Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Are Rock Crawlers Fun?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:19 AM
supamagician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Rock Crawlers Fun?

Are rock crawlers fun, or do they get boring after a while because they're so slow? I'm thinking about getting a new r/c...something to have fun with over the summer...something that will get me outside more since I can no longer skateboard. I'm thinking about the Losi 1/18 Crawler. Will it get boring? What kind of obstacles can it run on?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Raguvian

Default RE: Are Rock Crawlers Fun?

If you don't have any place to crawl then it can get boring. I sold mine because I got bored with it as there was no place to go crawling and I didn't have anyone to crawl with.

I'm definitely going to get a scaler later on though.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:48 AM
RetroRacer

I have just bought my first crawler/scaler, last night in fact, my SCX10 should be here Tuesday! And the only reason that I bought that is because rock crawling and scaling is a world you kind of get dragged into. After trying a few of my friends rigs out regularly, I realised that you have to look at crawling with a different set of eyes. I think we're all accustomed to the breakneck speeds of buggies and monster trucks so much that when we see an RC car then we expect it to go fast.

Crawling and scaling is all about freedom, there is no track, there is no boundaries and without sounding too cliche, the sky is the limit!

I still get a kick out of my nitro buggies and electric touring cars, but at then end of the day, as much as we try to keep them in tip top condition through strip downs and cleaning and services, you just don't know what will fail next, or what you'll crash into!

I think to many people the attraction to crawling is the relaxing pace, freedom, amazing run times and reliability.

Some of my buddies crawlers still have all of the original parts, except wheel weights. I mean tires can last a couple of years when crawling!
One of them runs a 3s Lipo 3000mAh pack, and he can get HOURS out of it! When new I recall him saying he ran past the 3 hours mark and didn't even realise cause he was having so much fun!

Sorry for the long post, but in direct answer to your question, yes it is fun, but i guess unless your comping you have to go exploring to find it.

As for the losi 18th scale, I'm not too convinced on micros, i mean you could pay an extra £50.00 and get a full sized night crawler.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:42 AM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: Joetommany

I have just bought my first crawler/scaler, last night in fact, my SCX10 should be here Tuesday! And the only reason that I bought that is because rock crawling and scaling is a world you kind of get dragged into. After trying a few of my friends rigs out regularly, I realised that you have to look at crawling with a different set of eyes. I think we're all accustomed to the breakneck speeds of buggies and monster trucks so much that when we see an RC car then we expect it to go fast.

Crawling and scaling is all about freedom, there is no track, there is no boundaries and without sounding too cliche, the sky is the limit!

I still get a kick out of my nitro buggies and electric touring cars, but at then end of the day, as much as we try to keep them in tip top condition through strip downs and cleaning and services, you just don't know what will fail next, or what you'll crash into!

I think to many people the attraction to crawling is the relaxing pace, freedom, amazing run times and reliability.

Some of my buddies crawlers still have all of the original parts, except wheel weights. I mean tires can last a couple of years when crawling!
One of them runs a 3s Lipo 3000mAh pack, and he can get HOURS out of it! When new I recall him saying he ran past the 3 hours mark and didn't even realise cause he was having so much fun!

Sorry for the long post, but in direct answer to your question, yes it is fun, but i guess unless your comping you have to go exploring to find it.

As for the losi 18th scale, I'm not too convinced on micros, i mean you could pay an extra £50.00 and get a full sized night crawler.
I know what you mean, there is pretty much nothing you ever have to replace, however the upgrades are insane! Go to rccrawler.com. That place is crazy. There are a lot of vendors making their own parts that you can check out.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:54 PM
IloveMYxt2

Like stated, if you dont have friends to crawl with or a nice track, then it gets boring. I had a crawler, used it for about a month then sold it. Honestly how much fun can it be climbing a rock? I'd rather jump my rc off a ramp, land upside down, go 45 mph and do some isane jumps. Just my 2 cents.

