Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

"J" class ( 1930s Amer. Cup ) Plan source ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

"J" class ( 1930s Amer. Cup ) Plan source ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 11:27 PM
mike912e
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "J" class ( 1930s Amer. Cup ) Plan source ?

After looking around the web I believe it would be less expensive for me to build another sailboat . The one and only was the " Ariel " a 36/600 class boat . For a dummy beginner it was a rather good sailer . Anyway, to the point . I'm looking for a source for plans for the 1930s era Americas Cup sail boats . I believe I have the experience to finish one . Plank on frame is not too tough . We have plenty of ponds and lakes in this area and since wind is free, sailing should be very inexpensive . Preferably in the 60 inch and up size . I do have some stainless steel fittings ( from the old Santa Barbara boat supplier ) and can also fabricate what I don't have allready. Any and all help would be appreciated .
Looking at your dialog back and forth in these threads , It appears that your all a pretty decent bunch of guys .

Thanks.
Mike

[email protected]
Old 09-03-2003, 02:44 AM
rcsoar4fun
My Feedback: (12)

Default "J" class ( 1930s Amer. Cup ) Plan source ?

what is the underbody like on the Ariel? I have seen the plans on RCM's site, but their picture is pretty bad.

Kristopher
Old 09-03-2003, 06:18 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default J Boat Class Plans Source

Hi Mike;

Greetings to you from the 'Valley of the Sun'.

I too love the old J Class boats of the 1930s. I found a plans source from the AMYA web site many years ago, and sent away for a set of plans for the L.Francis Herreschoff designed 'Whirlwind', the only J Class double-ender hull design. The Plans source is:

Mr. R Serrao,
650 Ketch Harbour Rd.,
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia
Canada B3V 1K1

The plans are beautifully drawn, at 3/4"= 1', and he has drawings for all 9 of the legendary J Class boats. Why not drop him a line.

Also, check the AMYA site, and see what they have available in the J Class area; I have not visited there for quite some time now. Anyway, I hope this lead is of help to you, good luck, and best regards from sunny and real hot Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:52 PM
mike912e
My Feedback: (4)

Default The " Ariel's " bottom !

Sounds wierd doesn't it ! Oh well, from what I remember she was very round, kindof barrel like . But she sure sailed well . It had to be about 20 years ago . Wish I still had the plans . I'd just double them in size and have at it .

I'll tell you from first hand experience that she would hold an adult's weight when in the water . The way I found out was that she had taken on some water and was circleing so I figured I would just strip down to my shorts and swim out to retrieve her . The water was colder than I thought and by the time I got to her I was exhausted . So I wrapped my arm around the keel and slowly paddled in with the other arm . Made it ,bit only because of the boat .
I do remember that she was very easy to build . Planked with balsa and glassed inside and out . I would definately recommend her for a beginner as she was easy to build and yet fairly easy to rig and sail .

Thanks to all for your help.
Mike