For my first venture into wind power after much searching of the many boats available I bought a Laser.
I am very happy with this boat being a complete novice to sail boats. It ticked the following boxes for me:
1) It is very easy to assemble and get ready for running.
2) It has not even in rough conditions let any water into the radio compartment.
3) It takes different sails to cope with a wide range of wind speeds.
4) It doesn't seem to have issues that often come with many out of the box boats requiring upgrades.
5) I like the fact that it has its own class for racing and rules that prevent modifications that would otherwise give advantages to certain skippers. The concept in my opinion is a good one.
Here are a couple of short clips of my first two runs of the boat:
All good fun