Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

New sail boat advice

Hi,
    Am looking to get a new boat for the cottage, am thinking of the aquacraft Vella ? Any good, any other suggestions ?
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New sail boat advice

[quote]ORIGINAL: bryston

Hi,
    Am looking to get a new boat for the cottage, am thinking of the aquacraft Vella ? Any good, any other suggestions ?
    Thanks
    [/quote

There are lots of choices out there. If you have a few minutes check out rcgroups.com - find the sailboat section and you will find discussions on about every boat out there including the Vela. rcgroups.com has the most active sailboat forum out there and is a great resource for you.

The Vela is a nice looking boat and if you watch the promotions at Tower Hobbies you can get one a pretty good price. If you read the reports from owners you'll see that the boat has a few issues.
    There have been reports of the deck and hull separating, the reach on the sails is restricted (meaning they don't open all the way) like many boats they come with too much sail and are easily over powered in heavier wind conditions. The rudder is a bit too small, again can be over powered by heavier wind conditions. This was an issue with the Kysoho Seawind as well. The discussion on the Vela at rcgroups.com provides the fixes for these conditions as well as all the details you might like to know before you decide. Aquacraft makes another sailboat which is best left alone.

I had a Vela, returned it but that was due to some manufacturing defects - I have a Seawind - better boat in my opinion - but like many has been discontinued by Kyosho for the forseeable furture.

Here are a few suggestions. First there are kit boats that are fun and not too hard to build. Victor Models @ http://www.victor-model.com/ makes bunch of nice kits all attractively priced as does Tippecanoe Boats @ http://www.tippecanoeboats.com/model-boats

There are boats like the Mirco Magic that are well respected and sail like a 1Meter boat. The Thunder Tiger Victoria is another kit worth your consideration. Joysway produces a boat called the Focus that has recently come on the market - Hobbyking.com sells a number of low priced sailboats that with a little work can yield a decent starter boat. Tower Hobbies sells a bunch of sailboats - some woth considering, others not so much. Blackstar yachts @ http://blackstaryacht.com/ nice boats made in Denver worth a look.

There are many more to consider. Your budget is a factor and transporting and storage can be factors as well. Where are you going to sail the boat. What are the conditions. Those can be factors in the size of the boat you buy. Check out the other forum and you will find just about all the information you seek.

Like many, I have a number of boats, sizes and designs. Enjoy sailing all of them. Have a few favorites of course. RC Sailing is a lot of fun, it is relaxing and can be exciting at the same time. I enjoy solo sailing, group sailing and racing - it is all good! These things make nice displays as well. Good luck in your search!

Got questions - shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help. Posted a few photos of some boats I mentioned to add a little color to the page.
    Included photos: Joysway Forcus, Tippecanoe T37, Victor V 32, Victoria, Monsoon, Micro Magic, Nirvana ll, Fairwind lll, Blackstar 30, Seawind and a Fortune 612

Oh, if you'd like to see my collection, click on boomer1 at the upper left hand corner of this message and it will take you to my gallery here on the forum.
    Boomer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36083.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	1893159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16796.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	1893160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr40411.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1893161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ng99734.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	1893162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xi61185.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	1893163  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fw28202.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	1893164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om32616.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	1893165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tp46069.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	1893166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot48830.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	1893167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr46267.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	1893168  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jv14795.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	1893169