Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

kyosho sailboats?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

kyosho sailboats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:51 PM
boatfisher25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyosho sailboats?

are plastic hulls durable for sailboats ? and is the seawind complete set or the fotune 612 2 better? also will they last for a long time?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: kyosho sailboats?

I have a seawind. It is a complete kit (less radio gear). Mine was bought in 2004 and it is still going strong. Out of the two the seawind is larger but more expensive. I am really happy with it and can recommend it. If you want to know anything else then just ask.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:42 PM
boatfisher25

is the hull flimsy in some places like in the back to the right and left of the cap because i have a fairwind and it is flimsy. also can you buy replacement hulls?

thans
Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not say it was flimsy. The standard hatch leaks quite badly and almost everyone replaces it. I just use stickyback material. In the years I have had mine I have not had to do any repair work and I have sailing in winds that were well above the limits of the boat.
As for replacement hulls. Tower used to sell them but they do not sell Kyosho anymore. I would expect to be able to find one if you looked hard enough.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:54 AM
blizard05

I have both , the Fair wind & Sea wind since 1994. No problems you can get replacment parts from Kyosho. Larry
Old 10-02-2009, 06:40 PM
boatfisher25

i cant find a replacement hull for the seawind can you guys please put a web site on thanks
Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Islander51

I found this;

Amainhobbies.com and AceHardwarehobbies.com are also both carrying Kyosho parts for 7.5's and 777's. Other than that click the link below to get info to call Kyosho USA directly for parts that are not soo common anymore.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/contact/contact.asp

Old 02-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: boatfisher25

are plastic hulls durable for sailboats ? and is the seawind complete set or the fotune 612 2 better? also will they last for a long time?

I had a Koyosho Fairwind years ago and my friend sailed it into a rock at a faily good clip. The bow sprit took the punishment but the painted finish did not.

Regards,
Bill
Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

The two boats 1 Meter Seawind and the it's little brotherthe Fortune 612 are really like comparing a grapefruit and an orange. The Seawind will out sail the Fortune in most imaginable wind conditions.

The Fortune is a very pretty boat that sails very well for it's size - and they make really great display boats.

As the other chaps have reported the Seawind comes in kit form and requires some skills anda few basic tools. If you are pretty handy with your hands and can read you should be able to put one together. It does require some sanding, painting, some glue work, some mechanical aptitude helps. The smaller Fortune comes fully assembled so if assembly is not your thing, the fortune is a good choice. If you want a Seawind check out this link:
http://www.activepowersports.com/kyosho-seawind-sailing-boat-kyo40460/ Best deal on a new Seawind I have seen lately.

There are other good choices, one of which is a Nirvana ll 32" and comes RTR for $269.00 If you areinterested check out this link http://www.sailrc.com/products/nirvana/

Another nice boat is to consider is the Serenity by Proboat 36" this boat comes almost ready to sail - requires a little assembly - a lot easier than the Seawind. Horizon Hobbies/Proboats sell them for $299 and one more to consider is the Vela 1 Meter Tower Hobbies sells them for $329 both include a 2.4 ghz radio and witha little work your are ready to go sailing. They just released a new 18" RTR sailboat "Westward" $149.99see it at this link: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...at-rtr-PRB3350

Most boats in this category require a few tweaks to get them to their potential, the exception being theNirvana ll They come ready to go with a radio and in less than 30 min's you can be sailing.

I have a Seawind, Serenity, a Nirvana ll among sailboats. I have had a Fortune 612 and a Vela. All are fun. The Vela needed more fixes than the others. Hope this helps a little.

Boomer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96823.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1730525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54838.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1730526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39934.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1730527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28791.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1730528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69334.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1730529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50830.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1730530  
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: boomer1

The two boats 1 Meter Seawind and the it's little brother the Fortune 612 are really like comparing a grapefruit and an orange. The Seawind will out sail the Fortune in most imaginable wind conditions.

The Fortune is a very pretty boat that sails very well for it's size - and they make really great display boats.

As the other chaps have reported the Seawind comes in kit form and requires some skills and a few basic tools. If you are pretty handy with your hands and can read you should be able to put one together. It does require some sanding, painting, some glue work, some mechanical aptitude helps. The smaller Fortune comes fully assembled so if assembly is not your thing, the fortune is a good choice. If you want a Seawind check out this link:
http://<font color=''#00265e''>http:...o40460/</font> Best deal on a new Seawind I have seen lately.

There are other good choices, one of which is a Nirvana ll 32'' and comes RTR for $269.00 If you are interested check out this link http://www.sailrc.com/products/nirvana/

Another nice boat is to consider is the Serenity by Proboat 36'' this boat comes almost ready to sail - requires a little assembly - a lot easier than the Seawind. Horizon Hobbies/Proboats sell them for $299 and one more to consider is the Vela 1 Meter Tower Hobbies sells them for $329 both include a 2.4 ghz radio and with a little work your are ready to go sailing. They just released a new 18'' RTR sailboat ''Westward'' $149.99 see it at this link: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...at-rtr-PRB3350

Most boats in this category require a few tweaks to get them to their potential, the exception being the Nirvana ll They come ready to go with a radio and in less than 30 min's you can be sailing.

I have a Seawind, Serenity, a Nirvana ll among sailboats. I have had a Fortune 612 and a Vela. All are fun. The Vela needed more fixes than the others. Hope this helps a little.

Boomer

I'm in the process of building a Sea Wind that I just got last week. I would advise anyone to visit the "Sea Wind Resource Center" web site and look under "Articles" and "Sea Wind Keelbox Repair". Since my hull is new and unpainted I could see for myself that the hull material is thin in this area. I plan on performing the same reinforcement method before my hull even gets wet. There are a-lot of fixes for the leaky hatch. I am going to try to make a one piece Silicone foam closed cell seal and use the original hatch. I haven't done this yet so I don't know if I'll be successful. The old rusting rudder shaft problem may be in the past because my keel and rudder shaft are non-magnetic and appear to be stainless steel. They have done away with the vinyl sheath that went over the lead keel bulb. The keel bulb is now nicely painted and stands alone. The rudder shaft is now secured with a thumb screw instead of the allen head set screw. The brass insert in the plastic rudder tiller in now keyed with the plastic to prevwnt slipage that others have experienced.

By the way, it is always a good idea to paint an ABS plastic hull as ABS plastic can be damaged by long term exposure to sunlight.

Regards,
Bill
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

So Boatfisher25, have you come to any conclusions? Let us know.
Boomer