Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Converting model schooner to RC?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Converting model schooner to RC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
mmurray70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting model schooner to RC?

A friend of mine was throwing out a couple of model schooners and I was thinking it would be cool to try and convert it to RC. Not interested in actually controlling sails by rc, just like to be able to drive it around slowly. I know a little about gas boats but nothing about slow speed scale stuff. What kind of power systems could I use for this? Does anybody make a pod style propulsion system for rc? that would make for a real easy conversion. Anybody do anything like this before or is it a waste of time.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 AM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Converting model schooner to RC?

It would help if you posted some photos of the boats showing as much detail as possible including access to the below deck. Some deminsional information would be good to knowas well. First question is are the boats water tight? Guessing the construction is wood, but that is just a quess.

Adding power and steering is not a major issue if there is room for the motor and steering servo and linkage. Sail control is possible, again depending on what you have there. Access to the inside of the hull will be critical to making these modifications.

Could be fun. Look forward to more information.

Boomer