Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

looking for a Rock Racer

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 PM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a Rock Racer

I like the thought of a dual purpose crawler. Im thinking about getting the new Axial RTC 90011 but I know that is setup for straight crawling out of the box. What would be a good motor/gear combo for both crawling and bashing with that new RTC. I know the older RTR AX 10 does both but Im assuming the RTC is basically an updated version with better shocks and links and is a little longer I think.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:26 AM
engineerjoe

Default RE: looking for a Rock Racer

Yep the RTC is going to be a great starting point for just about anything you want to do with crawlers. It should be a great rock racer.

I'd suggest a holmes hobbies 7T or 10T puller motor on 3s lipo. plenty of torque and an amazing amount of wheelspeed. I believe he's low on inventory so act fast. anothe option might be a handwond 35T or even a very nice 27T motor (alot less torque than the puller but probably the same to end)

i hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
evlwevl

I'll take a look at both of those options.
I have 3s lipos from my planes but does anyone make a LVC for an ESC that does not include one such as the one you would get in an Axial RTR or RTC?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:17 PM
engineerjoe

Novak has a 3s lipo cutoff

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRHU6&P=7

i don't run a cutoff on any of my R/C's, you just have to pay close attention to the rig and at the moment you feel a little bit of power loss, it's time to stop, don't drive an inch more.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Hills Hobby

I like my AX10, but I wanted something BIGGER.  I got a Traxxas Summit, and it actually crawls pretty well.  Of course, it is in no way comp legal, but it is fun to crawl with when we're at the dam, and gets a TON of looks.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Old Sloppy

ORIGINAL: engineerjoe

Novak has a 3s lipo cutoff

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRHU6&P=7

i don't run a cutoff on any of my R/C's, you just have to pay close attention to the rig and at the moment you feel a little bit of power loss, it's time to stop, don't drive an inch more.

I run a LVC on my 12s 7,400 mah Lipo powered boat, just in case I am having a little too much fun.

"Dimension Engineering" sells two different models. 6s
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/CellShield.htm

and 12s
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/LipoShield.htm

adapter, if needed
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=213

Joe is correct, however I recomend some type of low voltage protection, even if you never activate it. (never run batterys low)

Harry
Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

I have an SCX10 that I'm making into a rock racer. So far, I have changed the gearing and painted a racier body, but I plan to install a Novak brushless system and power it withone of my2S1P LiPo batteries. Since the Novak systems are sensored I expect that they will all work for my needs, but I don't need anything too fast. I may just go with a Novak Crawler system.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58708.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1207645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90426.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1207646  
Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 PM
evlwevl

well I ended up with something completely different, I got lured into the super size thing and went with an XTM X-Crawler. the fact that they cut the price in half during a sale also helped too. It looks pretty stout, but there are some things I'll have to go through and modify which I read about. Only downside is this truck got expensive really quick. I ended up going with 2 Novak Crawler Esc, 2 55t motors, a Reedy 5000 7.4 Lipo and have yet to get the spektrum DX3R that Ican also share the Tamiya sand scorcher I've been restoring. I'll have just under $1,000 into it for a basic setup in my opinion. My brother got one as well during the sale and probably will return his because he just doesnt want to spend the money to finish it. Hes now looking at the Summit. I'll give this truck a go. and if it doesnt keep me interested, I'll go back to the Axial RTRI originally wanted.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 PM
evlwevl

btw, I went with the new long version Baja bug body for Tmaxx/Savage and it looks awesome(no paint yet). I bought the crawler baja body for it as well and it looks tiny and doesnt fit so that one will get painted and go to ebay or something. Alpha, thats a nice looking crawler, The SCX is another option if this X-Crawler doesnt work out for me
Old 05-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

Well, I installed a Velineon brushless system in the crawler today. It got up to full speed pretty quickly (maybe 10 or 12 mph), but within two minutes of running the plastic driveshaftgoing to the front differential twisted off.Oh well, I guess it was not made for speed. I could always install the steel driveshafts like those on my Ax10, but that may be more than I want tospend for a rock racer since I have no one with whom to race.