RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Affinity RG65 ou Dragon Force 65

Old 10-24-2017, 05:46 AM
Fred-mtl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Affinity RG65 or Dragon Force 65

I am the owner of a replica of a Volvo Ocean Race, I am looking for a second boat. I saw two interesting yachts, the Hobbyking Affinity RG65 and the Joysway Dragon Force 65.

Yes the prices are very low, but my goal is not to compete (there are not or very few in Montreal, Quebec, Canada) but to make development ex: modifications of the sails, modifications of the weight, addition of foil at the rudder, etc. Of course, the basic electronics of these boats would be changed to something more powerful (currently I have a futaba r617f8 as a receiver, a remote control futaba t6ex, servo futaba s5801 and a controller which I do not remember of the model but it is surely a futaba).

I would like to know what you think about these boats (I read some good comments) from the point of view of development and, for those who have one of these boats, are they easily disassembled (the boat that I currently can be carried in a musical keyboard carrying bag and it can be assembled and disassembled in 5 minutes chrono).

Maybe you have other suggestion for 300$ budget for something to develop (I do not have enough experience to build one).

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1688.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2242297  

Last edited by Fred-mtl; 10-24-2017 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Error
Old 11-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Feldmarshal1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Like your Volvo ocean racer! Just actually got into the whole ocean racing stuff and bought a "challenger 800" which seems to be modeled after the VOC boats.

I'll response to your asking about the affinity. Great for the money! Easy setup and transportation due to size. With good wind it will take off like a rocket and still turn reasonably well. You just really need to set up the sails properly for the wind conditions after that adjustments are a breeze. I didn't modify anything because it just didn't need it.

I live in Alabama and there are no sailing clubs around my area, so I'm not racing, but when it comes to fun on the water this boat got me to buy 4 more it was that good/fun. I now own a proboat serenty, aquacraft paradise, shunbo ocean star sailor and sea lite. All are very different so I have different challenges with each. I hope to get the 800 together before the end of the year, it's a cool looking boat.

I looked at value for the money with my fleet and find the affinity to be well worth it.

feldmarshal1