Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Illbruck VO60 build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Illbruck VO60 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Orcatkt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illbruck VO60 build

Ok, so I decided that I want to do a scrath build, for the fun of it Iam going to attempt a Illbruck VO60 based off the velarc plans.
Have it scaled to 1m in length so if everything goes to plan it might even be allowed in the one meter class.
Any inputs welcome, its my first scratch build so Iam open for lots of advice as Igo.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:22 AM
GLX

Default RE: Illbruck VO60 build

Hi Orca, I wish you the best in your built - the VOR 60 & 70 are in my own view one of the best monohull designs in terms of performance and look.

We have Illbruck 60 here in Ireland but she's slightly bigger at 2.5m long. You can see the pics on my IOM class website www.iomireland.org (click on HOME then select big RC boat in the drop down menu, then click on Ilbruck to access the gallery.) enjoy

A few things to bear in mind if you're hoping to get ur VOR60 design to sail in the IOM class. draft, weight, keel weight, rigs and sail area.

Anyway wish you the best and share pics of your build.

Atb
Old 10-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Orcatkt

Ok, so not much to report so far. A lot of boring math figuring out the right sizes and distances for the frames. But some progress has been made.
Frames are cut from 3/16 ply and are being sanded to the right shape, hopefully will have them up ready for planking late this week. Balsa is being prepped into strips and joined to make it all long enough. And the cat is being put to sleep by my efforts. Ah well, everyone is a critic right?
Anyway, here is a few photos to prove I am not dreaming this all.
Iincluded a photo of my Thunder Tiger ETNZ, its been modified after seeing all the info about troubles everyone had with it. Ijust have to airbrush the keel when I get time to make it look right!
Hopefully the pictures worked, also does anyone know if there are any clubs in the Chesapeake, VA area?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ay75052.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1523248   Click image for larger version

Name:	yt62429.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	994.4 KB
ID:	1523249   Click image for larger version

Name:	wc77498.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1523250   Click image for larger version

Name:	mf96279.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1,019.9 KB
ID:	1523251   Click image for larger version

Name:	ce70669.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1523252   Click image for larger version

Name:	ji77757.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	1523253  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Orcatkt

A few more pictures. Frames are up, just have one to finish (the front one chipped when I was shaping it stupid small thing)
Hopefully get some planks on this week. have to stretch the balsa some before I start, sheets are way to short, where can I buy longer sheets!!!!!
Anyway, advice and ideas are welcome

Name:	om31952.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1523753   Click image for larger version

Name:	qm35891.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	1523754   Click image for larger version

Name:	rw59769.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	1523755   Click image for larger version

Name:	nh11774.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	1523756  
Old 10-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Orcatkt

Planking is in progress, there are a couple of low spots that Ican see already, but filler and sanding should fix that after planking is complete. Nose section looks a little twiseted in the photos, but it lines up right in the real world.
As always advise / comments appreciated!

Name:	wu60675.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1,000.3 KB
ID:	1524952   Click image for larger version

Name:	je98529.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1524953  
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Orcatkt

Slow progress teh last few days. Kids wanted to do "Halloweeny" stuff, so me havinga quiet weekend to play wasnt an option. Will post more pics once Iget some time. Still working the planking, had an issue with a couple of planks not holding the shape right, had to cut them off and replace them (found they had cracked, Iblame the cat!) But its coming along happily enough for me just now.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Orcatkt

Ok, so I ran out of planking wood tonight, which stinks. But Iam going to remedy that as soon as Iget through my sons Boy Scout Camp this weekend! On the bright side it gave me time to do some rough sanding and its starting to look boatish!
I am going to run a solid piece in the base of the bow, this should allow me to get the curves a little more smoothly than planking this area.
Anyway, thought Iwould put a couple of new pics up to show how it is looking.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Orcatkt

No progress this weekend as there wasa Boy Scout camp. Though Idid get to sail my ETNZ while Iwas there. Went really nicely until Isnagged some pond weed and then found Ihadnt sealed a hatch well enough. Oh well, live and learn. At least it only looks to have cost me a receiver, not a whole boat. Gives me an excuse to pick up a Spektrum DX5 to replace it. Hopefully the wife buys off on the idea, if nothing else I am going to buy a palm sander before Ifinish sanding the hull, it should speed up the process buy a good chunk!
Hopefully Ican finish planking this week and be sanding the final shapes this weekend. More pictures when Iget some more done!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Orcatkt

Ok, so Ifinally have all the planks in place. Started to add some filler before Isand and the wife called it a night. So here is the latest photo. Will cover it in filler before Isand to hopefully get a better end result. But it feels nice to have it looking more like a boat hull rather than a pile of sticks
Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Orcatkt

The great thing about hobbies is being able to use them as an excuse. Imanaged to turn sanding the hull into an excuse to buy a new Mouse sander. Should speed up the process!
Anyway, all Ihave changed is the hull has been coated in filler before Istart sanding, that way Ishould have a minimum of areas where its too low, and any gaps in planks will be smoothed out at the same time.
Quick pic of the filler going on. Hopefully will be all sanded out by the end of the weekend. Then Iwill start working on the next new tool
Old 11-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Thonord

Very nice going

I hope I may bother you with a question, since you have the drawings.

Do you know the location of Centre of Gravity (COG) for the model and the location of the Centre of Force (COF) for the under water lateral plane?

If so, pls provide the distances from bow or stern and the total length of the model. Don't worry about the elevation of the COG.

