Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Newbie to crawlers, questions.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Newbie to crawlers, questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 PM
S!N!ST3R RC hObbys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to crawlers, questions.

Im into boats and kinnda want to build somthing diffrent, the crawlers are getting popular in alabama and im about to buy the axial kit. Does it require any special tools, and how long does it take to build this kit? also, i was thinking about buying the vf dig trans...is it hard to put in??
Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 PM
dezfan

Default RE: Newbie to crawlers, questions.

It includes a 4 way wrench and some Allen wrenches. It's better to use a good set of Allen drivers and keep a set of needle nose handy. If you can follow simple instructions, the Axial kit is a breeze and can be completed in 2-4 hours. Can't help you on the VF dig as I don't use one.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:39 AM
azzman

Yup you will def be well pleased with a AX-10 kit...allow a bit longer than 2 - 4 hours tho...it takes about 1.5 hrs just to star cut the foams (recommended) and put the wheels together and by the time you get it together paint the body install radio gear ect it will be more like 8 hrs...great fun tho...
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 AM
fisherkip

I'd be inclined to agree with azzman on the time I think I was about 5 to 6 hr. putting mine together. Good hex drivers are a big plus just in saving strain on your hands and wrists especially putting the beadlocks together. Haven't put a dig on mine yet just made rear steering linkages last week. That is a major bonus I would recommend that first.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 AM
triggerman101
My Feedback: (2)

mine took about 5 1/2 with cutting foams. electric screwdriver with the allen tip will work good for the wheels. just stop before the screw strips out the hole. i didnt have one when i put mine together but i was wishing i did. thought about it the whole time.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:34 PM
SAVAGEBANE

i am new to this hobby. what is the advantage of beadlock wheels/tires. i am just gonna put them on a savage. i ask because i dont wanna fool with trying to glue a wheel on there straight and then have to bake it off when i change my mind. so..... beads sound like you screw it through the tire and into the wheel. i am just curious to know
Old 05-24-2008, 12:16 AM
chaman

Beadlocks are better suited for slow rigs like crawlers and scalers. In a Savage application they will continuously be coming off the wheel no matter how much you tighten them. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2008, 11:15 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEBANE
beads sound like you screw it through the tire and into the wheel
The screws don't go through the tire. The way beadlocks work is the tire sits in a groove on the wheel and the beadlock rings compress it when tightened.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
SAVAGEBANE

ok guys thanx for the info. now i know that beaads are not for my application. i do too many jumps and high speed stuff. in the future i am going to get into the crawlers. then i will be a regular around this thread.
thanx
Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Snaut Rocket

I find before you start tighnting into the plastic get a knife and make a taper to enlarge the whole.
Makes it alot easier when starting a screw
Old 05-26-2008, 11:38 AM
hkenvy91

the kit is pretty non eventfull putting together!

the vf dig is a tempermental beast! the guys ive seen with them are always havin problems with them!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 AM
claytonchambers

I am looking for acomplete list of tools I should buy for my crawler ax-10 kit. And also how hard is it to change a steering servo on a jato 3.3?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 AM
magnat

I have a Question...

I have some HPI 2.2 inch Truck Rims and I want to know whats the best Tyre I can get for them to grip onto smooth rock surfaces..

I was looking at the Proline Flat Iron Tyres ??

Can anyone recommend a set that don't need Bead locking ?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Sofwhitewolf
My Feedback: (2)

If i get the Ax-10 RTR kit and the X-trail Chasse. would i be able to utilize all that i get from the kit? i was thinking on buying a novak 55, but axles and shocks and rest would fit fine?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:36 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Sofwhitewolf

If i get the Ax-10 RTR kit and the X-trail Chasse. would i be able to utilize all that i get from the kit? i was thinking on buying a novak 55, but axles and shocks and rest would fit fine?
You can use the shocks, though the X-trail was designed to use a shorter shock. I believe (but am not certain) the hardware kit includes a set of smaller internal springs so you can run your shocks in what is known as a droop configuration. This will result in the shocks being normally compressed (as opposed to normally extended) and a lower ride height.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:44 AM
jlanders001

ORIGINAL: magnat

I have a Question...

I have some HPI 2.2 inch Truck Rims and I want to know whats the best Tyre I can get for them to grip onto smooth rock surfaces..

I was looking at the Proline Flat Iron Tyres ??

Can anyone recommend a set that don't need Bead locking ?
I don't know of any tire that HAS to be bead locked by design. I'm pretty sure that any tire can be glued as well as bead locked.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:47 AM
jlanders001

ORIGINAL: claytonchambers

I am looking for acomplete list of tools I should buy for my crawler ax-10 kit. And also how hard is it to change a steering servo on a jato 3.3?

Normal tools will suffice. Flat head and phillips screwdrivers, needle nose and regular pliers, razor knife, allen wrenched (good ones), soldering iron, solder, small to med nut drivers, etc, etc, etc.

Changeing a servo is no biggie. Just slap the new on in there and plug it back into the receiver.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
SAVAGEBANE

another tire to look at would be pro-line moabs. i think they7 would be good for crawling because of the tread going high on the sidewall
Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 PM
jwcustomwurks

ORIGINAL: drevil

ORIGINAL: Sofwhitewolf

You can use the shocks, though the X-trail was designed to use a shorter shock. I believe (but am not certain) the hardware kit includes a set of smaller internal springs so you can run your shocks in what is known as a droop configuration. This will result in the shocks being normally compressed (as opposed to normally extended) and a lower ride height.
The x-trail is for stock shocks but designed to run droop.