Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Gennaker?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Gennaker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:07 AM
askncan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gennaker?

Hello everyone, iam new here and i have a question.
i am a full scale sailor (Jeanneau 40, dont know how to spell Jeanneau ) and i love to sail with a gennaker on a light sea breeze. Now to the question:
*Can i sew and use a gennaker for a r/c boat using the foresail beam?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:53 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Gennaker?

Yes, it has been done.  
However, when you look at the mess that professional racers, who are on the boat and have a good view, manage when tacking these rigs, you realize why they are uncommon on models.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
GLX

well 2 key issues I can see first hand. One is around furling or unfurling the Gen as you can't really sail your RC boat with that sail up. A all or nothing switch could do that with a similar system then on full size boat but with a close sheet circuit and an end point to stop the furling or unforling. Then it's the question of controlling that sail. there you can look at boats equipped with a genoa but you typically need 2 winch for that alone.. this combined with the unforling system and the normal sheeting systems for your jib and main and you end up with a rather complicated and heavy solution.

Not impossible but you'd want to have a pretty big boat 1.6 or 2m long to justify the weight and the room needed inside the hull.

not the answer you were looking for but there you go... unless someone knows or has seen an innovative way !!!

Good luck.
G
Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Seanachie

Hi,
Try Ramoser Sprinta on you tube. German model with no jib boom and a full genoa jib RC.
For me it's a wow but presently too costly. Would love to know how it works, best of luck Graham