Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Santa Barbara

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 09:02 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Santa Barbara

Have a old Santa Barbara sail boat that has been sitting on the top shelf in my airplane work shop. I think I bought it in the early sixties. Stll have the old Orbit radio in it.
I use to have a much older friend that use to have a twelve meter model sailboat and we would go to a local lake and have races. We use to have quite a gathering of onlookers at the lake. Have some nice pictues of both boats tacking upwind, heeled over, with bows cutting through the water. Good times I will never forget.
Anybody in the midwest interested in this type thing anymore?
What is a boat like this worth?
Old 12-29-2003, 02:01 PM
ec12-1582

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Santa Barbara

The Santa Barbara is still sailed as an active AMYA recognized class. The last fleet count I can find is 113 boats. with the majority in the Midwest (Region 3) or the West Coast (Region 6, the biggest group). I did see one on Ebay several months back that sold for about $500. Not sure of the value of yours, but the electronics, probably aren't worth much now. You might want to check with the S/B class secretary Jerry Dolis, for a rough value, and perhaps a list of folks looking for an early model S/B

[link=http://[email protected] <[email protected]>]S/B Class Secretary[/link]

Chris
Old 01-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of Orbit radio?
Old 01-25-2004, 09:08 PM
rob1416

Too bad, I was looking for an old S/B a few months ago, but I found one locally.

The class is actively raced in Chicago with a dozen or so regulars. Some of our club members who race our smaller class, the 1m Soling, are looking for used S/B's, and I'd be happy to pass on information if you will send me contact information. I suggest an e mail to [email protected]
Old 02-08-2004, 03:01 PM
shelden3

Hi,
Were you looking to sell the Santa Barbara? If so can you email me [email protected]

Charlie
OKC
Old 02-08-2004, 03:43 PM
MX240

Hi Charlie,
Just got back from a two week vacation to FL and going through my mail.
Let me think about it and get back to you.
She's a old friend.
Jim
Old 02-08-2004, 04:44 PM
shelden3

I understand completly, she may have more value than I can afford I'm not sure what they cost. She would prob, sit in my living room and see a few match races each year. I had a friend give me his dad's Star45 that he built back in the late 60's and it would look nice next to it.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 02-10-2004, 10:46 AM
LarryLudwig

S/B's go for different amounts depending on if it is a Prothroe Flushdeck or a Vortex Model. Of course sail condition, overall condition... etc etc... I have seen them go for no less than $500 on EBAY.

I am going to be producing them brand new in the box within the next 6 months, and I am going to do so quite a bit cheaper than they were brand new. Probably just the hull/deck/rudder at first... and try to add some new quality fittings later. A VORTEX kit in 1982 was about $1,100 and I am going to stay under that I am sure. ( I hope : )
Old 02-10-2004, 02:10 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd go ebay, it seems any old boat that is covered in dust will fetch more than $250.00.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:31 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Larry, I bought my Vortex S/B (hull 909) in 1975 for $495 and the hobby shop told me I was lucky because the price went to over $1000 while mine was still on the delivery truck to the hobby shop (whew).

I sold mine in Germany because I over weight on my household goods coming back to the states. I would love to get another one, so let me know when you start pumping those hulls out. Do you plan to be doing sails, masts, fittings (full kits) eventually?

Don

ORIGINAL: LarryLudwig

S/B's go for different amounts depending on if it is a Prothroe Flushdeck or a Vortex Model. Of course sail condition, overall condition... etc etc... I have seen them go for no less than $500 on EBAY.

I am going to be producing them brand new in the box within the next 6 months, and I am going to do so quite a bit cheaper than they were brand new. Probably just the hull/deck/rudder at first... and try to add some new quality fittings later. A VORTEX kit in 1982 was about $1,100 and I am going to stay under that I am sure. ( I hope : )
Old 02-11-2004, 10:10 AM
LarryLudwig

Hi Don,

you betcha... I will let you know. Yes we are planning on doing the whole kit. It will start with just the glass work for the moment. Initial options would be determined by the Class Sec. I don't think that they will allow me to ship hulls seperately from the decks and rudders (which is normal for One Design Classes to NOT do that) so as to keep the boats identical. Probably an assembled hull deck rudder hatch cover would be the starting point. I should have an extruder set do to mast/boom. The molds for the fittings are in the CAD process right now. The expensive part is the Stainless fittings... not cheap. I think Peekabee makes incredible stuff... but unfortunately they charge incredible prices for them. I think we can do better.

I have always maintained that it was the initial cost of the boats that held back the hobby because it is steep compared to other aspects (cars planes etc) The irony is that those are all "consumable" R/C items. RARELY will I see a plane or car last 20+ years... and equally rare is to see an R/C sailboat that DOESN'T last that long ! I have boats around here that are 30 years old that sail better now than when they were built because of the newer radios/winches.. but the boat itself is unchanged. OH WELL... we are going to try and change that and get more boats into more hands. Sails will be provided in the kits in either basic flat panel versions at first from me, or I will probably have some nicer sets from my old pal Rod Carr here for the more selective type.

Hull #909 is a good one, and I can tell you that they were indeed going up in price. I have the sales brocheres here with #999 on the opening page (I personally have #985) and hte basic kit was $575 and that was no ballast! Heheheh They went up to $1075 for the complete boat and the DELUXE was $1,345 ! That is no small price 20 years later!

