Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

this or that

Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
jeepin4fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this or that

Hi, I am in need of advice. I have a losi mini crawler, which is great for indoors, and easy to make courses, I also have a losi micro T, and micro DT. reasons I bought these was soI could use them indoors during the cold michigan winters. But now I want a more capable crawler but also want something I can bash with. Something I can hit some jumps with , and with different motors also be able to crawl larger scale . I have been looking at the HPI wheely king, or the rtr axial. I know the axial is designed for crawling, but I could put a faster motor in it for some jumps. All in all what would you do in my position
Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: this or that

Get the Traxxas Summit. It is built for some crawling and for bashing.........................

The Axial would never hold up if you tried jumping it........................
Old 10-22-2008, 11:04 PM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

build your own custom crawler/basher...make it how you want it, with the parts etc that you think you will need.

I'm currently doing a custom build that has the same goals in mind that you do..crawling and bashing..not too fast, but not too slow...enough torque to crawl when needed, and enough speed to make some decent jumps.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to the video for the Traxxas Summit http://www.traxxas.com/products/vide...it/5610_01.htm
Old 10-23-2008, 12:55 PM
jeepin4fun

Hi, thanks, I know what you mean about the axial not holding up, I've seen a few youtube videos where they were driven from different obstacles with a little speed and they rolled right over very easily. Thats why I was considering the wheely king, I know out of the box it wouldn't make a good crawler but it'd be a fun basher, and with the crawler conversion kit for it ( 50.00 ? ) it would be extended enough to not be so top heavy during bashing, and also a decent climber. I just do this stuff for fun, not competition so I thought that would be the way to go. As far as the traxxas summit, Uh heck yes I'd like to buy it, but it's a little pricey, and I don't like the fact of running two batteries, I think owning one would be a costly experience as far as batteries, maintenance etc.... And last about building one myself, HA, I mean i've built many of kits before but as far as building my own, I wouldn't know what parts to go with etc.. I have been away from RC hobby for over 10 years. I used to race every thursday in my hometown on an indoor carpet track. I ran monster truck class, my last vehichle i bought before I quit the hobby was the very first traxxas stampede, which replaced my sledghammer, and super blackfoot. That's how long it's been. and I sold off all my old Rc stuff about 8 years ago. So the losi crawler , and micros have been my first purchases in the last month, getting back into it. There is so much new to the hobby since i remember. Stuff like Lipo's , brushless, crawlers, etc.... none of that was around back when......... I own a real Jeep wrangler, and love to be offroad on trails or rocks, so I thought it was neat that RC is doing that stuff these days, But anyway, so yeah I am leaning towards the wheely king, because of the 4x4 and single motor, single battery operation. If I wasn't wanting 4x4, I'd buy a new stampede in a heartbeat, my old one took a heck of a beatin and never let me down. thanks for your input guys, i shoulda told you all this to begin with, I mean I'd love to peice together my own, but I don't have the smarts of todays products to know how. I love the look of the scale crawlers I see on youtube and magazines. That's a project I wouldn't mind doing someday. So for the wheely king, anyone here ever had a chance to run one? I know it's stupid short with stock wheel base, so the crawler kit would go in asap just to lengthen it out and make it more stable as a basher, and more aggressive on the rocks. thanks