BUT on the other hand, if your into scale looks then I think its worth it. I love the Axial SCX10 model due to the chassis (being like a real truck) and the endless possibilities of making it look real. I can see how that gets addicting cause there is always something to add to make it look real, like drivers, toolbox, winch, a jack, etc.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
supamagician

I'm scared, like someone said above, that I won't have a place to crawl. I live in a city, and there aren't much rocks. I think there are maybe a few tracks but I wouldn't go very often. Also none of my friends have crawlers.......actually none of them have r/c's....they think theyre a waste of money. I'm still not sure if I should get one. Part of me actually thought about the micro crawler, just because it would be easier to MAKE UP something to crawl, and build my own track or something. Plus the fact that I'm a 17 year old thats paying monthly payments on my full size car and paying for gas...it helps that the micro is cheap ya know?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: supamagician

I'm scared, like someone said above, that I won't have a place to crawl. I live in a city, and there aren't much rocks. I think there are maybe a few tracks but I wouldn't go very often. Also none of my friends have crawlers.......actually none of them have r/c's....they think theyre a waste of money. I'm still not sure if I should get one. Part of me actually thought about the micro crawler, just because it would be easier to MAKE UP something to crawl, and build my own track or something. Plus the fact that I'm a 17 year old thats paying monthly payments on my full size car and paying for gas...it helps that the micro is cheap ya know?
Beware of the Micro's binding tranny problems. But I have wanted a Micro crawler for a while to crawl over books and whatnot but the quality problems scare me.

Also, for me at least, it's more important to have a place to crawl than to have friends to crawl with. When I did find a place to crawl when I had my crawler I would just put on my headphones and crawl around things. It was really fun, for me at least. However, the same trails can get boring after the third or fourth time.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:16 PM
nitroade

Absolutely fun, there's just something about going slowly climbing something that looks impassable. I've got 3 now, Losi Mini, AX10, and Comp Crawler. They are all a blast. I'd stay away from the micro, I bought it and tried it and it really is not all that capable.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Krakker

I got into crawlers cause my daughter and I wanted something to do together that didn't go zipppp, crash, then go home and replace parts. Now we've got 3 crawlers, comp them, our own course that we host comps on as well and we work with CORA USA's "Active Kids" program with 4 tube chassis'd crawlers.
IF you've got places to go, yeah, they are a blast, if you can make things to crawl over during the winter, even better.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 AM
magnat

I am looking at making Scale RC Adventures so I am more into the Trail rig rather the dedicated rock crawler...
I am lucky enough to live about 15 minutes from a Forrest and there are plenty of walking trails to drive down.. so Yeah I suppose its a case of having places to go and getting used to going slow..
Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 AM
rcslsafut

maybe if you want a crawler type r/c ,and you really dont have anything to crawl on or around.
then you might look at something like the hpi wheelie king or something that is like that .
it is a truck that could be turned into a crawler but it also does a non crawler role as well.
it sounds like to me that you should look into some other area or r/c's if you are hesitant
about a crawler type truck. maybe look into a mini or micro if space is a problem.
plus they are relatively cheap !!!
i love my rock crawler, i live in utah and there are a crap load of rock's here to climb
so ya , for me , rock crawlers are fun!!!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 AM
calvino

I have a crawler and its a blast. And no you *dont* need rocks to crawl... I have crawled wood piles, rock piles, crushed asphalt/concrete piles, playground equipment, even steep hills! If there is something that looks like it can be driven over, give it a shot. I love mine because its so easy, turn it on, drive, don't have to worry about having a huge amount of space to run... my only wish was there were comps nearer to me (mm maybe a bad thing because I would put more $ into it) and I had someone else to crawl with. Other than that, its a blast. And the tires last FOREVER
Old 03-02-2010, 04:53 PM
jsowens

I think crawling is a lot of fun...I have a few friends into it and we have people come from up to 2-3 hours away to crawl our spots. I also have a tt-01 and my crawler gets way more use.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 AM
rcpro31
My Feedback: (1)

I have to say, ever since i got my AX10, i haven't touched my truggy or SC10. Its just so darn fun, and it doesn't go fast so i can just go outside and drive it on the track i made. And the battery last like 2 hours. My dad is also happy becase parts never break  
Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im builiding a scale trail rig,(Redfishers CC-01 build) Cant wait to get out and do some offroad.