RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Rock Crawlers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/)
-   -   red cat rock crawlers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/8598792-red-cat-rock-crawlers.html)

rye 03-20-2009 07:15 PM

red cat rock crawlers

what do you guys think about this one http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...lers/Rockslide

sheograth 03-21-2009 01:33 AM

RE: red cat rock crawlers

The price is good, and the 4ws is nice, but the axles have yet to be proven in action if you ask me.

dezfan 03-21-2009 07:37 PM

Looks like a cheap ebay POS.

If your looking for a Super, check out the XTM X-Crawler.

sheik480 03-26-2009 10:09 PM

I don't crawl, but it looks worthy of a check-out.

drum_n_man 03-27-2009 07:47 AM

from what i have heard only people who competitivly crawl or paid too much for the one they have call cheaper models crap. look at the red cat forum for first hand experience.

sfar785 03-28-2009 04:13 PM

the Redcat Crawler is a piece of junk, head over to rccrawler.com and see what people with experiences with them have to say

dezfan 03-28-2009 10:21 PM

Definitely want to take advice about crawlers from people who don't crawl.

Compare that Red Cat POS to a real Super Class Crawler.

The Stick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPrJW...eature=related

Big Floppy Red Cat POS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmrNAFKHUMo

sfar785 03-29-2009 10:54 AM

Red Cat is known for making crappy RC cars, parts are nearly impossible to locate for their products but they're also designed for the beginner in mind. None of their stuff is "competition" grade RC but it's designed for the weekend warrior. I wouldn't waste my $$$ on this crawler, take $200 and get the Axial AX10 kit, build it and get some good electronics.

MM Designs 05-01-2009 11:51 AM

WOW, must be nice to spend $500 plus on a crawler and think you know everything there is to know about them. You cant beat the Redcat crawler for the price. But I'd be pissed to if I spent that much on a crawler.

hndaman1 05-01-2009 04:42 PM

I just bought that crawler and it is great. so far no problems here.. I just changed ou the 3channel radio for a 4 channel stick...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/100_1047.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/100_1046.jpg

smoked17 05-01-2009 05:28 PM

They have vids of them on youtube by a guy named like Alishlamo or something close to that.

sheik480 05-01-2009 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

I just bought that crawler and it is great. so far no problems here.. I just changed ou the 3channel radio for a 4 channel stick...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/100_1047.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/100_1046.jpg
Nice! It almost looks purdy! The ground clearance links at both ends are interesting.

madmax22 05-01-2009 09:03 PM

looks cheap to me, and to long. 1/10 FTW, if you ask me... its like a plastic longer burg....

hndaman1 05-02-2009 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: madmax22

looks cheap to me, and to long. 1/10 FTW, if you ask me... its like a plastic longer burg....

its a 1/8scale not a 1/10 scale it is going to be longer:eek:

dezfan 05-02-2009 03:10 PM

Poor quality plastic, poor link geomotry, plastic knock off tires, weak wheels, w/b is to long, 8 shocks are not needed, ect.... ect....

Price is not the only factor to concider. The XTM is a much better choice, and a Clod axled Super is still the best option available.

drum_n_man 05-02-2009 08:15 PM

if you are using just around the house for fun why spend a butt load of cash on it? seriously, i'm not being sarcastic or rude.

sheik480 05-02-2009 10:44 PM

Do you crawl competitively? How's the durability so far?

sheograth 05-02-2009 11:58 PM

Thought I'd chime in again since I used one the other day (LHS owner had one to mess with). Anyway, I'd avoid it. I'm no expert crawler but I have a few and have built some quality ones. It's flimsy, doesn't handle as well as I'd like, and not to mention ugly. I'll take a stock Scorpion over it any day. Also consider that there are TONS of hop ups and mods for other crawlers, and hardly any support for this thing at all. Another thing that put me off was the general flimsy feel of the construction and hardware, something I see with all the Redcat/Himoto/Exceed/HSP/Whatever cars and trucks I've owned or examined.

