Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

buying first RC sailboat. Help?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

buying first RC sailboat. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Chikokishi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying first RC sailboat. Help?

Here is the story:

My girlfriend took me to california for the first time in my life. I saw a real sailboat. Since then iv wanted to build one (which i am doing >>Pdracer.com>>free plans>>Harley 8) And i LOVErc stuff. So she wanted to buy me a rc sailboat. But the only one i can find thats RTR is the Niravana II. But i refuse to be ok with her spending $170+ on me. Doesnt anyone know of an RTRThat is like less than $100?With remote and everything installed? I dont care how big it is. I just want a fairly ok one that is a real sailboat. not a boat with sails and a prop. Or is the Nirvana IIThe cheapest RTR*real* sailboat ill find?

Thanks!!

Chiko
Old 06-14-2009, 05:26 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: buying first RC sailboat. Help?

Just have read through the threads on here and other forums.  The Nirvana is not the cheapeast, but does work well, probably much better that the lower priced competition.
Smaller one can be sailed well with a lot of practice, larger ones are generally easier to handle.  I would look for something between 2ft - 1 metre long, preferably easy to rig so it would not need to be transported fully set up.  Even a small rigged yacht takes up a lot of space in any car.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Chikokishi

Iv been combing the net for hours searching.  Iv looked at Nirvana, Paradise, Discovery 500, Century 750, Some chinese crap, And i just found the Victoria by thunder tiger.  You seen these on your searching?

Chiko
Old 06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I've found the Nirvana to be a nice boat to start out with. From what I've read, the RTR electronics aren't great, though. I'd suggest that you have her get you the "naked" version of the Nirvana at SailRC.com for $129. Then get yourself a DX5e radio system and some High-Torque MG servos (HS-645MGs) and you'll be pleased with it.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:01 PM
larrykin

Hi Chiko,

lucky man to have such a generous girlfriend. About kit boats. Check out this thread on RCGroups-

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php

Reviews most of the popular kit boats on the market.
Re cost. You say you are not willing to pay more than $100 for an RC boat with remote and everything installed.
A Chinese "crap" kit boat will cost you ~$100. Then you have a $100 piece of "crap". But you want a boat.

Add up the cost of components. A good radio $100 Sail Servo $50 Decent RTS boat $200. Makes the Nirvana II look like good value. Why not go halves on the cost of the boat with your girlfriend. "Shared Custody". And look at a good boat for between $300 to $400. As an example; Ijust built a boat from scratch which cost me, all up, over $350 including radio gear etc. IOMboats (that's International One Metre) sell for over $3000! And you want to spend how much ??

Below is a pic of my latest boat. USOMMistral. All hand made from free plans. She sails like a bat out of hell . See my YouTube post for video.

Larry L.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Chikokishi

Oh, so i take it youve never used the Nirvana or anything have you? Do they just kinda suck really badly?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

The Nirvana is nice with good electronics, I've heard the RTS version's electronics aren't so great, though. If you get the "naked" version (w/o electronics) and then get a good radio and high torqe servos, it's pretty nice. Here's my setup:

1) "Naked" Nirvana $130
2) DX5e Radio System $100
3) Two Tower TS-70MG servos (rebadged Hitec HS-645MG servos) $60

Grand Total: $290
Old 06-15-2009, 04:16 PM
janussing

For a first time RC sail boat which is easy to bring with you everwhere you go and still sails nicely is the Micro Magic.

It has a great class if you want to start racing a bit and you can always get tips on www.magicmicro.org., where you can also read a lot more on the boat.

It does not fit the bill completely as it is not RTR but it will take less than 15 hours to build and it is a little more expensive than suggested. Nevertheless, I think it is worth considering.

jan
Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 PM
esselte

i'd say go for thunder tiger, victoria or seawind. look, if you want 1 for less than a hundred bucks. you're in for a big disappointment.not that you wont find one, but you will be disappointed with the performance and quality. even the pricey ones like Monsoon and others have issues already and you think 100 bucks boats will be hassle free? there's one solution to that though, you can try catamarans, as they are more stable than normal sailboats.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 PM
e-sailpilot86

The Victoria is fine, it's about $110-130 for the kit alone.  Performance wise I don't know... probably don't care too much at this point yet.  It's not a disappointing model, but it is not fiberglass.  If you're okay with tying itty bitty knots, gluing, installing radio gear, etc.  The hassles are pretty small, but to an inexperienced modeller, I'd say it's a perfectly fine start.  I've built more complex aircraft before so...  I'd compare this one model to building a r/c airplanes rudder... except for the knots...  that is a bit new to me...  Get a Victoria, but expect to add at least $80 for basic electronics necessary to run it.  I ended up spending $300 on electronics for it (but the radio will work in other models too so...), and will probably spend more later on carbon masts, better sails and so on.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 PM
NedKelly

I know this thread is a bit old but I notice with some amusement the reference to Chinese "crap".
That's rather subjective and when related to actual cost not exactly true.
What is true is the difference in quality and the amount of effort (note.I don't say "work" ) that you need to do to make any of these a thoroughly enjoyable and very seaworthy fun, and, competitive boat.
What they are not, is , expensive. And there lies the rub.. If you can afford more (read..lots) then go that way.. it makes perfect sense. But if you can't, but you enjoy doing mods and the like, get one of these and get out on the water.

Check out this site if you want the straight, unembellished facts on Budget priced Chinese Sailboats. http://shipshape.bendigocommunity.com/

I'd say again.. buy better if you can afford it.. But one of these if you can't..