Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Can i make this huge schooner model a remote control?

RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Can i make this huge schooner model a remote control?

Old 02-05-2018, 06:47 PM
BlakeVegas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Can i make this huge schooner model a remote control?

I have a 78" long by 74" tall model schooner ship. Its completly made of wood. Is it possible to make it r/c? is there like a keel i can put on the bottom or something with a engine in it or something? Do i need to glass the hull? Any suggestions or has anyone done this type of thing before?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20171226_230738.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2253646  
Old 02-06-2018, 01:43 AM
mfr02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Solid wood or hollow? If solid, no chance, if hollow, maybe, depending on how much damage is acceptable doing the modifications needed for fitting radio control.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 AM
rgburrill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BlakeVegas, do a search here and the other RC forum which shall go unnamed for Emma C Berry and America. They are around half the size but are also all wood schooners and are RC. There are several build threads. Some put fin keels on them while some do not. I'm not putting one on my Emma. I'm using about 5 pounds (or more) of buckshot in the bottom of the hull for ballast. Some fiberglass the hull, some do not - I'm not. There are various methods of controlling the sails.
One guy has even done the USS Constitution and I think it might even be that big. The other site seems to have a lot more info.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:56 PM
BlakeVegas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Its hollow. It really doesn't need to be sail driven ill put a little engine on it if need be. I really just want it to putt around. So i should just weight it and drill a hole for prop shaft and rudder? Any ideas on amount of weight. Would a keel be easier or no. And ill look up who you where talking about thank you much appreciated guys
Old 02-07-2018, 02:20 AM
mfr02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the sails are left on, if the air is moving, they will power the boat and it will need to be arranged as a sailboat. If enough internal heavy ballast can be fitted, on a boat that size, a fin might not be needed. Something to do with scaling factors of wind strength and sail area. If motorized, it will need enough motor to overcome the sails.
If a weighted fin is needed (to help cope with heavier weather) a lot of thought needs to be put into mounting it to spread the loads, which will be considerable. You can't just stick a fin to the bottom of the hull.
Have a look for a "scale sail" forum, you will likely find a lot of similar examples.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:41 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Something that size is going to start running up the amount of weight (lead) used. From the standpoint of simply being able to transport, carry and handle it on dry ground, you may want to make sure any keel weight is removable.

Just for comparison, the J class boats run between 80-110 inches long and weigh 80 to 100 pounds or more. Most of that weight is lead in the bottom.