Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Shunbo Monsoon,Legend, Phantom,Sailor,Surmount dedicated website/forum

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Shunbo Monsoon,Legend, Phantom,Sailor,Surmount dedicated website/forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 PM
NedKelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shunbo Monsoon,Legend, Phantom,Sailor,Surmount dedicated website/forum

[link=http://www.shipshaperc.com]ShipShapeRC[/link] is dedicated to the boats listed above. although they are mostly bought through Hobby King they are also available elsewhere.

It was started to take all the uncertainty out of whether to buy these cheap, chinese budget boats and if you did, what might be the pros *& cons?
Clearly a very open, honest and sincere source of reliable info but doesn't make out like it's dealing with anything else but cheap, chinese made rc sailboats.
It's aimed simply at those of us who wish to get into the hobby but with limited funds, or who just want to "test the water", so to speak.

The guys who operate it have also compiled a series of excellent ebooks that are packed with real, first hand information, including a goldmine of prebuy info for those just "looking".
Also interesting to a degree to those already into higher level boats but are just interested as to why so many buy these cheapies, and what do they have to do to them?

The forum itself is very active with over 500 visits per week, on average, and with a worldwide membership contributing daily on all the relevant topics.
A number of earlier participants have actually gone up and invested into the quality Class boats after learning what was needed at the starting level.
The forum doesn't require membership (free, as you would expect) to read all the content but does if you wish to participate.

Have a look.. the average visit time is 6 minutes.. Give it at least 10.. [8D] http://www.shipshaperc.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50090.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1618686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24931.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	1618687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15421.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1618688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50500.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1618689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq87799.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1618690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23309.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1618691  
Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
inert

Default RE: Shunbo Monsoon,Legend, Phantom,Sailor,Surmount dedicated website/forum

For the last few days I have been researching the Phantom, and I have seen your site. I looked around a bit but then realized that the forums and the site itself are really geared towards selling the information you have acquired over a long period of time working with these boats. I don't fault you for this but I prefer a forum were everyone is helping out and giving helpful info. On your site everyone seems to answer others questions with "buy the book". I would really like to know which Shunbo boat has the most potential after the necessary mods have been made to it. I don't what to buy the book just for that info. This is just my oppinion. I know you have worked hard to compile all of your information into the books.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:32 PM
NedKelly

Default RE: Shunbo Monsoon,Legend, Phantom,Sailor,Surmount dedicated website/forum

Ah.. you are too hard on us.

Firstly, the members DO NOT use the "buy the book comment unless it seems to them to be a desirable option. Keep in mind that those individuals have indeed made the purchase of their own violition and are very happy with it. None of them other than my son Mike ( who produces and owns the ebooks, I just run the forum) has any tangible connection with the production, sales or profits of those books.

But option is the operative word.. Throughout those book it is suggested that the forums threads and the members themselves be sought for information. I would imagine that several of them would be aghast to think the forum is owned by or directed the commercial interest.

This particular forum is an excellent place to ask your questions as are others. The difference is that our forum is steadfastly dedicated.

You may be surprised to know that the essence of most of the topics in the ebooks still resides in the mass of topics within the forum. The problem is finding them. Which is nothing new. Even here, try it. The ebooks just lay it all out systamatically, clearly and with lots of unique, meaningful photos.

I'll answer you question here exactly as I would if you had asked it on the forum.

First up, there is no answer. No one answer, that is. all of the mentioned models are basically manufactured in the same way with identical designs, except for enough variation to make them all look so different.
Basically the will all sail quite well with very little modification but some of the material used in rigging etc. is under par and it is in these areas that most mods are directed.
I'm not avoiding your question but just wish to assure you that all perform similar, the Surmount being th esmallest and so not up to th eothers, which are really so well matched that it comes down to the individual skipper's skill that gets the wins.
The things to consider before buying are size. appearance and just plain fancy.
The Buyers Guide ($2.99) covers all these factors along with real photos from our own fleet.
Don't give us away altogether, and don't think for a moment you are obliged to pay anything to use the forum, or to expect any different attention to your requests than if you did.
Just mention to Nemo that you are the guy from RCuni and I'll look out for it.
The eaiset boats to work on are the Sailor/Ocean Racer then the Phantom, only because they are larger.

Cheers!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Living in China, my mates & I have seen our share of these cheap plastic boats. I've gotten rid of them all & am currently sailing a modified IOM that came from a one-off run by KY Model.

