Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Nitro Rock Crawlers Only

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:47 PM
The Hybrid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Rock Crawlers Only

Guess Ill just use my stock engine then...:P
And I will find a way to get over the nitro rc crawler hump (literally and figuratively) forget all this cant do and wont work...there is always a way...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 AM
savagecommander

yes!!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:21 AM
Talconda

Well, I don't know if this thread has ended. If it has ended and I just found it.... Bummer. I have been working on a Nitro R/C crawler for about a month now. I am using a Tmaxx 2.5 chassis and drive train. The chassis is going bye bye in place of a hand made aluminum chassis. The one off print drawing and measurements have been a bear but I am finally making some head way with manufacturing (and designing it so it's appealing) the chassis. I have locked the front and rear arms and as soon as I have the first chassis built I will work on the 4 link system. I have read through the feed and seen some haters, but mostly some serious ideas I will use on my own rig. I am going for the horizontal mount for my motor, but I think i am a few months away from that process. I soon will be locking the diffs, and the transmission is a whole other story. As far as over heating goes... I have tested quite a few different applications. I wnet with a standard CPU fan, this worked fine for a Maxx in standard motion (i.e. fast) But ripping it around my backyard at a slow pace, but keeping the RPM's up seemed to bring the temperature up higher than I wished. I am toying around with the idea of purchasing a CPU liquid cooling system. My idea was that the CPU coolers come with a small radiator, micro pump, and cooling fan which a runs the cooling gel they use and I have heard it really sucks the heat. With a little tweaking with some cooling tubes possibly wrapped around the head you could bring the heat down drastically, and could be powered with a four cell rechargeable unit. The whole deal would not weigh all that much and is a fairly small set up. What do you think? Have you tried this? Is it possible? ?
Old 11-22-2008, 03:58 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets see some progress pics!!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Nitrous-Oxide

Ok im gonna try and get this thread going again, i have been watching this as a guest for a long and im gonna try
try and build a nasty nitro crawler so please lets keep this going. ok im at the stage where im trying to design
an a chassis and i have taken alot of ideas from here, i'll tell you all what i work out...
Old 02-02-2009, 06:05 PM
dezfan

Not exactly comp worthy, but here is a nitro powered crawler that actually doesn't work half bad.

http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1166.flv

Now, if you can get rid of that annoying sound.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Anomie

That is a decent video and one of the most promising I have seen to date. Of course, my work PC has no sound so it was nice and quiet to me!

As for my truck, I am going to halt the production of the cooling and fuel systems and focus on making it run as an electric. I have put countless hours into the cooling reservoir and fuel tank along with their mounts, but I need to head in another direction if this thing is ever going to see the ground.

I finally picked up a radio that will be used with my steering so I can continue that and hopefully get some video of the system's operation. I have also begun the shock machining so I can post some pictures of that.

The decision to drop the nitro power for the time being is simply to allow me to see it run much sooner. My place of work may end up having its plug pulled and my shop access along with it. That would cripple my progress.

Oh well.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 AM
larry2008120

i was wondering if any one could tell me were i could get a nitro rock crawler at and is not crazy exspensive cuz im only 14 thx
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 AM
hands without shadows

Doesnt exist.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fixed it for you Hands!!

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Doesn't exist. You have to build one yourself!!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

I fixed it for you Hands!!

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Doesn't exist. You have to build one yourself!! It will take years!!
Updated
Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 AM
NY DIRT

What ???? You have never seen that new Prius Hybrid Electric Crawler ???? LOL.....Sorry....I just couldnt resist....I am done now.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Fordtrucks96

Seems that this thread hasnt had any action in a while. I to would like to build a scale crawler some day. Gas or nitro, doesnt matter as long as it isnt electric. Doesnt seem real to me if it doesnt have an engine. How is everyones projects comming togeather?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:07 PM
dezfan

ORIGINAL: Fordtrucks96

Seems that this thread hasnt had any action in a while. I to would like to build a scale crawler some day. Gas or nitro, doesnt matter as long as it isnt electric. Doesnt seem real to me if it doesnt have an engine. How is everyones projects comming togeather?

