Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Just getting into it

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Just getting into it

Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 PM
dhershy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just getting into it

I am looking for a decent RC boat for around 155 US dollars any one have any suggestions. I would prefer if it had minimum assembly. By the way I am no novice to the concept of sailing. I have sailed small boats such as sun fish and lazers for about three years.

thanks
Dhershy
Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 PM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Just getting into it

ORIGINAL: dhershy

I am looking for a decent RC boat for around 155 US dollars any one have any suggestions. I would prefer if it had minimum assembly. By the way I am no novice to the concept of sailing. I have sailed small boats such as sun fish and lazers for about three years.

thanks
Dhershy
There are a number of choices. Iinvite you to visit another RC forum thathas a large sailboatsection that canbe of great help to you.http://www.rcgroups.com/sailboats-59 The RC Universeforumdoes not have as large a sailboat following as does the RCGroups.com forum. Thelink I've provided,offers you a wealth of information on just about every kind of RC sailboat you can think of.

I suggest you consider the Nirvana ll as the bestplace to start for your first boat. You will have to spendabout $50 more but, it is the right choice for you. Check out this link to lean more about these time tested and extremely popular RC sailboats: http://sailrc.com/sailrcnirvana/Nirvana_Store.html The fellow there Steve Lang, knows about everthing there is to know about these boats. There are several very good deals on these boats going on right now on his remaining stock. You can alsovisithttp://www.harbormodels.comwhois a newly appointed Nirvana dealer with the bestpricesI have seen.To get a sense of the Nirvana from an owner's point of view check out this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794969

Another option is tocheck outa well know company in So. Ca. called Victor Models. They manufacture a nice line of RC sailboats from 12" to 44". They sell boats inkit form, or infullyready to sail versions, that include everything you need to go sailing. Check out this link and take a look at their boats. Kits are generally in your price range.
Kit boats generally will require you to have or purchase additional parts which would include: 2 servos (rudder and sail) radio and a receiver and a battery pack. Prices vary depending on the choices you make.For details go to: http://www.victor-model.com

This should get you started. Stop by the other forum and ask the same question and you will should get a lot of good responses.

Boomer

I posted a picture of the Nirvana ll and one of the Victor boats - These are more like $350 in completed form, you can build a kit for less.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84485.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1589166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50782.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1589167  
Old 04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
thorsail

Dhershy
while I DO NOT disagree with anything Boomer said - your budget constraints will be a problem - you will see boats listed on
ebay ( for example) that might be close in dollars , but will in the long run disappoint.
I would also suggest you get more local info in this - so take a few minutes and go to the American Model Yachting Assoc. website
at www.theamya.org in the left hand tabs look for the club info , and you will see a list by state of rc sailing clubs - ought to be
lots in MA. talk to those guys , see what they sail , when and where. often a used first boat is a good idea - however $155. won't
get you far . the main point is , sailing with a group of guys is WAY fun , and sailing within a class is the way to go.
BUT - your doing research ,and that is the way to avoid buyers remorse . THATS why we help people in these chat sites - it benefits
the hobby if you get the right gear , "right" boat , and ask tons of questions . the shame is local hobby stores are really useless when
it comes to rc sailboats .no help there.
oh , and while on the AMYA site - checkout the tabs that describe the various class boats being raced these days.

Allan
Old 04-05-2011, 02:48 AM
dhershy

IThanjks for all the help i am going to to tak a look at those crafts. But i have als ofound 2 other ones that seem to be decent

http://www.activepowersports.com/pro...KYO40041B.html
How ever there is a lack of information so if any one could tell me any thing about it that would be nice

http://www.activepowersports.com/pro...-AQUB01**.html

I also found this one its at the top of my price range but i can srcap up an extra 5 buks.

so how ware this two ships??
Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 AM
boomer1

Here are a few thoughts on the two boats you have listed. The Fortune is a very nice boat and the price is the lowest I have seen. It isa small version ( 24 inches ) of their 'flag ship" the 1M Seawind. The fortune is very small boat which translates to being limited to light wind conditions, andsmall boat can bevery hard to see from accross an average pond. I have sailed this boat and can report is sails well, but is easily overpowered by a decent breeze. This is a really nice looking boat (to my taste) and not a bad choice but, like most who get them,you aremost likely toend up getting a larger boat.

