Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/3 scale Hobie 18 (2m) - need advice

I have an old 1/3 scale Hobie 18 I bought from Ebay years ago. It is about 2 meters long. It appears to have been a kit built model. It has molded glass hulls, which are very heavy. They are sealed shut. I assume that the builder put ballast in them to keep it stable. The sail winch and rudder are poorly designed, using stock servos with a home made spool attached for the sheets, and the whole RC unit put inside a tupperwaare tub under the tramp.
    I know nothing else about this catamaran. I am considering installing a top hatch in one hall, and installing a modern winch in it. I would put a similar hatch it the other hull, and put a modern rudder servo in it, with a pushrod directly to one of the rudders. The second rudder is connected to the first by an external rod like all beach cats. I am not sure about the existing weight in the hulls, or even if I can access this presumed removable weight from these potential hatches. Do I want this extra ballast? Has anyone ever heard of an old kit like this?
    Is this project even worth persuing? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    TommyRetz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/3 scale Hobie 18 (2m) - need advice

Tommy
    How about posting a few pictures to give us a better idea of what you have there? Without seeing the boat, I wouldask you how much are you willing to spend on the project
    and what would the end result be? Would you be happy with it at the cost to build it?

That would be a good start. Or you can try to sell it on line. Just a thought
    Boomer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Even I have never heard of such a kit.

Would you please be so kind to show us some pics of your cat?

Also the precise weight of each hull would be helpful.

And how about the crossbars?
    What are they made of?

We (I) need more informations to give you proper advice!

Thanks in advance,
    Idealist

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very interesting TommyRetz! I'd also be interested in photos and / or more information about your 1/3 scale Hobie 18, especially the sail rig and sail winch. I have a couple of damaged full scale Hobie 18 hulls and have been considering using one of the hulls as the main hull of a RC trimaran. I'd like to use multiple low aspect ratio sail rigs, hence my interest in your sail rig / winch.