Plenty of info on how to upgrade these on the MBM & RCG forums. Here are just a few examples:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...?topic=14796.0

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...p?topic=4464.0
Old 06-25-2011, 09:54 AM
gadyrdal

ORIGINAL: inert

For the last few days I have been researching the Phantom, and I have seen your site. I looked around a bit but then realized that the forums and the site itself are really geared towards selling the information you have acquired over a long period of time working with these boats. I don't fault you for this but I prefer a forum were everyone is helping out and giving helpful info. On your site everyone seems to answer others questions with ''buy the book''. I would really like to know which Shunbo boat has the most potential after the necessary mods have been made to it. I don't what to buy the book just for that info. This is just my oppinion. I know you have worked hard to compile all of your information into the books.
Hi. Without telling You to buy the book, I will recommend to You the Legend. Why? Because I have it my self, and I am just as satisfied as I can get

I got mine a few days ago, and after 4 hours it was ready to sail. I did not do ANY of the modifications, just to try how it performs straight out of the box.
After several hours of sailing, it performs absolutely perfect, an not one single drop of water has leaked inside the hull. To achieve this, I mounted the hatch underneath the
"cockpit" with clear tape. Also covered the rudder linkage hatch with clear tape, and smeared axlegrease on the rudder axle. This makes the hull waterproof, as long as
the tubes where the sheets from the winch protrudes is not submerged under water. I sailed for 4 hours today, along with my buddys Monsoon, and I had absolutely no
water inside, but the Monsoon took some through the hatch (different design, the Legend is more safe there).

So there You are, get the Legend, and You will not be disappointed
Nor will You waste sailing-time on mods. Do any mods IF they require later. Sail and have fun first

Name:	Us54878.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	1627464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71616.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	1627465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33008.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1627466  
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Windchaser

First, I am happy you are happy with your new boat. I agree they represent a good overall value to the buyer. Two cautions, the first is the tape method of sealing that hatch cover - works great - just a heads up so you are aware that the graphics on these boats are decals, with very little clear coat over them, thus they can be pulled off with most any kind of tape. The second is the mast on all of the Shunbo boats are very "bendy" and poorly connected at the center joint. As you experience heavier winds, that will become apparent.That fix is dirt simple. See the attached photo. It really needs no explanation. Through bolting the mast as shown will correct the problem completely.

Again I agree, the hatch set up on the Legend is way better than the Monsoon, so you are good there.

Hope you continue to enjoy your new boat for years to come

Windchaser

Name:	Xv65475.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1655300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38176.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1655301  
Old 08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
NedKelly

I'm not sure if Windchaser used the original plastic joiner or not. I can only say that it is not strong enough to do thejob. I could show you photos of the snapped ones we have had. Just use some aluminium and shape it to fit the mast section, make it about 5" or more and it will be as good as gold. I just glued mine in rather than use bolts but bolts are best.

And he's spot on about the clear coat and decals.. Mine has lost it's around th ehatch but the black tape covers it nicely. But be aware that cleaning fluids can also adversely affect the clear coating, particuarly on the monsoon ( it may yellow a bit on the legend after a year or so).

Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 AM
01VIPER27
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not had any problems yet with taping the hatch down. I use a black electrical tape whichworks perfect and cheap to purchase. As for the finish, that remains to be seen. I have moved the jib sail lower and as far as it can go. I have had to cut a 1/2" off the back od thejib to move the anchor point 1.5".This little mod had lowered my CG when the sail is active which also reduced pitchpoling.

I have also replaced my winch lines with an 80 lb Spider Wire (RED) fishing line which is not prone to soaking water in. The stock lines brought water in through the fairleads specially when the boat heels al lot on strong winds. Easy fix. I used 2 IV bags instead of foam for floation top keep the weight down. I am waiting on some aluminum parts to replace most of the plastic parts that have started to break.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Windchaser

Good move on replacing the "string" the factory provides. The slightest thing will snag it! Like to see your modifications to the jib. Can you takefew pictures and post them for us?
Thanks
Windchaser
Old 09-01-2011, 05:37 PM
01VIPER27
My Feedback: (1)

Windchaser,
Between watching IOM clips on the tube, reading articles, visiting forums, bench and actual tests here is what I have come up with.
Jib Sail Mod 1 - Good results
-Lowering my jib boom reduced my pitchpoling
-With the above simple mod, the angle of the jib boom was slightly raise causing the jib sail to deploy faster even on low wind

Jib Sail Mod 2 - Best results
-I moved the jib sail as far back possible to the mast by 1st cutting a 1/2" off the back of the jib boom then I bound a ring and swivel 1 1/2" from the original position
-Added a 3/4 oz lead weight on a 3" long 440 SS rod for counter balance and sail deployment
-This mod shifted the entire jib sail closer to the mast as well as increasing the jib booms camber = lower CG = almost zero pitchpoling = zero side to side rocking when the wind is heavy from the stern = better control and speed.

Name:	Ay76169.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1656329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81725.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1656330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74096.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1656331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79251.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1656332  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 PM
jucava

I'm also using electrical tape and haven't had any water or peeling. At some point my ruder control arm star slipping and I replaced with an arm from a landing gear the ones that have a metal ring inside. Beside this i had a lot of fun.