Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

aqua craft paradise 26" boat bulb weight question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

aqua craft paradise 26" boat bulb weight question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:20 PM
neon96ny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aqua craft paradise 26" boat bulb weight question

hello, newbie here just starting out with a small 26" aquacraft paradise. i've read that modifying the bulb would help stabilized the boat a bit on stronger wind. i've read the recommended weight to be around 700g but i can't find a finished bulb for sale around that weight. i noticed an aquacraft weighted bulb for a vela (1 m boat) weighing 1410g so double the size.. would that work for my boat? any ideas where i an get a ballast/bulb weighing around 700g?

thank you.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:42 PM
AEK42

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not try to redesign the boaat.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Increasing the weight will make the hull sit lower in the water. This might or might not help. It will also increase the force that the fin has to live through, partly because of the extra weight but also because of the increased force from the stronger wind. A heavier than standard weight on the end of a long lever risks breaking the lever.
When I needed a custom weight I did it what was then the normal way - I learned about casting lead.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Feldmarshal1

Red face Added weight

I recently picked up a Paradise and sailed it in pretty heavy wind. I found that it really loved to heal over, so I added 170 grams by using two long tire weights hammered straight and then strapped on with velcro.

While not the ideal way to do it, it worked and the boats still moved with good speed. The law of deminishing returns apply's here, so don't add to much weight to the keel.

The other mod I'm doing is increasing the rudder size which should help in heavy winds.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Pubtym

Originally Posted by neon96ny
hello, newbie here just starting out with a small 26" aquacraft paradise. i've read that modifying the bulb would help stabilized the boat a bit on stronger wind. i've read the recommended weight to be around 700g but i can't find a finished bulb for sale around that weight. i noticed an aquacraft weighted bulb for a vela (1 m boat) weighing 1410g so double the size.. would that work for my boat? any ideas where i an get a ballast/bulb weighing around 700g?

thank you.
I added 6 ounces of tire balance weights fastened around the bulb mast with tie wraps. Sails fine now. Had to replace rudder servo as it got wet from leaking rudder post hole. Added marine grease to shaft and small neoprene washers to rudder shaft on bottom where it enters hull and top where the thumb screw tightens. No leaks now.