Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

axial scx10 scale rock crawler thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

axial scx10 scale rock crawler thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 AM
dezfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: axial scx10 scale rock crawler thread

Just wanted my first post to be awesome, so I used this cool logo that Freq did for me.:flipoff:

Anyways, I've been motivated to build a scaler for a while after watching all of the cool rigs being built for MSD Scale Nats, so I picked up an Axial Honcho. It's my first crawler build in over a year!

I'm going to build it to stock specs and run it a bit before I start it's transformation from Project Barry (Head Honcho In Charge) into my US Border Patrol / AZ SB1070 sponsored KOH American Liberty built.:twisted:

I'll beat on Barry to my hearts content, slap him around and thoroughly beat on him mercilessly until I can finalise my plans. I'm smiling just thinking of the joy that beating on Barry is going to bring me.:mrgreen:

Specs:

Axial SCX 10 Honcho
JP Custom RC assorted aluminum upgrades
RC4WD 1.9 Tires Rok Loxs / Two Face / Mud Thrashers
3Racing Winch
Castle Sidewinder ESC
Castle BEC
Spektrum Rx
????? servo
45 Turn JPCustom RCs Motor
Flightmax 3S 40C 2200 mAh Lipo
Pro Line scale shocks
????? 1.9 Beadlocks
Nishru Scale Accessories Servo mount
Dinky RC Tube Work
Summit Tranny
Jason's Summit Tranny mount

I won't waste everyone's time w/ pics on my building a stock Honcho as I'm sure everyone knows what one looks like by now.:ror:

Anyways,

My intention to keep Barry relatively stock didn't even last long enough to finish the build. LOL After a little visit to the DMG dungeon this afternoon, Barry now has a custom stinger, rear bumper, and rock sliders!":thumbsup

I mounted up 2 of my Rok Loxs(had a little misunderstanding on my RC4WD order, but it was corrected and RC4WD already has my other set on the way along w/ another set to make up for the mistake. RC4WD Customer Service rocks!)

Not sure if I'll run the Rok Locs, Two Face, Mud Thrashers, or Crushers? I'll mount a few tires up and see which ones I like.

So on to the all important pics.LOL

Had some decals drawn up for this build, just waiting for them to arrive.

Well got the body painted, installed a 4 link set up in the rear, and trimmed the bosses off the axles to help w/ the scale looks. I got my wheels painted and my 1.9 RC4WD Two Face tires mounted up as well.

Still waiting on electronics, lights, tight bar, decals, etc.... some not much to update, but I'll post up a few pics tomorrow.:thumbsup

Looks like Barry is finaly listening to those pole numbers! He dropped by to show his approval of "Barry" and the cause.:shock:

One next to my son's XJ(more info below) that I just finished.

I decided to pick up another Axial SCX10 Honcho and convert it into a XJ for my son. After he saw my Barry the "HHIC" build, he had to have a scale rig of his own.

Using some 96mm lower Axial links front and rear, I got my wheelbase were I wanted it. Looked through the spare electronics bin, I found a Castle Sidewinder Micro ESC, a Hitec 645MG, a spare Spktrum Rx and a JP Custom RCs 45T Motor which will be run on a 2S 25C 4000mAh Flightmax Lipo pack .

I plan to make some front and rear inner fenders for the Cherokee body to help w/ the scale looks a bit, again, I'm not wanting to get to crazy on the details on this build.

Have several sets of RC4WD 1.9 tires sitting around, but since I also have several sets of the Pro Line 1.9 Flat Irons sitting around, I might just mount up a set of them for my boy to burn through . I'm going to mount them on a set of Losi MRC wheels just to get it to look a little bit different. It's a pain to mount tires on them as you have to make your own locking rings, but I think it will be worth the extra effort..

I'm planning on getting some custom Dinky RC sliders, rear bumper, and maybe even a custom front bumper custom as well. Time will tell how far I go on the custom tube work as I'm wanting to keep this build fairly simple for my son as he just wants something to follow us w/ out on the trail.:thumbsup

Specs:

Axial SCX 10 Honcho
Pro Line Cherokee XJ Body
JP Custom RC assorted aluminum upgrades
RC4WD 1.9 Tires Rok Loxs
3Racing Winch
Castle Sidewinder Micro ESC
Spektrum Rx
Hitec 645MG servo
45 Turn JPCustom RCs Motor
Flightmax 2S 25C 4000 mAh Lipo
Pro Line scale shocks
LMC 1.9 Beadlocks
Dinky RC Sliders and rear bumper

Started on it this afternoon, here are some pics.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:34 PM
tabrown

I have a quick question, can u mount the stock slash 1/10 esc and motor on the honcho. My dad wants one but he wants speed with it, is their anyway we can increase speed. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:23 PM
dezfan

ORIGINAL: tabrown

I have a quick question, can u mount the stock slash 1/10 esc and motor on the honcho. My dad wants one but he wants speed with it, is their anyway we can increase speed. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
Don't see why not, here is a video of a SCX10 w/ a Slash motor set up on 3S lipo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSO_9bV4qco
Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 PM
derbydog16

i have a all stock  ax10 rtr  i     water proofed the esc and servo with liquad electrical tape works great but wen i   did it to my buddy  it just makes a charm and doesnt move or  steer at all    any one have a pic of the plug in ad were they go

Old 07-17-2010, 04:03 PM
alexchen86

Well the way I waterproof my servos regardless if it's a cheapo servo like a Traxxas plastic gear or Hitec 5645MG or even a Hitec 7955TG I open it up and use lithium grease and couple that with small orange O rings that come with the servo's plastic box. Then I smear a bit of marine grease around the lip of the servo spline.

I make a sandwich style O ring (one inside the case and one on the outside directly over the spline). Then I use Liquid Tape over the back of the servo where the wiring and the screws come out. If there's a heatsink on the servo do not cover it.

Dap enough grease inside to where the gears still turn and are meshed correctly. This will repel water the most it possibly can. Although most high end servos are waterproof I don't want to risk submersed running or dirty water getting inside over time. I also use silicon and smear around the casing on the front of the servo.

ESCs are a different story. Some people take them apart and apply marine grease on the boards...other make project boxes but gear accordingly so they do not overheat. If I know I am building a water truck I just use XL-5's. My next water truck I will be using Holmes Hobbies BR-XL waterproofed.

To answer your question Liquid Tape dries like weak rubber depending how much you use. If you use too much it will seize the servo and you have to pick it out. It's easier using marine grease or lithium...anything external that does not move and you want to waterseal it Liquid Tape is great. That's why I use it on the back of servos. You can always pick it out with a needle if you ever need to access the servo gears again.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking rigs!!  Just got a honcho and was looking at the pics and wondering if everyone is using the AX-10 steering
linkage as an upgrade to the stock plastic?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:21 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: TheBennyB

Great looking rigs!! Just got a honcho and was looking at the pics and wondering if everyone is using the AX-10 steering
linkage as an upgrade to the stock plastic?
You must have bought the RTR Honcho. The kit version Honcho comes with aluminum linkage.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:23 PM
TheBennyB

yea, it was a demo so I got it cheap from a buddy.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Yes the AX10 steering linkage will work on the Honcho.