RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

New sailboat suggestion

Old 09-10-2017, 05:11 PM
bryston

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New sailboat suggestion

hi, am looking to get RTR salilboat for 400$ max, I have one from HK angel but I can't make it sail right, need something better, any suggestion?
thanks
Old 09-10-2017, 08:48 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the HK Monsson's and it is fun to sit back in a comfy chair, cold drink, watch it sail up and down the pond. Just easy and relaxing. No idea if I am sailing it correctly or not, it goes well and when the wind comes up, I have done the submarine as the wind blew the nose under water. I learned I was using WAY to much sail going down wind. Now I just easy it out a bit and away she goes. I am still learning how to get the most out of it. My tack's are not that great, but I get it to go up wind pretty well.

What is your boat doing or not doing? When you say "sail right" What is wrong? Is it leaning over to far, not holding the heading? Turns into the wind or turns away from the wind?

Buzz.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:19 AM
mfr02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is reasonably well spoken of on other forums, with the usual caveat of it needing one or two minor improvements.
All model sailboats need setting up correctly, it is surprising how many people think that the sails are ornaments rather than the drive unit, and that quite small adjustments affecting the shape of the sails can make a huge difference to performance.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:04 AM
bryston

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any link to where I can read ?
thanks
Old 09-11-2017, 04:57 AM
mfr02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I found my info on rcgroups, but previous attempts to put links to "rival" forums from here have ended with the reply being wiped.
There is plenty of information regarding setting up sails on the internet, google for "IOM sail setup tuning". Your boat has enough in common for the information to apply. Just remember that sails are really wings that generate lift, except that a sail points due up, and the "lift" is sideways. They need a nice smooth curve without wrinkles to give a proper aerofoil shape, and small changes can make big differences.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:18 AM
rgburrill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have found several on craigslist at times. Someone buys one or gets on as a gift and has no interest in learning how to use it.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Justaddwata

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02 View Post
I found my info on rcgroups, but previous attempts to put links to "rival" forums from here have ended with the reply being wiped.
I will have a chat with the moderator about it. He is usually fine with links that help answer a question. This site unfortunately was pushing certain rules about linking competitive forums but things have quietened down some since then!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 PM
Justaddwata

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
I have found several on craigslist at times. Someone buys one or gets on as a gift and has no interest in learning how to use it.
Just depends on what is available in the local market but buying used can land you a great boat - though often it will also mean additional fine tuning.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:54 AM
mfr02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My second hand Victoria has given years of service, but did need a lot of re-rigging which involved me reading the instructions. Something that the previous owner either hadn't done or hadn't understood. This probably applies to any yacht, new, second hand, RTS or otherwise.

Much discussion of the Monsoon here - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ats-Monsoon900 - the mods probably apply to most RTS yachts, including yours. Lets see if that link gets past the mods.

Last edited by mfr02; 09-17-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:00 PM
AEK42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Goto the AMYA website and look for help. American Model Yacht Association is the hub of all things RC sailing. The Victoria Class site has instruction for any boat.

Alan

Search this Thread