The Aqua-craft isa littlelonger boat at 26". In my opinion this is more ofa "toy like" product. Aqua-craft sells quite a few of these but, I have not seen many out sailing by those who are out sailing on a regular bases. I have sailed this boat as well, and would give the Kyosho muchhigher marks overall.

"thorsail' has given you good suggestions. Ito am a member of AMYA, and enjoy class racing, but that may not for everyone. There is a classified section on their web site, that has some nice boats for sale, and is worth a visit. The best sailing small boatsI am aware ofis the 21" Micro Magic, but comes as a kit. They just started to offer a ready to sale boat but it sells for $350 or close to that.

Honestly, a larger boat will provide you with a better overall experience. You can not beat the Nirvana ll. If you pony up for a few more "bucks" I believe you'd be happier and better off. I canshare withyou thatthe Nirvana has superior resale value. Why, because is a very good boat to start with, and grow with. I am speaking from personal experience. My first RC sailboat was a Nirvana ll. I liked it so much, I gotsecond Nirvana. I have since owned a dozen other RC yachts. I sold the first two Nirvana's for what I paid for them a year later. Now some years later, I just got another new Nirvana. I have several more expensive and larger RC sailboats, but found I missed sailingthe Nirvana. I gotthis onewith out the electronics, to save a little money. I had the servos and radio so, it was very reasonable. By the way, the Nirvana has an official AMYA class and it is great fun to race with other owners.

I grant you there are many choices which can be confusing. I promise,youwill be happier if you do researh before you buy. Thorsail is right on the money in suggesting you find and visita sailing club near you. Most of these clubs have a"guest" sailboat or two, or will invite you to sail their own boats. RC Sailors are a great group of folks who feel that the more the sailors, the better.

The choice is yours, but in the long run, knowledge is your friend and will end up saving you money. I posted a picture of myblue Nirvana and few other Nirvana pictures for you to get an idea of how they look on the water. Check out the sites we have given you, and let us know what you think.

Boomer

IThanjks for all the help i am going to to tak a look at those crafts. But i have als ofound 2 other ones that seem to be decent

http://www.activepowersports.com/pro...KYO40041B.html
How ever there is a lack of information so if any one could tell me any thing about it that would be nice

http://www.activepowersports.com/pro...-AQUB01**.html

I also found this one its at the top of my price range but i can srcap up an extra 5 buks.

so how ware this two ships??

Name:	Zx71892.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1589558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52078.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1589559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30296.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1589560  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 AM
chidago

Guys,

HI , Allen, long time no talk to!
the Nirvana, as boomer correctly recommended, is probably the best all around R/C buy out there today..designed by a REAL boat designer, great appearance, best waterproof radio box out there, next to the laser, american supported by Steve Lang, who most sail guys know. no better, period. amya class boat, over 10,000 in theUSA now.

that boat, radio inc. is being sold as I speak for $190.00 from harbormodels.com, a real good guy, and how do you get on the water within 15 min. of opening the box that cheap with a quality boat? you aint.

carbon booms and mast, good paint, great size, does well in light to heavy wind, and fits in the car, masted.. trouble is,tho, it doesnt serve adult beverages.......

John..
Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
dhershy

Okay I Have seen that the Nirvana Is probally the best one. So i Have been able to convince my parents for a loan. Im assuminbg the nirvana for harbor modle includes all the servos and the remtote control please correct me if im wrong
Old 04-05-2011, 11:12 AM
boomer1

You are correct - It is ready to rock and roll. You'll need 4 AA batteries for the boat and 8 for the radio. That is it.
Contact there is Dave -Phone 626.292.1617. You might tell him that Rick (Boomer) and John (Chidago) suggested you contact him. You will enjoy chatting with him as he is a very nice fellow - and has been in the business for many years and is held in high regard by all that trade with him.

