Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

The Force is Strong with This One - Kyosho Rock Force Resource Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

The Force is Strong with This One - Kyosho Rock Force Resource Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Force is Strong with This One - Kyosho Rock Force Resource Thread!

I thought this kit is very interesting from the engineering perspective.. so I look forward to build it up and check it out!

Link at Kyosho America:

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/cars/in...part_num=30984
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61414.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1182050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53344.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1182051  
Old 04-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Lunchboxer

Default RE: The Force is Strong with This One - Kyosho Rock Force Resource Thread!

Straight from the Kyosho website...

The main attractions for me are: Worm gear and the factory DIG system. (Too bad that's a "hop up" / optional part that you have to purchase separately [:@] )

Features

Mainly the United States has made significant movement to take rock crawling mainstream. Crawling course are set up on a rocky mountain face and the objective is for your vehicle to clear a section of the course. The Rock Force 2.2 was designed from the ground up to give you the best competition level base kit. This kit will break the standard rock crawler mold, with the first crawler in the industry using worm gear technology. Worm gear gives you the benefit of a lower gear ration and a smaller diff case area, which comes in handy when maneuvering over a difficult course that calls out for ground clearance.

Motor & Battery Placement Is Key - The placement of the motor and battery gives you low center of gravity position to give you optimal balance.

TVC Chassis - Twin Vertical Chassis design makes for a supper high rigidity chassis designed specifically to clear any space that is required.

Super Compact - Front and rear gearboxes are supper compact thanks to New Kyosho Worm Gear Technology, this translates to better ground clearance.

Worm Gears - Worm gear gives you the benefit of a lower gear ration and added strength by hardened steel gears.

No Special ESC - By using the worm gears in the Rock Force�s diffs that eliminates the need for a special ESC. You can buy a standard Perfex ESC and go compete and don�t worry about being docked points for sliding backwards because that problem was eliminated completely.

Standard - The Rock Force is user friendly and is meant to be use with standard radio equipment. No need to buy a special ESC or transmitter.

4WDS - 4 Wheel Drive Steering allows front steering and rear steering simultaneously or individually. *Cannot be combined with rear drive disconnect functions or rear drive lockout functions.

Dig System - The dig system in the Rock Force is activated by and optional linkage system, this system comes in handy during those tight turn scenarios
Telescopic Center Drive Shafts - Center telescopic drive shafts extends out on both ends for maximum angle.

Suzuki Jimny - The Classic Suzuki Jimny Rock Crawler body is included with the Rock Force Kit.

Wheels - The rock force will come with industry standard 2.2 wheels so there will be no shortage of cool Rock Force after market components.

The 7 Advantages Of A Worm Gear Transmission

1. Large Gear Reduction In Compact Space - Worm gear design allows a large gear reduction ratio to be fitted into compact space that also delivers high strength and easy maintenance. The small number of moving gears also minimizes the potential for trouble and results in greater reliability.

2. High-Cost Special Motors And Esc's Are Not Required! - The large gear reduction ratio works fine with the standard power motor with output of 20 to 27 turns. In addition to avoiding the high-cost of special motors, highly efficient and powerful torque delivers excellent low range control.

3. Self-Locking Function Doesn't Require A Special ESC. - No special ESC is required as the one-way drive transfer of the worm-gears prevents reverse rotation of the tires so the tires lock automatically when the throttle is released. This also provides powerful stopping effect on steep slopes and works well with standard speed controllers. A special rock-crawler ESC with a drag brake is not required.

4. Minimizes Torque Twist - Large gear reduction ratio on the axle side enables a transmission with smaller 1st gear reduction to be positioned directly behind the motor. Torque load on the propeller shaft is reduced and this allows torque twist (characterized by the tires floating up) to be minimized and traction to be maintained for decisive rock crawling performance.

5. Makes Full Use Of Suspension Stroke. - The slight angle of the propeller shaft with the machine in a 1G state (resting on the ground at normal posture) allows plenty of extension for the suspension stroke. In addition, the minimal refraction angle of the universal joints produces higher drive efficiency and controls loss of drive power.

6. Reduces Interference From Contact - Drive shafts can be offset on top of the front - rear axle units to provide greater ground clearance and therefore reduce the risk of contact with surface objects.

7. Ultra-Tough Worm Gear Unit. - Tempered steel results in super-strong gears, heavy-duty specifications have the durability to withstand severe kickbacks.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:56 PM
dezfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Force is Strong with This One - Kyosho Rock Force Resource Thread!

It's really to bad, the RF has been such a huge disappointment.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Lunchboxer

You don't like it? Care to share?

I bought it just because of the complexity of things.. I am not into competitive crawling.. so it is fine with me.. !
Old 04-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Lunchboxer

RCCarAction's preview on the Rock Force:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE4_P3P5BKY
Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Lunchboxer

I think for this rig, I am only interested in 2 options..

RFW001 - rear DIG
RFW002 - high speed gearset

I might just get the DIG first.. the optional gearset can wait.. !
Old 04-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Casper06

ORIGINAL: dezfan

If you're gonna make a statement like that back it up with useful information.

Anyways looking forward to this one you may convince me to get another crawler
Old 04-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Lunchboxer

LOL, no worry.. we will find out if it is any good or not soon! The kit is inbound, so next week I hope!