They have their place if priced right, but if you want a good crawler get a good crawler, you don't have to go all out and get a $600 super class, there are tons of good kits and things available.

hndaman1 05-03-2009 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: sheik480

Do you crawl competitively? How's the durability so far?

no I don't..so far it is holding up great

<edited by mode due to deletion of other posts>.

hndaman1 05-03-2009 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: dezfan

Poor quality plastic, poor link geomotry, plastic knock off tires, weak wheels, w/b is to long, 8 shocks are not needed, ect.... ect....

Price is not the only factor to concider. The XTM is a much better choice, and a Clod axled Super is still the best option available.

BTW the tires ARE RUBBER not plastic.. do you even know anything about this crawler ?:eek: did you know that ROB on HBF sells REDCATS?

dezfan 05-03-2009 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: dezfan

BTW the tires ARE RUBBER not plastic.. do you even know anything about this crawler ?:eek: did you know that ROB on HBF sells REDCATS?
Tell you what Sparky, you bring your "rubber" knock off Pro Line Moabs and I'll bring some real tires and we will see how well they work. :eek:

I don't care who sells them, they are junk, period.

sheik480 05-03-2009 11:09 PM

I tink dis thread turn into argument just now. Yes, I am aware of the spelling and grammar mistakes.

Foxy 05-04-2009 08:27 AM

I have just deleted all the posts of one member, and some of the others in this thread for plain and simple product bashing... We at RCU, contrary to popular belief, do not protect our advertisers from their mistakes, or poor products. What we DO however, is protect all RC manufacturers from the kind of irrelevant and unfounded bashing that has been taking place in this thread.

Example of how to post something negative if you need to (thanks Sheo):

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Thought I'd chime in again since I used one the other day (LHS owner had one to mess with). Anyway, I'd avoid it. I'm no expert crawler but I have a few and have built some quality ones. It's flimsy, doesn't handle as well as I'd like, and not to mention ugly. I'll take a stock Scorpion over it any day. Also consider that there are TONS of hop ups and mods for other crawlers, and hardly any support for this thing at all. Another thing that put me off was the general flimsy feel of the construction and hardware, something I see with all the Redcat/Himoto/Exceed/HSP/Whatever cars and trucks I've owned or examined.

They have their place if priced right, but if you want a good crawler get a good crawler, you don't have to go all out and get a $600 super class, there are tons of good kits and things available.
Posts such as 'This is cheap plastic crap', or similar, are not welcome here on RCU (and are more often than not, inaccurate), without something to add relevance to the post. ie... I tried X crawler, and the axles weren't very good, or the body was ugly in my opinion, or the arms were weak because they broke easily, etc.

To the member comparing the redcat to competition crawlers... gimme a break. I suppose you would advise a student looking for a cheap first car to buy a lamborghini? :eek:

Any more bashing, this thread will be closed, and names taken. DO NOT reply to this post, just get it back on topic please. Thanks, carry on...

dezfan 05-04-2009 05:25 PM

Foxy, please inform me of your Rock Crawling experience and more importantly, your direct experience w/ the Red Cat product in question?

I have have 5+ years of crawling experience and 25+ years of RC experience. I am a 2 time USRCCA qualifier and a 2.2 regional champion.

All of the information I have posted on the Red Cat is true. Your threats and abuse of Moderator powers will not change that fact, sway my post, or prevent me from posting the truth.

I stand by by statements and I hope those new to the sport benefit from my input and purchase quality produces instead of the junk Red Cat sells.

Sad that advertising dollars = Moderator protection here on RCU. Instead of standing up for the truth, you choose to sensor my educated, informed, and experienced feedback.

I fully expect to be banned for this post, so I hope several members are able to read it before it is erased and I am banned, but I fell that giving new participants in the sport real world experience and not paid for promotion and protection is important.

sheik480 05-04-2009 05:56 PM

Can you give me a list of pos products? Just so I don't buy 'em in the future.