Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

R/C Laser receiver install question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

R/C Laser receiver install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 PM
MarTay6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C Laser receiver install question

I just purchased a Laser sailboat without the rcvr/xmtr, as I have my own. I'm guessing that the receiver will install on the top of the compartment since there's a small piece of velcro already installed there, but unsure how to route the 2 antenna wires from the Spectrum 2.3 Ghz receiver. An suggestions? I'm considering taping them with small strips of duct tape to the deck underside in different directions. Thanks for any advice!
Wes
Old 09-09-2011, 03:01 AM
Yankeepop

Default RE: R/C Laser receiver install question

If I remember correctly the radio should have a piece of velcro to hole it against the inside top.  Don't use duck tape it has metal partials in it and besides it won't stick anyway.  Antennas can point anywhere inside the boat.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:38 AM
MarTay6

That's what I figured, finding the piece of velcro under the deck... but I was adding my own receiver- didn't get it with the kit, so wasn't sure what to do with the antenna wires... would like to keep them away from the servo/battery pack wired, I guess if you just let them lie loose in the compartment, that's what I'll do, unless anyone has a better suggestion.
Wes
Old 05-28-2013, 02:40 PM
raydm2

Maybe I'm too late to help you, but on my RC Laser, I velcro the short antenna to the side of the receiver so that the antenna is horizontal at all times even when boat heels over.
For best results with a 2.4Ghz transmitter, the antenna should then be bent horizontal also. This gives best range and consistency to your receiver and servos.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Freedom13

I have a related question. My father recently purchased a Surmount sailboat for my son. The instructions are horrible (I think they were translated twice using a translation program) but puttng the boat together was fairly straightforward....except for the receiver, which I bought from Hobby King. The instructions mention connecting a battery (obviously not supplied) to the receiver. I've taken apart the servo as much as I dare, but cannot find any place to put a battery. What am I missing. Do I need a battery? Also, there's a little hole at the base of the mast, through which I'm supposed to feed a "radio wire" (also not supplied) and I assume solder or otherwise connect to the antenna wire connected to the receiver supplied by Hobby King. I'm about to through the whole thing in the trash or sell it on e-Bay. Can anybody provide any guidance on how I can proceed?

Many, many, many Thanks!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The radio wire will be the receiver aerial.  On AM and FM outfits, this is usually the long piece of wire hanging out of the receiver normally at the opposite end to the slots where the servos plug in.  The current crop of modern 2,4GHz sets have a much shorter aerial, the only important requirement is that it should be above water.
Sail servos come in two basic types - some have a very obvious battery connection lead and supply power to the receiver down the lead that plugs into the receiver, the rest are powered from whatever is powering the receiver.  I suspect that yours is the latter.  The receiver battery plugs into the receiver in the slot (usually with just 2 pins) market "Batt".  
Some 2.4GHz sets have many more channels, and assume that power will feed from one of the peripherals, so do not have a dedicated battery slot.
There should be is no need at all to get out the soldering iron or do any dismantling of the servo.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:49 AM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Freedom13

I have a related question. My father recently purchased a Surmount sailboat for my son. The instructions are horrible (I think they were translated twice using a translation program) but puttng the boat together was fairly straightforward....except for the receiver, which I bought from Hobby King. The instructions mention connecting a battery (obviously not supplied) to the receiver. I've taken apart the servo as much as I dare, but cannot find any place to put a battery. What am I missing. Do I need a battery? Also, there's a little hole at the base of the mast, through which I'm supposed to feed a "radio wire" (also not supplied) and I assume solder or otherwise connect to the antenna wire connected to the receiver supplied by Hobby King. I'm about to through the whole thing in the trash or sell it on e-Bay. Can anybody provide any guidance on how I can proceed?

Many, many, many Thanks!!!
All the boats produced by this manufacture require a battery holder., radio and receiver. The boats typiclcally includes a switch, if not you need one - but you need to buy a battery pack, can be purchased with or with out a switch. See the photo below. Most hobby shops sell them for about $5 to $6. The servos require a min. of 4.8V DC to 6V DC. The battery packs hold 4 AA 1.5 Volt batteries( = 6Volts). You can buy rechargeable batteries which save money over time if you the correct charger.

Your receiver has a battery port - caution - besure to plug the plug in the correct orientation. I included a picture of a Monsoon which is similar to your boat's set up. You can see the switch and battery pack - The two servo's plug in to your receiver as well.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87972.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1892271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62286.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1892272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75443.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	15.2 KB