Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Electronics

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Electronics

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:44 AM
awarnes10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electronics

I am planning on building a small rc sailboat around 300mm long. I have looked online but am unable to find any electronics diagrams for the reciever, servos and battery as to how to wire them and what is needed in the way of control over them. Also what servos would you reccomend. I am looking for them to be very cheap yet last for a while.
Ashley
Old 08-25-2013, 01:33 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Nobody has yet found a need for a diagram for a 2 channel setup.
If you stick to one manufacturer for your parts, the battery will plug into a switch harness and almost nowhere else because of the shape of the plug and socket. The switch harness or the battery will plug into a hole in the RX usually marked "B". The TX will have sticks probably marked with channel numbers, and the RX will have channels similarly numbered, that the other bits plug into. It is rather simpler than Lego(TM), there being less choices.
Places like Servo Shop, Component Shop and Howes have a good range of servos, including the micro types that will be OK for your rudder and whatever you choose for sail control. No clues there, don't know what space you have, what weight you can stand, or how much sail you want to handle in what conditions.

Last edited by mfr02; 08-26-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: layout
Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 AM
GLX

look at the Micro Magic sites they'll have plenty of information re the setup - don't have a site at hand right now but google it and you'll find a few. MM class is quite active in the UK and they have a good website too. MM are 500mm long so you can use the same electronics.

Go light - use a standard size servo for the winch which you'll use with an arm for the sheeting system and use a micro servo for the rudder. Use the smallest rx you can find that will work with your Tx and the whole system should be powered in 6v - you can find battery packs of 4 AAA size in 800mah which should be plenty or use a 2s 7.4v 800mah or lower lipo battery coupled to a bec system to reduce the voltage to 6v.

Hope this will help

G
Old 08-26-2013, 03:07 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Excellent practical advice. 4 rechargeable cells will give 4.8 volts, but should be perfectly OK. In a small boat, 4 of AAA is possibly better, maybe 5 to give 6 volts. If going the LiPo route, consider 1S plus a step up voltage regulator. Nowadays cheap enough and light enough to be worth considering. They provide a regulated 5 volts from the single cell 3.7.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 AM
KIWINB

I've just done a basic connection diagram for 2 ch radios. Best to use a 2 stick radio 2 or 4 channel, with the throttle full throw and a ratchet, not a centering spring. Don't use a car radio with the steering wheel on it.
I see you are thinking of a 300mm boat, these are Footy's. Have a look at Hobbyking for 9 to 20g servos , these will be powerful enough for the sails and rudder for this size boat and cost about $5.00 each max.
Plenty of plans on line (Search Footy plans), quick and easy builds from thin balsa. Sails from a plastic shopping bag, mast 1/14" dowel.
There is a kit available from New Zealand based on a 1.5 liter plastic drink bottle. Search for bottle boat.

Welcome to the madness.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Typical 2 ch Rx connections.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1914438