Thanks
Tom
Old 11-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Orcatkt

Ok, so Ihave the hull sanding almost complete (photos pending) and Iran into a small problem. Iknow nothing of fibreglassing! What sort of cloth weight and chemicals should Ibe looking at? I intend to leave the balsa in place as part of the hull rather than using a plug type mold. But how much cloth etc, how heavy and what epoxy chemicals are normal for this type of project? is 1 1/2 lb cloth enough, or is it too heavy? Is aircraft cloth going to work ok (I cant think it would be any different.)
Anyway, any help on this would be appreciated!
On a side note, Iconvinced my wife that thanks to needing to use chemicals that will not allow me a kitchen counter work area Ineed a garage workbench. $100 and a busy Veteran's Day later Ihave a bery nice (LARGE)new work bench in the garage ready for lots of boat building!
Happy Veteran's Day to all the other vet's out there, hope you enjoyed it as much as Ienjoyed mine. Nice to spend one at home for a change.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Orcatkt

Phew LHSto the rescue. Lots of info to work with, now Ijust have to find a supplier for fibre cloth and epoxy in town. Time for the Yellow Pages!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Orcatkt

Ok, so here is the hull as it stands. It's waiting on glass and Ihave found a boat shop with the right quantities for this project. Even if it leaves me with some extra. Anyway, hopefully they are open Sunday, wife wants the Kinect for the XBox, so Ihave negotiating power!!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Orcatkt

Not exactly progress but supplies have been bought! Iwent with a West System Epoxy Resin with a 0.75lb cloth.
Pictures attached of the first layer draped on the hull, no epoxy added yet, just have the cloth on the hull with the weave at teh 45 degrees. Hopefully I will get it epoxied here in the next couple of days. Cant wait to get it done, sanded and flipped for the first time! Will start work on a quick work stand once Ihave it glassed and ready.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Orcatkt

Ok, so I have the glass on! Iam happy with it, though Ican already see a few areas that will need finishing with the trusty Black &Decker Mouse! Overall though, Iam so far happy with how it is coming together. First time scratch build so Iam learning alot as Igo, more things that will Ican make even better on the next model! Don't let my wife read that part yet
Anyway, as always comments are welcome, and tips / advice always appreciated!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 PM
hew565

I see you are getting along very well, even with no assistance from others! You have done everything as I would have, from the start!

One thing I will recommend is to put a thin layer of glass and epoxy on the inside of the hull once you remove it from the shadows. You WILL get water inside the hull at some point... it is a boat afterall. If you do not have the inside well sealed, 2 coats of epoxy or paint, the water will seep into the balsa planks over time, and swell them up. You will be able to see the planking "print through" to the outside of the hull. It may take some time, but you will not be able to get to the inside of the hull to easily seal it at that point.

It took me a couple of days with my first boat in front of a heated fan, to dry it out so the balsa began to shrink back. I then sloshed a thinned epoxy around the inside hoping the cold mixture would be drawn into any pores as the air inside the balsa contracted from the cold. It worked, but was a major pain that could have been prevented.

Keep posting photos!

Hew
Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Orcatkt

Not much going on, just lots and lots of sanding. Iam running down to a 220 grit right now, once Iam happy with the final curves Iwill use something finer maybe to finish. Hopefully Ican have the boat turned over by the end of the weekend. Then Ican epoxy out the inside to be sure!!!
More pics will have to wait to Iget it turned over at the this point, sanding isnt real healthy for my camera
Old 11-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Orcatkt

Iwas going to upload a couple of pics, but they loaded WAYtoo big. Will try again tomorrow. Anyway, sanding is nearly done. Have added a little more glass on the nose where Ifelt it was getting a little too thin, but hopefully Ican have her primed and flipped this weekend!

Old 11-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Orcatkt

Ok, so Ihave primer on it. Will doanother couple of sand downs at 400grit and see if I am happy with it. Ilooks rough in the images but its actually wet areas on the primer. Anyway, comments, tips, advice, always appreciated!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Orcatkt

Prime sand fill, prime sand fill, prime sand fill. IthinkI am nearly there. Almost a week after Iwanted to be, but Iwould rather get teh result I want!
New photos, looking all fresh in its wet coat. Have to let it dry before Isand it out again. Hopefully it should be the second last time, working towards being ready after Thanksgiving. Thank God for the Mouse, sanding by hand stinks! It has made a lot of progress faster than it would have been
Anyway, off to bed for me, let me know what you think!
Old 11-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Orcatkt

Happy Thanksgiving all, as per the traditional timing today was a Christmas decoration day, even my ETNZgot involved.
Hope everyone is enjoying some quality family (or RC) time.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Orcatkt

Ok, so not much posted for a while! But here we go some new photos. Been cutting and sanding to get the tops of the ribs to the right shape. Once that is done Iwill hollow them out for improved weight, and to make a radio box area. Have a stand in the works, hopefully can get it set into it before long, kind of dragging on the stand because Iam not sure how long my keel will work out lol.
Anyway, let me know how it looks, hope you are all enjoying the Christmas season!
Hope the photos work, they loaded HUGEthe first time.

Name:	Hf98830.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1531189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48814.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1531190  
Old 12-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Orcatkt

Ok, so Ihad a little fun today (day off work WOOHOO!!)and got the last couple of the main ribs hollowed out. Epoxied up the inside (thanks for that tip!)and tried it out to make sure it floats right. Iused the excuse that it was to check for leaks, but mostly it was fun with the kids. Don't know how, but it floated level and straight, shows some good promise, of course it is high in the water right now, but I haven't added anything to the hull yet. Pictures attached, a couple from under the water just to play. Yes there are kids toys in the water with it, all Ihad was the tub, and the kids were helping.
Anyway, fairly happy, it floats, doesnt leak, and doesnt look like it will need much trimming to get it level at this point. Let me know what you think!

Name:	ki17927.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	611.5 KB
ID:	1532651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91471.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1532652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54568.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1532653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98564.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1532654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39968.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1532655  
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM
GLX

wow, great work... hadn't been on this forum for a while and to see the progress, well done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.