Although as stated that I am not a hardcore crawler, so I will probably just comment about the kit the way I see is base on my limited crawling experience.. still, would be fun to see how it all come together and such!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:55 PM
dezfan

ORIGINAL: Casper06

If you're gonna make a statement like that back it up with useful information.

Anyways looking forward to this one you may convince me to get another crawler
Go the RC Crawler were crawling information is abundant. Then go to the RF forum and read. Unfortunately the RF is a huge disappointment. The chassis is a turd, the gear reduction is beyond excessive. the suspension leaves much to be desired, the body is not legal for competition, the tires are horrible, the wheels are worse, the dig system has trouble disengaging do to the excessive reduction, ect, ect, ect..........
Old 04-17-2009, 08:57 PM
dezfan

Sorry, double post.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Lunchboxer

I wonder maybe that's why many ended up getting the high speed gearset (regarding your gear reduction comment)...

I will try to run a 550-sized motor and maybe 25-26T pinion to start with..

Will see what kind of wheel speed it generates... !!

Go the RC Crawler were crawling information is abundant. Then go to the RF forum and read. Unfortunately the RF is a huge disappointment. The chassis is a turd, the gear reduction is beyond excessive. the suspension leaves much to be desired, the body is not legal for competition, the tires are horrible, the wheels are worse, the dig system has trouble disengaging do to the excessive reduction, ect, ect, ect..........
Old 04-17-2009, 11:48 PM
dezfan

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

I wonder maybe that's why many ended up getting the high speed gearset (regarding your gear reduction comment)...

I will try to run a 550-sized motor and maybe 25-26T pinion to start with..

Will see what kind of wheel speed it generates... !!

I've seen a few w/ the "high speed" gear-set and a 4600 KV brushless motor and it is still overly slow. IMO w/ the size of the chassis and the gear reduction, the RF was supposed to be a Super. When Kyosho saw the popularity of the 2.2 class they retrofitted in as a 2.2 w/o making the necessary changes it needed other than meeting the tire and wheelbase requirements.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Lunchboxer

Interesting point.. I will see how slow it is when I finally get it built up! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
The Mad Modder

LOL, no worry.. we will find out if it is any good or not soon! The kit is inbound, so next week I hope!

Although as stated that I am not a hardcore crawler, so I will probably just comment about the kit the way I see is base on my limited crawling experience.. still, would be fun to see how it all come together and such!
Nice. It looks like it has some real crawling potential.
What is this, your third non-Tamiya RC?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Lunchboxer

LOL, 4th..

Kyosho Blizzard EV DF300
AE TC4 FT
AE T4 FT converted to J82

Edit:

Actually, it is the 5th.. I got a Robotronics Scalpel 1/18th pancar as well.. [:@]
Old 04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Some competition crawlers are conflicted with the worm gear setup in my experience. Worm gears can't free roll like a standard diff- they just hold. There are times I have seen competitions when setting that dig to rear free roll and just driving off of front wheel drive can really get crawlers in and out of tight spots. The good news is, yours is going to be an awesome build and I look forward to it! At the end of the day, Kyosho makes some of the highest quality stuff around.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Lunchboxer

Dale,

That's an interesting point. The optional dig kit for the rear axle is setup to allow 3 different position, though.. Disconnect (free), drive, and dig (lock).. given that your radio is capable of doing 3-position control on the 3rd channel (mine will be setup to do so).. so we will see how that works!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93647.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1183632  
Old 04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
dezfan

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Some competition crawlers are conflicted with the worm gear setup in my experience. Worm gears can't free roll like a standard diff- they just hold. There are times I have seen competitions when setting that dig to rear free roll and just driving off of front wheel drive can really get crawlers in and out of tight spots. The good news is, yours is going to be an awesome build and I look forward to it! At the end of the day, Kyosho makes some of the highest quality stuff around.
Quality isn't a concern w/ the RF. Design and execution is.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
VXL_Champ

My buddy just got done building his new RF and while it looks good and seems to crawl good it is SLOOOOW. It's his first crawler so he's still learning and tweaking, hopefully it can gain some wheel speed.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Lunchboxer

That's cool.. I can't wait to get mine (should be here this week) so I can start building it!!

If he has any pics of his RF, he is welcome to post some here!!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Lunchboxer

With the Kyosho logo and all, I am guessing that this might be the official promo video for the RF? Not sure..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2J5ShEl-eA
Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Lunchboxer

A review of the RF at RC411!

http://www.rc411.com/pages/reviews.php?review=78
Old 04-23-2009, 12:39 PM
grimgard

For the price ($369.99 and up) I would expect a better enginered crawler. I will be sticking with Axial products and supporting american companies in the process. My AX10 and SCX10 are rock solid and at least $100.00 cheaper. Cant beat that.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Lunchboxer

There are deals to be had if you look around.. I don't think RF are selling that well!

I don't think Kyosho are known for "good value"! Agree with you there!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Casper06

A review of the RF at RC411!

http://www.rc411.com/pages/reviews.php?review=78
Based on this review it looks to be a good car. When does the damn thing arrive I wanna see pics! [&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.