Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Building Rock Crawler Course and Rally Course

Okay guys I am turning the corner of my backyard into a mountain range surrounded by a rally course.

Attached is the mock up layout of how I went to set it up. The circles and ovals are where I will be stacking broken concrete/rocks/gravel. The areas in between I will be laying down with pebbles then dirt pack and dig some mild jumps and dips...probably lay down some hard tarmac (dig up some holes in the dirt and lay down bricks).

Oh yeah it's going to be wet for sure....mud, water, dips, and jumps the whole 9 yards haha...

Anyone got ideas or better setup for crawling? I want to somehow connect it but still allowing a figure 8 and some straight sections for the rally track.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh14557.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	1298184  
    \"...they call me tater salad.\"

RE: Building Rock Crawler Course and Rally Course

The place where we run our crawlers has tall hills with concrete poured down over them and it makes for some pretty cool, joined obstacles. It might be an idea for connecting all of the crawling parts together if your course going to be fairly permanent. Some rally courses have sections of road, so you could continue the concrete down in a section of the figure eight, so that your course is on and off road.

You could also make a 'log' slat bridge to join a couple of sections so that you could go over or under.
    Wife and dog missing ... $1000.00 reward for dog.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The bridge is a cool idea never thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion...btw Spring, TX?!

Ithought I was the only crazy nut with 9 r/c rigs around Houston...where do you crawl at?

We should meet up sometime I just got onto the crawler scene for about a few months not too much experience...I have an AX10 kit build with 4ws which I had to get rid of since I had to use the rear servo in another car...

But now that I am only running one servo it's almost toast due to the amount of weight I am using in the tires and axles so in the market for a stronger one with more torque...

I hadn't noticed that you were a local guy. We crawl at: http://www.springcreekoffroad.com/

My buddy and I both have AX10 Scorpions with rear steer and we constantly try to out-do each other with various mods. You're welcome to come crawling with us the next time we go (neither of us are really all that good). I'll send you a pm a few days in advance.

Larry's hobby shop on the corner of I45 and FM1960 has $35.00 metal gear Futaba servos that work just fine for me. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmmm...I don't know about the Hitec Servos....I used to run four wheel steering with Traxxas 2075 Servos front and rear with 125 oz-torque so that they are waterproof and I have a watersealed box setup as well...

However I took off the rear servo and converted it back to front steer which overloaded the front servo and now it's about to give since I put too much weight on the rig....now Traxxas is being extremely arrogant even though I have 3 Traxxas rigs registered, a TRX 3.3 motor registered, an XL-5 registered, and have been a Traxxas supporter for a long time. It is only 2 months old and I lost the receipt and now they want me to send it in for repairs and charge me....

So yeah Ido not support Traxxas anymore unless I absolutely need a Traxxas part. So basically need a 200 oz servo minimum torque servo.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Alpha Male

I hadn't noticed that you were a local guy. We crawl at: http://www.springcreekoffroad.com/

My buddy and I both have AX10 Scorpions with rear steer and we constantly try to out-do each other with various mods. You're welcome to come crawling with us the next time we go (neither of us are really all that good). I'll send you a pm a few days in advance.

Larry's hobby shop on the corner of I45 and FM1960 has $35.00 metal gear Futaba servos that work just fine for me. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
    Do they charge you to go crawl during the week?
    We used to bash there a couple of years ago, but I have been meaning to take the AX10 out there.

Beat your truck like it owes you money!
    www.rccoh.com

I'm not sure what they would do if you showed up. The guy working the booth at the entrance kind of knows us, referes to us as the 'RC crawler guys' and never make us pay anything. The people who come with 1:1 crawlers, motorcycles and quads have to pay $10 per day. It would be worth the money for a day of playing, IMO.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I worked with the owner and his son (who was into RC) for while to let us out there for free. The kid would let us, the owner (dad) would not. We also wanted a roped off section because we had kids and didn't want them run over by the free ranging 1:1 vehicles. Nothing ever happened, so we gave up on Spring Creek.

Beat your truck like it owes you money!
    www.rccoh.com