Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

creases in sails

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

creases in sails

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM
mainiac68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default creases in sails

How do I get creases/folds out of my Dacron-polyester sails? I'm now making a sail carrier for the next set but would like to try and save these. They are standard Victor sails for a Soling 1m and less than a year old. Got many folds/creases from carrying in the truck. They probably hurt performance some but mostly look awful. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
RodCarr

Default RE: creases in sails

There is no fool proof way to remove these creases. The dacron acts like sheet metal when it gets creased. The outside of the crease actually stretches and cannot be shrunk back to remove the creases. Reverse folding, or burnishing tools or hair dryers are all ineffective in removing the creases. Taking good care of model yacht sails is something that generally gets little attention, and it is one of the major reasons that folks have to replace their sails more often than the actual wear and tear of sailing on the water would require. So just suffer with the sails as they are, for heavens sake don't go after them with your wife's chothes iron as you'll basically destroy the shape holding capability of the cloth.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 PM
mainiac68

Default RE: creases in sails

Thanks Rod, lesson learned therefor the sail carrier for the next set. The real bad news is that I'm ressurecting a Bahamut AC boat and the sails are in worse shape than the Soling's. Ouch-that's gonna smart.