Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Losi mini crawler as wireless cam bot, need help installing aircraft tx

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Losi mini crawler as wireless cam bot, need help installing aircraft tx

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM
brandon429

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi mini crawler as wireless cam bot, need help installing aircraft tx

so the losi mini crawler makes a great cave explorer with a wireless cam/ micro lcd tv display on batteries in a backpack but the problem is range. I want to convert this crawler to run on the same transmitter, a fm JR for gliders. That will triple+ the range certainly. I can accomodate the longer antenna, even a body wind would have more range than the stock 2.4

the jr receiver is meant to have a separate power connector for the dc, but I noticed the receiver on the stock crawler doesn't need one, it gets its power either from the throttle cable input or the steering one? The battery on/off switch runs to the ESC, not the receiver I noticed, so:

-can this esc unit (stock) plug up to a JR glider receiver's throttle plug if I wire in a power source to the JR, or will the ESC from the crawler send back some kind of current into the JR receiver and fry it? can one use an esc made for 2.4 gig setups on a fm JR receiver

THanks
Brandon
Old 03-31-2010, 02:48 PM
K_B

Default RE: Losi mini crawler as wireless cam bot, need help installing aircraft tx

On the stock MRC, the receiver gets it's power from the ESC (via the throttle input) and it's approximately 6V. As long as the JR receiver can handle 6V - and it should - you'll be fine. The type of radio has nothing to do with the ESC. It will work with FM,AM or other 2.4Ghz systems.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:52 PM
brandon429

Default RE: Losi mini crawler as wireless cam bot, need help installing aircraft tx

KB thank you so much you were right on.

this is by far the most fun ive ever had in twenty years w rc.

turns out you can mix the two, just fine. only on an aircraft tx the right stick has to be the throttle for obvious reasons, so with a little tweaking it worked perfectly.

From inside my kitchen, I sat down, and proceeded to drive the rock crawler all the way down the block first person point of view, through gardens, as a remote sentry. its line of sight out the kitchen window. unbelievable range, and the $99 wireless camera kit from hobbytron flickers a few times but has equal or better range. for the wire I just wadded it all up in the body, never glitched once. the cam feedback was the weak link, this is so fun and amazing laymans technology.

the electric backpack:

get a 12 volt rc bump starter batter w charger, then solder on a female cig lighter plug from radioshack. insert a Y, you need two power feeds one for tv and one for receiver for camera (110volt ac). plug $29 ac/dc converter into one female plug, then cam receiver. this antenna exits out the top of the backpack. other lead is for the tv, a $99 car-visor LCD tv common to car stereo shops, I got a new one hella steal. wired it all up like that, now I roam around the mountains scoping caves no problem im heading back out its ready, what a neat hack
B
Old 04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I so want to do that with my Summit.. If you enjoy FPV videos check out wobby on the tube, he's got some real remote drives in FPV. It's what really got me to buy the Summit haha. Now I just need the knowhow and funds to rig a camera system...
Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 AM
brandon429

hey if you can believe it, the cam is the easiest part. from hobbytron the receiver and cam is only 99! You mount it on the truck via zip ties or velcro, and the receiver can either be plugged into your car via converter or from the backpack with a 12v starting battery and converter. This project was really easy.

Now two days ago we hooked up a handgun .177 pellet gun. layed down sideways on the roof and a servo to trigger, works great. cam is bore sighted to this sick ass rig lol. no I don't drive that around the block!!!!!!!!! Its just for roaming out in the field, jackrabbiting etc

the losi is such a well-built rig. the gun and extra riggings adds about three pounds to the top of the car, it still pulls up a hill no prob. to avoid side rolls I installed the shock limiter trick with airline tubing, I crawled it about 500 yards out into a field and set up post next to a priarie dog mound lol. Must need a better gilly, they never came back out so I blasted a few rounds into the dirt to let em know Id be back lol

Fake plants complete the gilly suit, this is a savage, savage rig. vids soon thanks for posting
B

ps, I have pics ready can they be posted here or do you have to link offsite?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Slo-V Flyer

You can upload them directly off your computer. assuming you're not using the "Fast reply" box, there should be a button to attach pics.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:08 PM
brandon429

Well thank you I did not see that variation yes the pics are here now!
Along with the vid. The gun turret is removable. It may look rediculous but it works and it balanced well to easily come on and off. Im not posting a full picture of the gun that seems a little much... This is the pic of the ghilley suit and the obstruction plate so the gun is hidden, it looks too real and would freak someone if they saw it out in a field.

