Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Hey fellers just got a B24 King Fish Sailboat kit.

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Hey fellers just got a B24 King Fish Sailboat kit.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 PM
GreenAce92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey fellers just got a B24 King Fish Sailboat kit.

Hey all,

I just got a B24 King Fish Kit from Sterling Models. I need help on tips on finishing it like how to make sails, mast, sealing it up hooking up the mast to servos and winches. Plus balancing it right will post pics tomorrow. The hull and top is built up i just have to glue everything solid together but first i have to build the mast i have i think the first mast done already. The kit was given to me and it was nearly finish and im not a boat person. I usually work with airplanes and subs so i dont know how many channels are needed.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:26 PM
GreenAce92

Default RE: Hey fellers just got a B24 King Fish Sailboat kit.

What is the problem i cant post pictures this keeps coming up. I am using a new camera so im not sure what the problem is.
The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the www.rcuniverse.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
You can also see a list of related sites.

HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer
Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 AM
GreenAce92

Ok here are 3 pictures of her.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22998.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	772526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94240.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	772527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68168.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	772528  
Old 09-29-2007, 10:12 AM
GreenAce92

You guys got any tips on rebuilding her like how many channels and stuff. Because its designed for 3 sails and judging by the shape of the boat it looks like its a fast sailer the only bad thing is is that there is no motor for it so if theres no wind im stranded.

Thanks.
I also have the original plans if you guys want a picture of that just let me know.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:24 AM
tigerbay

ORIGINAL: GreenAce92

You guys got any tips on rebuilding her like how many channels and stuff. Because its designed for 3 sails and judging by the shape of the boat it looks like its a fast sailer the only bad thing is is that there is no motor for it so if theres no wind im stranded.

Thanks.
I also have the original plans if you guys want a picture of that just let me know.
HI there. Nice looking sailbaot.

You only need two channels. One for sails and one for rudder.
I have a twin masted schooner. Mainsail, forsail and two headsails all on one servo.

I have no motor either. But I have only once exoerienced almost no wind. And I am sheltered between high buildings.
Worst case is you have to wait until there is a bit of a breeze.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:04 PM
GreenAce92

Thanks. I will have to build it later im more of an rc plane kindoff guy.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 AM
GreenAce92

Hey guys! I am interested again in sailboats, I have been doing some research and see that indeed you only need 2 channels. I plan on putting a filon plastic rudder on her, and then using some kind of sail material (plastic?) need to figure out the boom setup as well. I can probably find the plans online somewhere. Also I think I'll convert it into a sloop for ease.

Any further help would be nice thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 PM
thorsail

Hey greenace
I found an image of the King Fish but it's not very good . one thing is you have the cabin turned round the wrong way in the
pic you posted . there is a Sterling catalog on line , see if you can make anything out of it. click on the last catalog and I
believe it's page 5 for the sailboats , at this addy........

//home.mindspring.com/~jeff.coons/vintagesterlingmodels

I tried a google search for images and got nada.
hope this helps
Allan
Old 09-27-2011, 05:12 PM
techdesign

Hi, I was just given a partially built King Fish with No Plans. Could you help me out? [email protected]
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
techdesign

Yes I'd like a copy of those plans as I was given the kit by a friend but it came without the plans. It is half built. respond to [email protected]
Old 10-18-2011, 12:03 PM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

Gentlemen,
I respect your desire to build or re-build the B24 King Fish, but have a question for you. What is you ultimate objective for this boat when it is completed? Intending no disrespect at all, just wondering if you see this boat becoming great little rc yacht? Often projects are taken on because the object may have "great bones" and when completed will yield a very fine end result.

Again, intending no disrespect, this boat from almost any point of view would not be one of those. On the positive side of things you can reduce the cost of the project by using the radio you use for your planes for the boat. While sailboats require only two channels (sail and rudder) a multiple channel 2.4 ghz radio will work great, but you'd need a matching receiver or borrow one from a plane not in use.

This boat will require some investment $$ for two servos (sail and rudder) you will need a battery holder and there will be some expense for rigging and other hardware such as; deck plates, a mast, main and jib booms miscel. fasteners to hold things in place and to operate the sails and the rudder and a nice set of sails. You will have to construct a servo and battery tray and design the sail and rudder control mechanisms. I assume you have epoxy and fabrication materials and tools since your are into flying.

The reason I ask is that there are so many good alternatives for you if you are serious about getting into RC Sailing. Some on once asked "what you get if you dress a pig in a $200 suit? The answer; you get a pig in a $200 suit.". It appears that the boat underdiscussion was not designed to be sailed.

Just sayin it is worth considering the total investment you will have once the project is completed versus what you get for it.

You can get a very good RC yacht kit for about $100 - Take a look at the Thunder Tiger Victoria or a V32 from Victor Models. There are many more.. The kit requires the servos and radio but everything is pretty much all there - and when it is completed - you'd have a very good sailboat - these boats also have great resale value if you ended up not liking sailing.

Just offering some food for thought.

Boomer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58582.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	1676086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96172.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1676087