Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

AC CLASS SAILBOAT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

AC CLASS SAILBOAT

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:42 PM
cpe190

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC CLASS SAILBOAT

Hi Everyone, I am in need of some help, I am supervising and estate sale and have come across a America Cup Sailboat. Since I am clueless about sailboats I will do my best at describing it. This thing is huge, and it is in excellent condition, It has an older radio called a Nautical Commander/ace rc controller. This boat does not appear to have been used much at all. So here is the question: Can anyone tell me what this thing could be worth? I know it is hard to say without any pictures. And what whould be the best option for selling it? Due to it's size it would be difficult to ship without costing a mint. Is there anyone out there that would be interested in it? I can E mail Pictures if so. Please help me figure out what to do with this thing. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:54 PM
thorsail

Default RE: AC CLASS SAILBOAT

cpe190
maybe a little more info - can you measure the length along the deck and the max width of the hull ?
also , any serious buyer would want to know about the servos inside the hull - can you post up a
picture of the inside ? and most important , I'm guessing there must be a keel floating around
somewhere for that hull - a boat that size would have a considerable bulb/fin that attaches to the hull
and hangs down below it..... there should be a slot in the bottom center of the hull where it will slide in...
pretty boat - but won't sail without a keel -and that's gonna affect the value.just sayin...
Allan
Old 11-28-2010, 12:55 AM
cpe190

Thanks for the info. Here are some updated pictures as well as the boat specs:
Length: 6' feet
Width : 16" inches
Sail: 7'6"
Rudder Servo: Futaba S5101
Big servos for sail control: Abel

Please let me know what you think. Also I was able to find the big heavy keel. There is also a tag on the inside of the hull that has a sail # listed? not sure what that means or if it still means anything. Any more info is appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The AC boat is a sanctioned American Model Yachting Association restricted design class. http://www.theamya.org/boats/ac/

A boat like this can be valued between $800 to $1500 depending on condition. This boat was registered by the owner and is legal to race in AMYA national and regional regattas.

The best market is to list the boat on the AMYA website where you will find the best exposure to those interested in this boat.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:25 PM
cpe190

Wow I had no idea. It appears that I would have to become a member of AMYA to list the item. How do you feel about Ebay?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:28 PM
thorsail

cpe190
I just sent an email to the AC Class secretary, and asked if he could come here and take a look at this hull.
he might have some advice - I sent the message thru the AMYA system so give it a few days.
I met Gene this summer at a regatta , nice guy-maybe he can help with info.

Ebay is fine , believe me , if something good is listed there the word gets out pretty quick !
problem of course would be shipping...
one tip-if you were gonna ship it, get a piece of that heavy wall thickness cardboard tube stuff that
carpet comes rolled on - be very good for the masts and booms to go in.
around here , those tubes just get thrown out,and carpet places have to cut 'em up and put them
in a dumpster to get rid of them. I have gotten them free for just asking.

oh,those extra pics and info were perfect !
Allan
Old 11-29-2010, 10:12 AM
cpe190

That is great. I really appreciate the help, I will look forward to hearing from the AMYA. And I will go check out the carpet places for the tubes. Thanks again
Old 12-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi cpe190;

Season's Greetings from the 'Valley of the Sun'.

What is the current status of the sailboat; is it still for sale, are you going to place it for sale in eBay or somewhere else.....? Please keep us informed.

Very interested in Arizona, best regards and Happy Holidays,

Joe Nagy.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:25 PM
cpe190

Hi there, It is still for sale, Just have not had the time to list it yet. Please let me know if you have anyone that is interested in it. I can be contacted directly via E-mail > [email protected]. Thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 05:39 PM
1967250s

Hi, Thanks but , no, too many boats right now. Merry Christmas