Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Official Venom Creeper Rock Crawler thread..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Official Venom Creeper Rock Crawler thread..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:20 PM
BuddmanTx
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Venom Creeper Rock Crawler thread..

Wow thats the first I've heard of the tranny going poof........Should be interesting to see the results when you are done.......
Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM
zman5000

this is a first mockup as the mayhem chassis is longer so i have to find/make links, i'm close on the wheelbase.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90083.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1429763  
Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 PM
zman5000

i did get the venom/axial running and i can't get over how quiet it is. i have mip driveshafts ordered as the stockers and traxxas are not quite long enough, and they could be weak at that extension. i also have to get a new body as i had to mount the battery on the side of the chassis and my old body doesn't hang down to protect it. though with this setup i do have equal weight side to side, and i can put lead whereit's needed. i also had to soften up the springs and run a semi droop suspension to get it right. with the mayhem chassisthere just isn't much room to mount eletronics, so that is still a work in progress. but as always we as racersare always working on ourstuff to make itworkbetter.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:16 PM
snort

Got it all together and ran for 20 minutes on top of bed just to see it work. Only the right side, both front/back pulled & the nothing but a spinning sound. Oh, do I have to tear it all down to get to the gears? Can I replace the stock with aluminum? How can I avoid stripped gears all together?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 PM
zman5000

did your pinion gear come loose? or maybe a driveshaft? i took my hybrid venom to a crawl today and it was a bit problematic at first but it got better as the day went on. it actually didn't turn a wheel until i got there as i was waiting on mip driveshafts, so the result was ok.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:45 PM
snort

It appears that the pinon has shifted. The way I normally mesh the gears with a piece of paper is impossible, I would think with this truck. The pinon spins freely in forward, yet grips in reverse.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:20 PM
zman5000

on my venom what i did was the plastic behind the motor plate was not letting the motor screws tighten properly. so i took a dremel and removed all the plastic from around the motor mount area and all was good. i also when i want to pull the motor i take out the 4 screws from the motor plate to the trans case and then you can just start the motor screws and when you reinstall the plate all you have to do is set the mesh, much less painless.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:58 AM
snort

I'm still not fully understanding the lock diff option on the axle. Now my creeper is fulling F/R on the right side only. I'm puzzled. Also the drive shafts keep coming loose. I really want this to work so I can enjoy crawling. Along the same lines, why did Venom offer the dig unit seperate if its so important? Exactly what does it do? Benefits?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM
zman5000

the diff lock on the axles is problematic at best, most guy put aluminum diff spools from rcbros.com, then get the venom dig unit for manuverability. you also need to use blue loctite on any and all setcrews and let it sit overnite to cure. and as mentioned before to eliminate cvd pins from breaking go get some .078 music wire from the lhs and just use a dremel to cut your own pins, bulletproof. and if you use a 3 cell lipo watch those tranny gears, they are plastic and i don't know of any metal replacements. good luck
Old 05-24-2010, 09:51 PM
snort

After re-reading the last few posts and looking over the manual some more, I suppose I have nothing to do other than disassemble the gearbox and mount the motor with the cover off. Since assembling the gearbox is the first item in the manual, why in the world didn't Venom put mounting the motor as the second instruction?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM
zman5000

venom group is just like any other manufactuer they all have their quirks, and the low price should be an incentive to build better and upgrades don't hurt the wallet as much. cheer up it could be worse, just think if you bought a kyosho or tamiya crawler where would you be now. and you would have spent 3 times more.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Orion1024

Why would you need to disassemble the transmission to mount the motor? I'll agree that getting the gear mesh set correctly is a real hassle having to look way down into the transmission, but do it right once and it's done with. That's why I used large flat head motor screws and Loctite to make sure the motor wouldn't ever budge. I don't see how your problem is related to the transmission anyway. Aren't you saying that the wheels on one side turn but not on the other? If so, that would be a problem in the diffs. To keep the axle drive pins in place you're going to need to put in two set screws and then cover the pin with heatshrink tubing. The driveshafts do have a tendency to slip off the transmission and diffs. You could either try putting a small dimple on the shaft for the set screw to sit into, or put some sort of sticky adhesive on the shaft. I'm going to try the latter, but I'm not sure what I'll use. If that doesn't work, I'll get out the dremel with a small ball cutter and put a spot on the shaft.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 PM
snort

I took the tranny cover off and pulled the gearing out except for the bottom shaft. The spur was stripped smooth. Went I get a new one, I plan on meshing the pinion/spur before covering it all back up. Could you tell me why I sometimes see the lower links with a piece of lexan or aluminum held with loc ties?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 AM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: snort

I took the tranny cover off and pulled the gearing out except for the bottom shaft. The spur was stripped smooth. Went I get a new one, I plan on meshing the pinion/spur before covering it all back up. Could you tell me why I sometimes see the lower links with a piece of lexan or aluminum held with loc ties?

