Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

What's the big deal about rock crawlers?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

What's the big deal about rock crawlers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the big deal about rock crawlers?

Ok, maybe someone can enlighten me on this great mystery that iv'e been pondering for awhile. What is about rock crawling that's made it so popular the last two years? I've seen a few of my friends locally slowly and painfully crawl their way up dirt hills and some rocks and I honestly don't see what the attraction is.

I half assed tried doing some rock crawling with my Flux on some rocky boulders and rough dirt hills earlier this year and I honestly got bored as all hell with the slow and mundane pace of driving the truck thats about ready to get stuck or flipped over at any moment. Woopee, what fun. Give me high speed runs and flinging dirt in the air anytime of the day and landing *or not landing* jumps to watch the truck bounce around, now thats RC!

I think I would die of shear bordem if I went to a rock crawling competition where every thing looks like it runs at a snails pace.

Seriously, what's the attraction with this?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:26 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What's the big deal about rock crawlers?

Because going slow is just as fun as going fast..........................
Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some People Just Cant Be Cured! LOL
Old 12-07-2009, 03:35 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't enjoy rock crawling with a truck built for bashing. With the correct truck however, people enjoy the challenge of negotiating difficult terrain slowly and methodically.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Shafted

Why do you like going fast ?

To me crawling is like a chess game, you have to think about your next move, not everyone has the forethought to plan out the next line and pull it off, some people just bash past everything...

My crawler isn't a full on rock crawler, it moves at a slow jogging pace, slings mud and sand....

Every body has his own likes and dislikes. Thats why they have more than one type of RC !
Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Shafted

Every body has his own likes and dislikes. Thats why they have more than one type of RC !
+1 It really depends on the person's preferences. Myself, I like trucks that can drive just about anywhere, even if it means sacrificing speed. It's just what I like.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

There is a certain satisfaction in watching your truck climb over an obstacle that would otherwise look impossible to tackle. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] Precision is more challenging than speed, IMO.

I personally like the look and perfomance of a scale crawler the best, but it seems that I had to own three slow trucks in order to meet every aspect of this angle of RC; scale/trail truck, all out rock crawler as well as a rock racer.

To each his own and all of them for me, thanks! [8D]
Old 12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
engineerjoe

Ok, maybe someone can enlighten me on this great mystery that iv'e been pondering for awhile. What is about speed runs that's made it so popular? I've seen a few of my friends locally hitting higher and higher speeds and I honestly don't see what the attraction is.

I half assed tried doing some High speed runs with my SCX-10 on a sidewalk earlier this year and I honestly got bored as all hell with the agonizing flatness of the terrain. Woopee, what fun. Give me crawling a new line and hanging a tire in the air anytime of the day and searching for traction, now thats RC!

I think I would die of shear bordem if I went to a fast competition where every thing looks so flat and easy to negotiate.

Seriously, what's the attraction with this?

Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

this is one reseason i talked my boss in to getting the traxxes summint . plue the fact that its water proof . it has the two speed tranny that alows for some pretty good crowling and then kick it in to gear and hit 40-45 mph . he loves it
Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 PM
BADASSPONY

Its cuz our crawlers will go anywhere we aim them!!! Real slow!!!!!!!!!

And to make you ask questions!!!! Maybe when you grow up you might understand why we like crawling!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM
860Crawler

haha!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 PM
MTboy

For me, it's another side to the hobby. I've enjoyed and still do other sides but find scale/crawling to give it alittle more then just speed and running around a track. To give it out own look or making aline is just as exciting as doing 50mph passes or flying threw the air.
Where I live you can't always find others to race or bash but going out in the yard or out camping with some sweet trails you can enjoy another side. With snow, building just makes time go by..
To each there own, and all be happy.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Anomie

A bit more perhaps...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9274844/tm.htm
Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 PM
BADASSPONY

On a serious note. Ive been around this hobby for years and for me crawling is the most satisfying of all. The challenge of making the "impossible" line, building the rig, and the family nature of crawling makes it the best. Not to mention theres ALOT less stress and breakage!!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Shafted

Well under a diff log-in name I was in the first crowd to purpose build a linked crawler, gear the wee out of it and crawl my way to happiness..... look up TwinForced.
Now I own a Store Bought crawler ! I about wanted to take it apart and rebuild it just to make me feel better........... LOL
Old 12-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Smiff 24

For me its the scale look, and being slower ads to the realism.
I like trail drivin more than rock crawlin.....just relaxing to me.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 PM
alexchen86

Haha EngineerJoe too witty on that one.

I got into rock crawling due to the fact that the rigs are a challenge to configure the right setup for what terrain/course you have. Trying to build a rig on a budget is what most of us do. Then on top of that you make do with what you have and you learn what your rig can handle and what it can't.

What it can't handle you learn to build it better.

Then I just went and got a used Summit last night...haha wonder how it will do on my backyard course...

Old 12-10-2009, 08:26 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

JUST BECAUSE
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 PM
The Mad Modder

This is one of those threads that someone makes on a whim and people keep on replying. Notice the OP isn't responding. The mods should delete this.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Shafted

I'm just posting to be posting in a non responsive type of post, we should all post just to be posting to make out post count higher, to show we ave lots of post..... yeah.
Post.
Post.
Post.

Ok I'll stop now.

Post.... sorry that was a random no related post.... I'll go now.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Freezetron

Inciteful and ironic input to say the least. I went to my LHS a few days ago and decided to play with the Losi Micro crawler, my first time driving on ANY crawler EVER in my life. The LHS guy who I know well, set me up on the Losi test cardboard course with some obstacles to try and conquer to the top of a parts pile. I amazingly was finding myself having fun trying to figure how the hell to crawl up this rolled up car mat and up to this next box that was nearly as high as the crawler itself, while trying not to flip the crawler over like a retarded turtle or rolling off the side onto the floor. Unbelievably, I found the challenge fueling my drive to get up that box kept me going, I wasn't gonna let that damn box get the best of me! The LHS guy was watching me, laughing and smiling at me the whole time, as if he knew something.... After draining two batteries, I finally got up the box and on the RC parts pile and did a little victory pose with the micro crawler and I literally jumped into the air with a "Woooo!* I was so excited and proud of myself! The guy smiled at me and said "Now you know...." I was shocked at how the "challenge" of that damn box beating just forced me keep trying and going until I conquered the damn thing!

Now I want a Losi Micro crawler to play with in the apt this winter and a Night crawler in spring! What the hell has happened to me??! [sm=50_50.gif]
Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 AM
BADASSPONY

Welcome to the addiction/sickness my friend!!! Thats the way it happens to most of us, now you understand why this side of the hobby is what is is!!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 AM
redfisher1974

I see you have the same thread going on RCTECH...
Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 AM
calvino

Once I saw these big rocks by my grandmothers I was hooked Man it is an extreme mental challenge to make the car get up and over what seems impossible [8D] Ya the micro crawler is cool, debating one and making me a micro course
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 AM
ROMM3L

Based off the thread title... Is the OP Jerry Seinfeld??
lawlz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.