RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Difference between 1.9 and 2.2 wheels

Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
sCram_U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Difference between 1.9 and 2.2 wheels

Hi all, Im very interested in rock crawlers. And I took a step ahead with the purchase of my first crawler - Tamiya CR01. Now theres something bugging me and that is the wheels. I had looked at different threads and forums but i cant find anything that specify the difference between 1.9 and 2.2 wheels. What does they mean by 1.9 or 2.2 wheels? Is it the wall diameter or the tyre thickness. Pardon me for the quest as im a noob in the crawler scene...........
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
guver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Difference between 1.9 and 2.2 wheels

It is the size of the wheel. Outside diameter. 2.2 tires go with 2.2 wheels.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
The Mad Modder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1.9" and 2.2" refer to the diameter of the wheel. 2.2s are used for all competition crawlers and some scale crawlers. Most scale crawlers use 1.9s because the look more realistic on 1/10 vehicles.

The biggest one is a monster tire, the middle a 2.2", and the smallest is a 1.9".
Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
sCram_U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks guys....i got it. So that means if i want to replace the the tyres and wheels for my CR01, it got to be 1.9. To be more scale. So can i use my old wheels back?
Old 10-19-2008, 01:08 AM
BRUSSER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So if i have a bunch of 1.9 tyres that i used on my other vehicles i can used in my PTI Crawler; actually i have 2.2 tyres on it but my son and i used for fun not into the competition ; it is ok to swab from 2.2 to 1.9 and whatother pinion can i use. thanks for any help can provide.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:57 PM
drevil

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: sCram_U

thanks guys....i got it. So that means if i want to replace the the tyres and wheels for my CR01, it got to be 1.9. To be more scale. So can i use my old wheels back?
1.9 and 2.2 refer to the wheel diameter. Your CR01 comes with 2.2 wheels and tires. If you want to change to 1.9 tires then you'll need to also get a set of 1.9 wheels. The hexes on the back of the wheels are the same so they should just bolt right onto your truck.

Also just realize that the smaller the tires you use the less capable your truck will be. Its just a trade off that you'll have to decide if it is worth it for you. 1.9" wheels/tires look more scale but aren't as capable. 2.2 tires are larger and more capable but dont look as scale. I'd say to decide what you're looking for and go with that. If you're looking to build a competition crawler then you'll definitely want to go with the 2.2s. If you're looking to build something scale looking then the 1.9s may be better.

Search this Thread