Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Could use suggestions for a radio for my sailboat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Could use suggestions for a radio for my sailboat

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:39 PM
darticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could use suggestions for a radio for my sailboat

My radio not really working good. Could use a radio with two channels 2 servos and a receiver. Looking for a cheaper one for this one boat about 24 inches. Crystal is fine! Are digital a better deal? I have a spektrum radio and could add a spektrum receiver from a plane to the sailboat. I don't think it matters plane or boat. Any cheaper radios out here or on ebay anyone can suggest? Thanks Ron
Old 07-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Scaleman3

Go to E-Bay, there are lots of radios to choose from, you only need a 2 ch, Futaba Attack 2DR is great. Hobbyking has a couple of surface radios, but be careful that they come from the US warehouse and are mode 2. I just bought a Futaba Attack with everything for a boat, radio, receiver, and servos for $35.00 from E-bay.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:46 AM
darticus

Originally Posted by Scaleman3
Go to E-Bay, there are lots of radios to choose from, you only need a 2 ch, Futaba Attack 2DR is great. Hobbyking has a couple of surface radios, but be careful that they come from the US warehouse and are mode 2. I just bought a Futaba Attack with everything for a boat, radio, receiver, and servos for $35.00 from E-bay.
Thanks very much! Will go and check it out. Ron
Old 07-20-2017, 12:25 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

For crystal based radios, in case of your channel being occupied, a spare set for a different channel will be needed. This can increase the crystal set price above a 2G4 set.
The low end hobbyking/flysky 4 channel sets will probably be cheaper than 2 channel stick radios. Just be careful of postage. HK T4A V2 £25 delivered with a careful selection of warehouse and postage option.
Digital (2G4) sets are much less liable to interference and don't have a long aerial to either receive or cause damage.
While a lot of kit makers claim that their sailboats can use standard servos for sail control, don't bother. If there is enough wind to make the boat go properly, the servo will not hold, if there isn't enough wind, it is hardly worth being there. Go for a high torque version or a small drum winch.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:02 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I have an Attack 4 channel 75MHz surface radio. I use an extra channel for jib trim but it's not necessary. Two stick radios for sailboats are better than pistol grip radios.