I do not advocate trying this but in seeing the threads im not the first.

For specifics, the model handgun is a walther .177 it has the least trigger pull out of any bb gun because it self cycles, the pull is probably 4 lbs nothing a standard servo can't roll. The camera is directly next to the bore, and in the TV shot it shoots dead center of the upper left quadrant, thats what I mean by bore sighting. If the item is in the upper left of the picture, it will get thumped with 250fps of bb screamer lol. The firing unit is auto repeating, I have 25 shots as fast as I can pull a half gimble on a servo.

The bottom picture is the $99 TV (LCD, excellent quality) is from a car stereo shop, they'll sell you one. Its an open backed model meant to be in a visor for DVD watching. I just mounted it with zip ties in a cd case!!!

the video, no gun just alley crawling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAAA0Paik3w
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55009.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1424906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56364.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1424907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32422.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1424908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al72393.jpg
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1424909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29773.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1424910  
Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 AM
brandon429

lots of upgrades this really became a passion after seeing wobby's work as mentioned!

my main goal isn't laser clarity as much as it is raw non line of sight video work. as in drive to the end of the block, turn right, watch for traffic, go another block, hit the alley, square back home in about 20 mins of power crawling past people walking their dogs.

if I can cover a two block square radius around my house sitting inside on the tv that's so darn high tech its not even funny to me

I can't wait to see what a patch antenna will do. 1w is so powerful anything less wouldn't be as efficient with the interferences from two houses behind me im thinking.

the only thing I wish I could figure out now is how do I separate the antenna from my 72 mhz controller so it can go on top of my house, and be connected via long wire run down the chimney to my living room. I need to get the simulation of being outside now with the radio transmitter output, how might that work in hacking a JR FM 72mhz controller?
B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD6ydSwpj0I

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85342.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1456793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86117.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	1456794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21077.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1456795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45317.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1456796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv14821.jpg
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1456797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn88593.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1456798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hk89569.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1456799  
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 AM
MTboy

Really cool. Now you need a mic so you can talk with the people you roll by or yell at the guy that picks it up and takes off with it..
Old 06-22-2010, 09:43 AM
brandon429

ha! true

adults have some consideration for the strangeness of it all, I fear the 5 year olds. It got carried a few hundred feet by one until the mom said to put it down all I could see was the rover swinging back and forth as she carried it by the rollbar wire lol

could strap a walkie talkie to it that's really probably pretty smart for urban crawling "hey put that down!" to save it but it will likely scare them and they w drop it on its camera head lol

sometimes I tape a sign to the antenna saying its GPS tracked to deter theft think so far Im just getting lucky
Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 PM
calvino

Maan I am all over this idea [8D] I strapped a *WIRED* video camera to my crawler and did some backyard driving. Not to bad but wired has its obvious disadvantages. I got to say for something that small and "cheap" the quality is incredible [8D] Hmm time to find some burried coins for one of those units [sm=72_72.gif] And where's the link to the video camera

If it is POSSIBLE try and make the receiver as high up as you can in your house or on your backpack soo... the signal doesn't have to pass through as much to get to you. The more it passes through, the worse the signal gets [:@] Metal obstacles can really mess up RF as well so, just keep that in mind.

Any thoughts of using the "other" channels for say pan/tilt... or night-vision (clicks on or off a switch with two settings [8D])
Old 06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
brandon429

Thank you for stopping in!

Yes I am VERY happy with the video abilities its the 900mhz/1w setup which is the most powerful non line of sight video frequency there is within our hobby. I think some UHF setups can beat it, but these aren't common yet.

my video shows it all without the patch antenna, it comes today because Zoltan from NGHOBBIES.COM is such a great businessman and the fastest shipper out of all these online companies. the camera and entire setup can be had through that site with quick shipping to the US> no problem.

I want an infrared setup