Good decision on your part!!! Stay intouch with us. We'd all be happy to answer any questions.
Boomer

Okay I Have seen that the Nirvana Is probally the best one. So i Have been able to convince my parents for a loan. Im assuminbg the nirvana for harbor modle includes all the servos and the remtote control please correct me if im wrong
Old 04-05-2011, 12:18 PM
dhershy

Okay two more questions. first how much assembly does the  Nirvana  require and second are there any sailing clubs in the boston MA area??
Old 04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
boomer1

The boatitself requires no actual assembly, but you do have to unpack the box and fit a few parts together. NO glue or special tools are needed. The manufacturer uses some tape to keep the sails in place during shippment., so just pull it off slowly. The things you have to do, my wife can do, so that should give you an idea of really simple it is to set up the boat.

The boat stand is fully assembled, the keel is fully assembled, all you have to do is slide in up through the slot in the bottom of the hull and turn the locking devise that secures it in place. You have to plug in the mast which comes in two pieces. One piece slides inside the other. There isa backstay and two side shrouds (wires) that are alreadyconnected to the top of the mast, all you have to dois hook on them tothedeck fittings that are marked clearly for you.

You have to attach the Jib to the mast. and once that is done, hook the jib boom to the bracket on the deck. You have slide the rudder into to hole and put the rudder arm on it and tighten it. Everything is marked so well you don't have to know anything about boats todo this. Part "A" attaches toabracket marked "A" and so on. Very simple. If it takes 30 mins I'd be very suprised

I have attached a copy of the owner's manual for you to review prior to getting your boat. It has lots of pictures and step by step instructions. Again, my wife can put this boat together with out a problem. That is one of the reasons this boat is so popluar.

Boomer

Here is some info from the Megatech web site (they make the boats)
Nirvana II Racing Sloop
Nirvana is a ready-to-sail radio controlled competition sailboat that has been designed from the keel up to handle like a full-scale racing yacht —not a toy like other RC sail boats.

Here ’s just a few of the features that make this Low-drag composite hull design with large 32-inch over-all length. Removable racing keel,with ballast-bulb,and large area deep-water rudder that,working together,keep the Nirvana on precisely controlled headings at all times.All rigging is mounted up to a super-ridged carbon fiber main mast and fully proportional sail winch that allow the sails to be trimmed for absolutely any combination of wind conditions and heading dynamic such as:close reach,broad reach or running with the wind.

From stays to clew fasteners,Nirvana is absolutely regatta ready in minutes from opening the box.Even the 2-channel radio pre-mounted in its watertight compartment pre-centered.

[*]Competition mylar sails withstand up to 20 knot (23mph, 37kph) winds and sailing speeds up to 6 knots[*]95%ready-to-sail, simple assembly in just minutes from opening the box[*]Rigid carbon fiber mast with quick release foot for easy portability[*]Radio compartment is self-sealing for water tightness[*]Fully installed FM 2-Channel digital proportional radio provides accurate sail control and "underway" trim changes[*]Jib features lightweight boom and adjustable clew tension[*]Ballast bulb racing style keel features quick release for easy portability[*]Heavy duty, high torque metal geared sail winch servo for superior control[*]Water tight sealed radio compartment for added protection[*]Large area, deep water rudder[*]Low-drag composite hull design[/list]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vt58034.pdf (2.60 MB, 50 views)
Old 04-05-2011, 02:37 PM
dhershy

finally one last question. does the main sail and the jib opperate in unision or are they control indvidaully
Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
boomer1

There only two servos on board,one for the sails (main and jib) and the other for the rudder. The radio has two sticks on it, one for rudder (right side of the radio) that moves left and right, and the sail stick is of course on the other side and slides up and down to pull the sails in and to let them out. The manual shows this is detail.
Were you able to open the attached on my last post? It will answer most of your questions.

