Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

summit transmission???

Old 10-23-2009, 09:44 AM
andybenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default summit transmission???

hey, ive got an axial ax10, and im looking to get some more speed out of it and still be able to crawl, me and my buddies have a scale trail setup with some deep mud and rocks and jumps and stuff, and for the jumps and dips i kinda want it to go faster, my other buddies run brushless and lipo, no problem for them but i cant afford that kinda hardware.

so i guess what im asking is does any one think it would be possible for me to use the traxxas summit two speed trans (70.1 gear ratio in low, 25.1 gear ratio in high) to get a little more speed when i swith it into high gear.

i use the novak 55 with the rooster crawler esc on an axial ax10 scorpion artr. so any thoughts or suggestions????
Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Default RE: summit transmission???

RC4WD has a transmission that is a 3 speed as well as a 2 speed for much cheaper. [link=http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/index.php?cPath=25]RC4WD tranny's[/link] ..You can also buy a 3 speed Tamiya (hilux) tranny. I have nothing about using a summit tranny. You can always use a larger pinion and smaller spur gear and/or install a lower T motor.

Good luck

Z
Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
andybenton

well i like my set up, but i will definatly check out those trannys thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 03:20 PM
K_B

I had originally bought an RC4WD 2-speed for my scaler and decided to just go with a lower turn motor and higher voltage instead of the 2-speed. The Summit tranny might be too big, the RC4WD trannies are noisy and sometimes unreliable. It also means you have to run another servo for shifting duties which just adds to the complexity. The less moving parts you have, the more reliable the thing will be.

So if you drop down to a 45 or 35T motor and up your voltage to 7-cells, you should have some decent wheelspeed while still maintaining decent torque as well. Ideally, you'd wanna run 11.1V lipo, but the Novak Crawler speed control won't do that much voltage.

As far as lipos being expensive, you can get batteries and chargers from www.hobbycity.com for super cheap; less than $30 for batteries and around $30-40 for a lipo/nimh charger.