Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Revell 1/96 Constitution Pond Ship

Hey All,

Thought I'd share my latest project which is a "Close Enough" USS Constitution Model from Revell's 1/96 kit. I say 'close enough' because I only added details that either added to the strength of the masts & rigging, or I just plain wanted. I also modified the rigging to suit my purposes, but leaving it in a arguably realistic looking state from 15ft, which is as close as anyone will get after launching. Originally, I purchased this kit with the intention of converting it to RC, but I changed my mind when the wooden ship I had kept permanently moored in our pond decided to 'open a seam' and foundered. Sick of re-sealing the wooden model every year, I thought I'd try something more unsinkable, also the Constitution model is about a foot larger....bonus. Technically she's not RC and will be permanently anchored with just a couple topsails and jib to prevent damage in high winds, but I thought it was interesting enough to post. I have about 4lb of lead in her keel and filled the hull up to the gundeck with foam, then sealed everything there with silicone, leaving the upper deck unsealed so there is airflow through the gundeck to allow any rain or dampness to clear. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the build in process, but here she is as of today. Yards and sails to follow in the next couple days, then we launch!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ec89495.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	1624198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	us53483.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	1624199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qo38723.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	1624200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt57856.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	1624201  
    \"So you have a mind to fight? That is well, for you shall have your fill!\" Captain Sir Edward Pellew, Lord Exmouth

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Revell 1/96 Constitution Pond Ship

Forgot to mention, I decided to paint it without the familiar 'White Stripe' paint scheme. Historians disagree what she actually looked like as built, but one thing is certain, she looked nothing like she does today. I decided to go the with yellow-ochre scheme because it is more in keeping with her Sisters-In-Arms like the Essex and Constellation, and it is very likely she was launced that way. Also, it is documented she was painted like this on several occasions to confuse the British. Plus, I just plain like it!
    Also, you may have noticed the funny looking thing on the deck between the ship's boats. About halfway through the build I was inspired to have a lighted ship at night to go with the solar powered lighthouse on our pond, so I found an solar outdoor 60 led light string and carefully hot-glued the lights to the underside of the upper deck, leaving two lights above deck at the stern to replicate lanterns. I had to make a small incision on the main deck to accomodate the solar panel, but I painted it's edges brown to match the rest of the hatches, and I think it blends in nicely. It was absolutely worth the effort when you see her at night! After a good charge she glows nicely for about 8-10 hrs.

Name:	sp45148.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	1624208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sq47177.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	1624209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ay73731.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	1624210  
    \"So you have a mind to fight? That is well, for you shall have your fill!\" Captain Sir Edward Pellew, Lord Exmouth

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Revell 1/96 Constitution Pond Ship

Constitution received her new suit of sails and slid down the slipway on Father's day. She seemed very weatherly and stiff, with enough sails to reperesent a ship coming in to port to anchor (as in Harland's book "Seamanship In The Age Of Sail". However, within a couple of hours, I was reminded why it is always a good idea to have a weighted fin keel. A stiff wind had her on her beam ends, and she just wasn't coming back. Even though I thought I had plenty of ballast, I had forgot about the lever action of a weighted fin keel once the center of gravity was blown out of sorts. However, I had included enough leeway in her draft for just such an occasion, and had everything shipshape with a new fin added in minutes. She now swings happily at anchor and putts about nicely on her anchor line. She looks amazing at night with her lights twinkling off the water in front of the "Tyson Point" Lighthouse!

Name:	fd91110.jpg 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	1625701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lg17040.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	1625702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bg94208.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	1625703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ca81275.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	1625704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cx76693.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	1625705  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jp32583.jpg 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	1625706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hf98407.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	1625707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zx72264.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	1625708