I have attached a picture of the compartment that holds all the electronics, may help you understand how it all works. Thesail servo is larges and quite strong and has it metal gears inside so it has the power topull in the sails in strong wind conditions. The rudder is a standard servo, as it doesn't require as much torque to operate the rudder.

In the picture below you'll seea Yellow balloon, many of us put the receiver in a balloon to protect it should water get inside this compartment. That is a very rare thing, but
it pays to be careful.

Boomer

finally one last question. does the main sail and the jib opperate in unision or are they control indvidaully

Name:	Bz79270.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1589783  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:26 PM
blizard05

Okay two more questions. first how much assembly does the Nirvana require and second are there any sailing clubs in the boston MA area??
check out Eastern MA,1/2 way down the page
Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 AM
blizard05

COME on down to Woods Hole ,April 16-17. There will be more sail boats than you can shake a jib at. There will be sail boats from all over New England and the North East
Old 04-09-2011, 06:37 PM
boomer1

dhershy
Did you order your boat? We have not heard from you. Like know.
Thanks
Boomer
Old 04-10-2011, 02:22 PM
dhershy

I have not order the boat yet. The reason being is that First i need scarp up more 30 dollars. second still loocking for one more sailing location( I have three right now but towrds the middle of the summer there are alot weeds in the water) and thrid I have benn extremely busy with my garden. Finally fourth I am in a highly active boy scout troop and have been aways since friday But I do plan on ordering it within 2 weeks
Old 04-10-2011, 03:56 PM
blizard05

Where in MA are you?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 AM
dhershy

Easton ma not eastern town is called Easton. It is about 25 minutes south of boston
Old 04-12-2011, 03:30 AM
blizard05

I know Easton,I pick up auto parts at the industrial park. I'm located in Plymouth. Larry
Old 04-27-2011, 10:03 AM
boomer1

I have not order the boat yet. The reason being is that First i need scarp up more 30 dollars. second still loocking for one more sailing location( I have three right now but towrds the middle of the summer there are alot weeds in the water) and thrid I have benn extremely busy with my garden. Finally fourth I am in a highly active boy scout troop and have been aways since friday But I do plan on ordering it within 2 weeks

How are you doing on saving your money for your boat? I hope you are getting close, or better yet,that you have reached your goal.I just got another Nirvana, so I have two now. Both have upgraded Hitech servos and upgraded radios. Both are blue. There a still a few at the lower price, so do hurry. The dealers are already starting to raise their prices. Let me know if you need any more information

Boomer

Name:	Us53192.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	1599981  
Old 09-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Ron R

Hi guys, I just started getting into RC Sailboats. I found this very interesting and helpful thread as I was searching for info on the used boat I just bought. I'll start a new thread asking for info on it. But I wanted to chime in on this and ask if anyone is aware of a place I could buy a Nirvana at the earlier price mentioned? I looked at Harbor Models and they are now at 269.00 for the Nirvana II. I'd jump on one of the older units mentioned at 195.00.

As an aside, I will now start another thread asking for help identifying the boat I just bought.

Thanks for the help. Very helpful thread here.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 AM
boomer1

Ron,
The two NIrvana's are the same boats, the difference being the radio that is provided with the boat. You can by a better radio for less than the price difference.

If you are dealing with Steve Lang at sailrc.com - you are in good hands, Steve is the master distributor for Nirvana's.
Another place you might consider is Harbormodels.com contact there is Dave -Phone 626.292.1617. He usually has good prices and good service to boot.

To learn more about Nirvana's, I suggest visiting rcgroups.com - sailboat section - then go to the Nirvana threads. Has over 115,000 views and thousand of comments. Fun thread - wide range of topics discussed - no better place to learn about this boat and what can be done with it and to it.

The forum also has a much more active sailboat thread, with discussions on most brands and classes of RC sailboats. Worth the time to check it out.

Winchaser

Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Paulvive

It depends on how you want to sail, for fun or racing. If racing the most popular, because of price is the Victor Model Products Soling Kit. The isn't much buildind to do and it's not complicated.