Well... suffice to say, I won't be running them up that high even now. I am going to try and hold them to the original prices, but I won't know until the numbers are all in.

Make sure I get your email address so I can put you on the mailing list.

Larry Ludwig

[email protected]
Old 05-10-2005, 04:28 PM
hattend

Hi Larry,

Any updates?

Don
Old 05-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Larry Ludwig

We have turned out some GORGEOUS models so far... I am VERY pleased with them! The keel is still not where I wanted to be with it... and I am trying another mold again hopefully this week. The hull and deck are just flat out lovely. I will write my self a note to post some pics.

I also went ahead and did the Soling as well. I have the prototype out now, and it looks OK.... not as good as the S/B did the first time around... so probably take another whack at it and see if I can't hit another home run.

The hatch covers are going to be a challenge, to say the least... I am trying to vac them in the same tinted plexi as the originals. I will stay with that idea as long as I can see it being feasable.

Thanks for the interest, I sure hope we have them ready for inspection with in a month or so... but doubtful I will have the hatch covers done anytime soon. They are going to be tough.

LL[:-]
Old 07-11-2005, 07:48 PM
po5000
My Feedback: (1)

hi i have two s/b's and i cracked my hatch cover for my hull, 1082
and i am trying to get one if you can help that would be great .

pete
Old 07-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Larry Ludwig

HI Pete,

I heard from someone last week wanting a hatch cover also... we are working on it at the moment. We will be pouring concrete again this week... still expanding.... (didn't get it right the first time as with so many things) and one of the projects after completion of our new workspace will be an oven for doing some vacuforming of those very hatch covers. We are goofing with some different plexiglass samples at the moment... and still sorting things out. It is still a ways down the road, but we headed in the right direction.

The transparent hatch on the S/B and Soling (WHY... didn't they make the hatch opening the same size on both boats.... grrrr.....) was a nifty feature. I never wanted to go with the fiberglass hatch cover on that boat... it just doesn't look correct.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:21 PM
synriga

Do you still have that Santa Barbara that this thread was started about??

Cheers,
David

ORIGINAL: MX240

Have a old Santa Barbara sail boat that has been sitting on the top shelf in my airplane work shop. I think I bought it in the early sixties. Stll have the old Orbit radio in it.
I use to have a much older friend that use to have a twelve meter model sailboat and we would go to a local lake and have races. We use to have quite a gathering of onlookers at the lake. Have some nice pictues of both boats tacking upwind, heeled over, with bows cutting through the water. Good times I will never forget.
Anybody in the midwest interested in this type thing anymore?
What is a boat like this worth?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:51 PM
elliotta

I just purchased Vortex SB #828 in San Francisco. The hull has been refinished by a previous owner and now the mast, fittings and radio equipment need to be reinstalled. It has sat in this condition for a few years and I am at least the 4th owner. It's in excellent condition and came with a new set of Black sails as well as an old set. I'm excited to get it sailing and will be racing it at the San Francisco Yacht Club, Spreckles Lake, Golden Gate Park.

Sounds like it was made before 1975 from this thread. I'm hoping to find out more. There are about a dozen of the at the SF clubhouse and it's actively sailed. I just watched a race today.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:02 PM
elliotta

Here's a few photos of my new SB #828 all rigged and ready for tomorrow's test sail. I plan to update some of the rigging after some testing but she's pondworthy. I went with a Spektrum DX6 radio after my local hobby store made me a good offer on an open box unit. She's set up with Futaba 3003 on the rudder, an older Probar sail arm winch and a adjustable backstay via a Futaba 3801. I am also planning on adding a mainsail fine adjustment servo in the winter with my 4th channel.

Old 06-24-2006, 01:10 PM
hattend

Looks beautiful, elliotta

I sure miss my S/B (#909)

Don
Old 06-25-2006, 02:34 AM
LarryLudwig

I am pleased to say that our first S/B is in the water in San Diego. Bob DeBow completed the boat for the new owner, and Ernie Mortensen the new S/B Class Sec sent me some pics of it. They started numbering our new boats with # 1601 While we are not quite ready to start cranking out the S/B's we are working towards it. Hopefully we will have the other R&D work and shopwork under control in the near future and will be able to start getting these boats out to the people that want them. The S/B class deserves to grow and prosper and we will do everything possible to help towards that end.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:57 AM
hattend

Awesome, Larry.

I'll start saving my pennies (and dollars) Now!

Don
Old 06-25-2006, 09:49 AM
elliotta

Beautiful boat Larry! I hope to meet one on the pond someday soon. If anyone asks about a new SB we know where to send them. Let us know when you get a parts price list together for spars and fittings.

cheers,
Elliott
Old 06-29-2006, 09:28 AM
elliotta

Announcing a new discussion group dedicated specifically to all things Santa Barbara.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SantaBarbaraOD

Active members needed. Spread the word to your fellow S/B skippers!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 PM
hattend

I'll revive the thread

Larry, Are you producing S/B kits yet?

Still interested

Don
Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 AM
MX240

Hi,
Glad there is still some intrest about S/B's.
Here are a couple of pics of mine from the last weekend sail...by myself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23175.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1217920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52185.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1217921  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.