We put out batteries and receivers on them to get the weight lower.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 PM
rc-tatertot

what tools are needed for the kit
Old 02-10-2011, 05:30 PM
zman5000

a really good set of hex drivers, such as integy, duratrax, or hudy. 0.50 through 3mm.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

Dude! I'm reading this in disbelief! You guys would scare anyone away from creepers with this madness! Orien is totally correct, you put the tranny together way wrong if you are indded having all of these problems. Venom didn't make installing the motor the second step because it's not that difficult to do after it's built! Unless, again, you have totally mukked up the build to begin with. Gotta say, this is what drives me nuts about people who bad-mouth a model or brand. Sounds like you'd have problems with any kit! As a satisfied and longtime venom owner,(as well as other brands) sell it to someone who is inclined to take the directions and do it right the first time.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 AM
burner323

Im with you JADO 6 everyone please stopping bashing venom the guys at venom are pretty cool if your having problems they can help.
I got my creeper the day they were available and yes there were problems but they did everything to make it right. The creeper dose get over looked in the world of crawling but thats just because the rest of the world is stupid. OK now iv got alot of miles on my creeper and for the most part all is good but iv gone through two trannys now. The stock one lasted a very long time when it broke i just order a new car because i wanted to have some extra parts and it was cheap. So i built a all new tranny everything new it lasted the weekend now Iam running a 18.5 brushless motor with a 13 pinion with 3700 lipo some may think thats to much power but the first tran lasted all most two years no way its to much power. So im looking for someone to make billet gears hope it works out

AB designs chassis
novak goat 18.5
chisels tires billet wheels ea Front 17oz Rear 4 oz
Airtronics servo 94780
HR lockouts and c-hubs with knuckles
MIP custom drive lines
FLM lockers
CC BEC
Venom aluminum shocks
Spektrum DX3R
Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 PM
snort

I had just about forgot this post. Guess I did come off as to be bashing the Creeper. I had many issues in the beginning. Like you suggest I started thinking I should just sell it on ebay and move on. After listing it 3 times with no sale, I chose to make the best out my the situation. With help from my brother, we go the axles issues working. Then I got a pair of the Hot Racing rear axles lockouts. So far the only thing no working is the right front wheel fails to pull. I hope to see that change for the better soon. I guess now the only was I will get rid of it is by wearing it out.
You can read more about it on my [link=http://minitrux.net]site[/link].
Old 02-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

Hey burner, good stuff. I ran a pretty mild esc/motor combo for the first year or so, then switched to a goat w/18.5 and a big 5000 mah li-po with a 35c burst. And it's been cool ever since. That was about 2 yrs. ago. If you source out some alum. or steel gears, let me know. Bet i could implode the tranny tomorrow if i knew i had some heavy duty guts to replace them with! Thanks.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:49 PM
zman5000

i just used a mayhem chassis with an axial trans ( with steel gears )to rid myself of trans problems, of course i just ordered a scx10 chassis kit and i'm turning the venom creeper into a scaler
Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM
fushigi

how much would a truck like this cost?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM
zman5000

i did get the venom converted over to a scaler/trailrig. as our local club doesn't allow a dig this was a much cheaper way to go. around here a moa crawler is the way to go so that's why i did this. i don't have the body done yet. i installed a traxxas vxl system in it and does it have wheel speed, even with a 6 cell nimh. i think the venom axles look better than the axial's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77405.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1568894  
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 PM
rc-tatertot

about 130-125 i got mine new on ebay its awsome but sadly the green kit is cheaper so in order too go along with the green aluminum im doing a monster energy drink theme
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM
rc-tatertot

wow whats with the velinion systemare you racing or crawling that thing awsome conversion though where did you get the conversion
ORIGINAL: zman5000

i did get the venom converted over to a scaler/trailrig. as our local club doesn't allow a dig this was a much cheaper way to go. around here a moa crawler is the way to go so that's why i did this. i don't have the body done yet. i installed a traxxas vxl system in it and does it have wheel speed, even with a 6 cell nimh. i think the venom axles look better than the axial's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.