You could always mount a Parma Hemi engine in your electric crawler to make it more real.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Fordtrucks96

lol thats a good one. I dont have a crawler period. I have a 1/8th nitro MT and thats it. I think of one wanted a gas crawler that a gas to stroke for better yet, a 4 stroke is whats needed. Nitro is to much of a race engine to me.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:23 PM
ChuckCharleston

whats up guys, I'm a novicein the crawler world and I want to build a nitro crawler, where can I find a chassis set up that will support a.21 without having to make one? also I'm looking for advice on gear reduction and transfercases, do I need a tranny or does the gear reduction box take it's place? if anyone could help me out that would be great, maybe some websites or something, also too what type axles would be the best? thanks guys, this site is amazing
Old 06-09-2009, 08:24 PM
husky385

Just a heads up there are some people on this forum that would just as soon shoot you than allow you to make or buy,if you could find one, a nitro crawler.
Kevin
Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM
dezfan

*Cocks gun*
Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: ChuckCharleston

whats up guys, I'm a novicein the crawler world and I want to build a nitro crawler, where can I find a chassis set up that will support a.21 without having to make one? also I'm looking for advice on gear reduction and transfercases, do I need a tranny or does the gear reduction box take it's place? if anyone could help me out that would be great, maybe some websites or something, also too what type axles would be the best? thanks guys, this site is amazing
Your planning to do something that has never to my knowledge been done successfully. It will have to be mostly custom built, especially the chassis. Things like which axle is best to use is something you will have to research for yourself. There are just too many goods and bads about each axle to list and we dont even know what size crawler you want to build. I would start by looking at Kyosho Mad Force and Tamiya TXT axles but you will have to make the decision based on what you find. A transmission and gear reduction are basically the same thing in RC. You need reduction and a clutch, we dont know how much reduction because its never been done.

What I'm trying to get across is that we cant definitevely answer questions like that because your pioneering. You need to research to make decisions for yourself and ask really specific questions if you want this to become a reality.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:29 AM
rorannerusan

Hi guys it has been awhile and I have been pondering the nitro crawler issue and I may have found a solution to the problem. i am going to try this as soon as I get some more money. I am looking for 2 Tmaxx chassis, Tmaxx and an Emaxx transmission. I thought while playing with an Emaxx I got my mother who is in a wheel chair from an automobile accident in Hawaii why not use both the Emaxx and the Tmaxx trannies. I have decided to try and mount the Emaxx transmission up first  since it  is 2 speed shiftable Hi and low range this would be like a transfer case and then mount the Tmaxx transmission next since it has shiftable reverse. I would set the Tmaxx transmission like it is foc'd forward only conversion by locking the gears so it would go without jerkiness and when shifted into reverse it would go  still giving you the brake on the Tmaxx tranny. The gearing is the issue I am working to figure out in both transmissions. Those are the issues I have at the moment. I believe I can set the spur gear and the clutch gear similar to an electric motor and I believe I can eliminate the slipper clutch on the Tmaxx transmission. I think I can use electric motor type gears to connect the two trannies together. I will let you know what I find out as soon as possible. my axle set up will probably be kyosho mad force axles since I think they can be 4 linked easily. I will let you know what I come upwith Laterz.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:13 AM
littleskull99

The gear reduction - Mine is 400-1 for an engine that revs 20000 - 25000rpm
I have been working on the nitro lately and have addressed the clutch and steering. The clutch is now completley custom shoes with a harder spring so it can idle nicley and the steering now has zero ackerman blocks. I will get some pics and a fresh vid up soon.

Matt
Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Outridger

ok guys dont know if anyone is still reading this forum but i work in a machine shop so i can make many of my parts. i started with a t-maxx 2.5r ive left the front stock for now the rear is the same diff,axels, and knucklesbut removes the ifs stuff and ran 2 alluminum 1/2 in dia roads across. i mounted the 4 link to this and the shocks. i changed the trans to metal unit. added a servo on top of the rear axle for the 4 wheel steer and a switch on remote depending on if i want it to turn the same or the opposite as the front. now the for the best stuff the motor is now a 32 cc weed eater motor. the tires arefrom a 1/5 scale to helpkeep them from spinningas much. i first made this truck for pulls but it work for most of thecrawling i do. ill try toget some pictures if anyone want to see it
Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Sunny_B

Post the pics by all means.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Outridger

ok these pictures are a lil old befor the exhaust was done and the air intake problems where fixed. the 4wheel steer servo is also not installed yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32302.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1317150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75238.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1317151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28990.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1317152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18197.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1317153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92375.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1317154   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27521.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1317155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39019.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1317156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46685.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1317157  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42784.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1317158  
Old 11-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Pico Train

thats sick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.