Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Looking to get a rock crawler

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Lurp06x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get a rock crawler

well i been eyeing the rc rock crawlers for a while now an set on using my tax refund on one. i got three on my mind.

first one is the axial SCX10 TR
second is the SCX10 Honcho, i really want this because its a kit but the only thing is i have never painted a body before an scared on how to do it.
third is a Komodo 1.9 scale crawler. i havent heard of them but its nice an scale looking.

more leaning towards the axial's and mainly the honcho.

do they have longer run times then say a brushless rustler. and is it hard to install a light system?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 AM
engineerjoe

Default RE: Looking to get a rock crawler

Don't be worried aout painting the body, just make sure you go down to the local hobby store and get the paint that is specific for lexan bodies (normal spray paint will just chip off when the body flexes.)

The Honcho is a great choice. The komodo is overpriced (in my opinion) and I will not do business with CKRC or support their products (the owner has done some things that I feel are detrimental to the hobby)

I get about 25 mins of runtime on 1100mah batteries which is MUCH better than any racer.

Good luck!! and if you want to see some great Honcho builds head over to rccrawler.com.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Lurp06x

ok i have another question is this tekin combo good enough i not looking for top notch but just something to get me by. see the thing is i not planning on becoming a hardcore rock crawler guy, i just have an itch to try this out an i like the scale looks.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ling-Combo-35T

otherwise if you have any other ideas on a cheaper combo that would work for crawlers that would work. i do have mamba max 5700 combo and a xl5 esc lying around but i know the mamba is too fast an i dont know what i can do with the xl5.

but thank you for your input
Old 01-28-2010, 03:04 AM
K_B

I think that Tekin combo is a perfect choice. I plan on getting that one for my Honcho. I'm currently running the Traxxas XL5 with a 27T motor and although it's pretty quick (for a crawler), it lacks a little torque and the speed control doesn't have very good low-speed throttle response; very jerky/jittery.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 AM
engineerjoe

If you really want to save money you can just swap your Mamba max programmed for a brushed motor (programmed with a castle link). You can get a cheap Integy 35T motor for $20

I own 8-9 RC's and only 3 ESC's. I just swap them to whatever I want to drive at the moment.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

I have the Komodo and while it is decent and fairly cheap for an all metal truck, it has issues that you don't want to worry with in your first crawler. The Honcho is going to be a perfect first truck. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] You get to build it yourself so you will know everything about it from the start. Plus, the scale looks (which are my favorite part) are really nice.

For motor and ESC, you might consider where you want to drive it. You can install a cheap 27t motor and balloon a cheap ESC if you don't want to have to avoid water and mud. Scale trucks aren't the greatest crawlers, so taking them through the ugly stuff is what makes them fun for me.

You can be successful painting you body (for one color) if you follow the steps I use:

1) Trim the body with curved Lexan scissors. I use a Dremel sanding wheel to round the wheel wells.
2) Set it on the truck, mark the holes for the body posts and ream them out before painting (if they aren't marked).
3) Wash the inside of the body with Dawn dish washing liquid (removes mold releasing agent).
4) Dry with paper towels and finish with a hair dryer. Look for water drops in the creases
5) Place the window masks on the windows being sure the edges are smooth so paint doesn't seep in.
6) Warm the paint can in a bowl of hot tap water for five minutes.
7) In a well ventilated area, spray light coats of Lexan paint in the body using a hair dryer between coats.
8) Let it dry over night! Be patient.
9) Remove the window masks and the outer protective covering.
10) Install decals.
11) Place foam stickies where the body posts meet the body to avoid paint scrapes.
12) Line sections that will rub (wheel wells etc.) with tape to avoid paint scrapes.
13) Install the body.

There are different ways to paint a body, but I'm a bumbling fool and I do it this way successfully.

Good Luck!
Jason
Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Lurp06x

i plan to just do some trail driving an when i get bored i will challenge its climbing abilities.

oh and do you really need to put the paint can in warm water. and what about a backer paint?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
K_B

Use white or silver for backer paint. It's not absolutely necessary, but putting the paint in warm water helps avoid the spray from becoming lumpy. If the paint has been sitting for awhile, it'll settle in the bottom of the can. The warm water helps get the paint to break up so it'll mix better when you shake it. I usually hit the can with a heat gun and warm it up evenly for about 30 seconds or so.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Lurp06x

ok sounds good
Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

Yeah, since you're in snow country you want to make sure the paint is warm enough to spray evenly.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Lurp06x

yeah but i love snow country, thats why i going with water proof electronics. but i going to wait till summer to paint the body or until i get my new house because i've got nowhere to paint indoors.