Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

No foam inserts?

Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 AM
ravenlunatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No foam inserts?

i tried this set up today with the stock ax10 kit tires and rims...

they seem to hold in a cushion of air after tightening up the bead lock rings. the soft feel of the tires gave a bit more grip on my test run. i like how much more tread it puts down onto the rocks. has anyone else tried this?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 PM
ravenlunatic

Default RE: No foam inserts?

guess i'm alone on this one.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:10 AM
cflight

If it's air-tightish they wont resize and stay collapsed if you hit hard.
Of course a breather whole solves that. Some tires yes and some too soft a side wall.

Your not alone, some tires are just to stiff with foam, pieing the foams is something I have yet to try on the softer side wall tires.....
Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 AM
chipracer

No foams and sealing the tire to the rim might be alright if your just going to run around on the ground without jumping or hitting any bumps. I have tried this with my revo and a set of t-max tires. I took the foams out, glued the tires on the rims so they were air tight and melted the hole shut in the rim. I did this so the tires wouldn't fill up with water when running in the wet grass. Not a good idea. While it did ok running up and down the road, the problem came when I took it to my off road track and hit some jumps. With nowhere for the air in the tire to go when it compresses it acts more like a basketball and just wants to bounce. This set up is also hard on the suspension because the tires usually soak up some of the ruff stuff. I would advise against it, but you can try it, I don't think it will take you long to come to the same conclusion I did.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While crawling and your tires hold air you will bounce like crazy, not a very controlled way of crawling. And your tires will seem harder on hot days and softer on cold days as the air trapped inside will expand and contract with Ambient Temps. I would remove the tires drill 2 1/8" breather holes in the rims and reinsert foams and find a "cut" on the foams that works for you. Or you could get some memory foams, there are more and more memory foams becoming available, I like prolines since they are inexpensive and seem to work well for me, but you will have to experiment to see what works for you.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:05 PM
madmax22

I just drilled holes in my rims, with the stock foams...
Old 05-22-2008, 05:30 PM
HighClassBasher

I just cut my stock foams into a star pattern... works great, plenty flexable[8D]
Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

That's what I did with mine. Two 1/8" holes and star cut the stock foams. When I first bought it I just mounted everything like the manual said but I noticed that air was trapped in the tires (like the TS said) but I found it didn't allow the tires to conform to the rock enough and was a little bouncy. With the holes and star cutting it works much better.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:49 PM
ravenlunatic

thanks for the responses guys...i've actualy been runing this set up for a for a few runs and it seems realy grippy for me. i feared the dreaded deflating issue and so far i have not experienced any, it seems the rings hold tight enough to where no air will escape. as for the bounce factor, i don't think the scopion wieghs enough to flatten out the tires, i've jumped it many times and noticed that the truck was bouncing alot more with the foams (it was the real reason i took them out). i'll be runing this set up untill i run into issues, if i do, i'll be sure to let you guys know.