Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Iona and a couple questions.

has anyone built a boat off the linesplan of the 10rater, "Iona", from Graham Bantok ? it is a free download on his "sailsetc" site. i like the lines and i'm thinking of strip planking a "pleasure sailor" from them.

secondly, i'm not looking for ultimate performance here, would therebe anything wrong in using polyester dress lining for the sail cloth if the local yardgoods store doesn't have rip-stop?.
    thanks for replies.....ronward.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Iona and a couple questions.

Hi Ron Ward,
    I am currently building a plank on frame 10 Rater designed by Graham Bantok, the Stratus. Here is a site of a build of the Iona [link]http://www.rciona.tk/[/link]

As for the dress liner, I thing it would not be suitable sail making material, too much stretch. If not available locally, there are a few Kite Shops on-line that can supply you with the more suitable Rip-Stop. Like here[link]http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/24_108?osCsid=0b705eb91a6bcf33bf2a63cfa8f7f308[/link]

Personally I have had good luck using this Mylar to construct my own sails. [link]http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24_174/products_id/1101?osCsid=0b705eb91a6bcf33bf2a63cfa8f7f308[/link]It has proven to yield Sails that are excellent across a wide range of wind strengths.

Good luck with your boat.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi eltoro,

thanks for the links on the build and sail cloth...interesting. i'm going to buildIONAplank on frame, as welland glass it with .5oz. and resin. i'm not really concerned about weight as there's no racing around here and it's a project i've wanted to do for a long time, just to enjoy a largerc sailboat. i realize i won't be able to put quitas much keel ballast down low with the heavier hull, but i don't need as much canvas above to just sail around, so i'll reduce the canvas accordingly to keep her upright. i figure an 80% sailplan will be plenty for me. i've got some experience with sailing and design, used to own a real star sloop, an old one built in 1938, restored itwhile workingfor a local sailboat builder when i was younger.a lifetime of building furniture and cabinets hasgiven mea pretty complete shop and plan onfabricating all the hardware and rigging as well. i'm retired now and have the time and talentto enjoythings i've wanted to do for a long time, but stillhave to keep costs down abit.i'm a bit of a " build- it-instead-buy-it" type of guy. allot of the machinery in my shop is "home-made". my own slidingtable saw, a 2-1/2 hp.routertable that's morelike a shaper than a routertable, lots of jigs and fixtures. now i turn down lotsof smalljob offersbecause i'm busy doing the things i want to do in the shop.
    i've seen the mylar kite material in several pics and wondered what it was and where it came from..... nice to know, now! i just got done covering a plane with the dress lining and thought it might be good for the sails as well. i didn't think thepolyester dress lininghad much stretch, at all. not racing the boat,a properly shaped sail is more important than air tightness for my use. i wanted to get as much materials as i can locally without using on-line suppliers. if they don't work, i'll go for the mylar, but i don't expect to see much improvement for my purpose....maybe i'll makea set out each and see how much difference there is, just for fun.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Ron,
    Sounds like you have everything well thought and planed out. We both have similar philosophy of building versus buying, nothing much better then the personal satisfaction of seeing a completion of a boat building projection that you have done yourself from start to finish.

Let the rest of us know how the dress liner material works out for you. Innovation of different materials that are readily available and work in this hobby are always welcome to hear about. Materials for scratch building a RC Sailboat often have to be adapted or improvised from other hobbies or places like Home Depot. Part of the fun to find something adaptable and usable.

Here is where my current build is at. Not much to look at this point. I am utilizing Cedar, IF I do a good enough job of the planking, I may put on a clear varnish finish. If not, it will be painted. For anyone interested this is the plan i am using, designed by Graham Bantock (proper spelling of his name this time!)[link]http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=1570[/link]

Keep us informed how you are going about your build. Always interesting to hear from someone like you who have had prior experience building "people boats" using their skills to construct a RC Sailboat.

Tory

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36565.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	1597167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av68283.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	1597168  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

your boat looks good. planking job looks nice and clean so far. sometimes i see pics of builds and the planking looks like the guy put it on by dipping the planks in the glue jar! i have to look at that link of your boat!
       in all honesty, building models of this size is very much the same as building the real thing. just smaller. that smaller size difference actually can hold some of it's own difficulties, manytimes making the models harder to build.... not as much control over edge fit of the planking and more diffilculty accurately spiling a plank if you line-off each station.
       being a polester,the dress liner is actually shrinkable with heat . i'm wondering if there are some benefits to sail shaping by using a sailform block and shrinking some shape into the sail rather than using panels and broadseaming...maybe i'll find that out !.  shrinking some shape into the luff and peak of the sail might be a possibility .
        i'll keep a report going as i build.
                                                            ron