Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

GST 7.7 Rock Crawlin'

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:51 PM
burningpoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GST 7.7 Rock Crawlin'

I'm spent to much of my day on youtube today useing a good amount of time checking out rc rock crawlin/mudding. My truck is basically bone stock. I'm not looking into getting her setup deep into this world but I was wondering if anyone has tryed my truck out on a simple course with the center diff locked. I'm also upgradeing to the nem front diff cup, drive shaft and break side cup. Did you changed your front/rear diff oil and what # did you use front and rear? I'm still running stock oil in shocks with no spacers and wondered if I should beef it up some or keep them as soft as they are now to try and keep the wieght closer to center? I'm also going to have her run rich so I can get a little longer run times, don't want to over bite if I hammer her, she likes to take off like a rocket[>:].

I can't find anything of people pushing the truck the way I'm going to be a few months from now. Nothing to crazy but mud/rock/dirt in a very uneven ground. The one spot I can think of off hand has some whoops(what ever the close humps one after another) mostlikly with water, soon to be mud from me, in the pits. Lots of fallen down trees and uneven ground spoted with more rocks and very old stone walls that are about 200 or so years old in all states of condition.

Using the stock GST 7.7 tires, they have had killer bite everywhere else so I'm hopeing for the same 350 miles away from home.

Any ideas, off the wall segestions or just to tell me it's a foolish idea would help.

thanks for your time

sorry about double post
Old 03-15-2008, 08:48 PM
NitroDemon18

Default RE: GST 7.7 Rock Crawlin'

NITROS CANT CRAWL! You'll blow the engine. Theres no proper way of cooling it and it puts it under too much stress. You'll burn the clutch right up. It just cant do it.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

I tried this with a MGT and it will work ok, but to be honest you would be better off buying a dedicated crawler..

But if you really want to use the GST the first thing you will need to do is LOCK all your diffs not just the center..

You will also want the clutch shoes to engage at lower rpms.. so use soft clutch springs and heavy clutch shoes... like these [link=http://www.novarcproducts.com/clutchshoes.html]CLICK ME[/link]

Run a nitro with the highest oil content you can find maybe hook up some sort of electric fan to blow over the engine to help with high temps.

Axial is coming out with a cheap rtr version of the ax10 which may be just what your looking for..
Old 03-16-2008, 01:40 PM
burningpoo

Wonder if the nx 76 will run on heli fuel...near me they have 30% nitro and 16% lube.

I'm not going for a true crawler, I just want to be able to get in and out of the nasty mess of stuff up where I'm going and still be able to run all out in the spots I can...

I'm going to have to use the learn by braking method

I ordered a new clutch so I'm not to worried about killing the one in the truck. I've seen people with fans cooling there heads but was told that there is a chance of interferance.

Think I'll start buying a GST piece by piece and try and make that into a crawler. Probably will go a different way, but I'm in no hurry, got alot of other projects going on as is...
Old 03-16-2008, 02:10 PM
burningpoo

ORIGINAL: NitroDemon18

NITROS CANT CRAWL! You'll blow the engine. Theres no proper way of cooling it and it puts it under too much stress. You'll burn the clutch right up. It just cant do it.
I beg to differ...They may not get long run times if you like your engine, can't get into all the messed up positions the other rigs can, but with the right angle and alot of luck I'm sure you could do most, or close to, of the things I see everyones sweet trucks doing. But what do I know, I don't mind being wrong 100 times to get it right 1.

At least now I have a mission....it will take some years problably...but I'll make a crawler from a nitro...you may be able to get better times/better places, but I'll be behind you working on a new plan to get me there.

Thanks for the words of inspiration
Old 03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
hands without shadows

You could build one and it will crawl, but not as well as electric. If you want a challenging to build and overly complicated rig that won't perform as well why not build a steam powered crawler? At least that won't have overheating problems, it won't lack torque, and you won't need a clutch. I want to.........someday.

With the right angle and a lot of luck you could launch it to the moon.....