Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Need Help Identifing My New Used Boat

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Need Help Identifing My New Used Boat

Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Ron R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Identifing My New Used Boat

I have just received this boat and need some help. Is seems to be very old but in great shape. I don't think it was ever sailed. It has an old radio system with it. It is 72-76 MHz 3 channel. It is a metal case radio. I don't think I can legally even use this radio, but I do have a nice DX-7 that I can use. I came to sailboats from Helicopters and Planes.

The boat measures 36 inches length and 48 inch mast from deck.

The radio has labels that say it is CIRRUS Sport Three, Hobby Shack. It also has an address Buena Park Calif. I goggled and found a phone number, but the number is constantly a busy signal.

The boat has installed the receiver, battery pack, and 1 servo connected to Rudder. The sails have lines going down and into the hull, but no servo or obvious place to mount one. I don't know how to install a sail servo or rig the sails to it. All of the other radio equipment is mounted in a Styrofoam mount box. It has no room for another servo.

I need any help I can get identifying this boat. And how to install and rig the sail servo.

Thanks,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23902.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	1659559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74819.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1659560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64254.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1659561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97452.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1659562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79492.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1659563  
Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 AM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Help Identifing My New Used Boat

Ron
Go to this link to find out more about your boat. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461553

the radio is old technology and may have more value as an antique. Your current model radio would be fine if you can install a sail control system
Some old remote control boats didn't have sail servos, just rudder control. I had one back in my youth. (a very long time ago) The sails just flop around and you do the best you can with the rudder. As a kid, it was great fun, not so much now.

Servo trays can be purchased at hobby shops and bonded to the inside of the hull, but you mentioned you don't see any room in the hull. I suppose you could engineer a deck or simi-deck mounted set up, if the urge to make this boat functional is strong enough, Logic suggestsrelocating the rudder servo aft to makeroom for a sail servo mount. It is pretty much a question of how handy are you? Taking everything out, starting over makes some sense. The old servo may have to be replaced in addition to a new sail servo - once the engineering has been done.
If you are not attached to the boat, you can try to sell it - these forums all have classified sections -
E-bay charges some fees for selling things but can get you some exposure. Food for thought.
Hope you visit the other forum - should help you get some information
Windchaser (here) Boomer there