Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Can i make this huge schooner model a remote control?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Can i make this huge schooner model a remote control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 06:47 PM
BlakeVegas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i make this huge schooner model a remote control?

I have a 78" long by 74" tall model schooner ship. Its completly made of wood. Is it possible to make it r/c? is there like a keel i can put on the bottom or something with a engine in it or something? Do i need to glass the hull? Any suggestions or has anyone done this type of thing before?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20171226_230738.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2253646  
Old 02-06-2018, 01:43 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Solid wood or hollow? If solid, no chance, if hollow, maybe, depending on how much damage is acceptable doing the modifications needed for fitting radio control.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

BlakeVegas, do a search here and the other RC forum which shall go unnamed for Emma C Berry and America. They are around half the size but are also all wood schooners and are RC. There are several build threads. Some put fin keels on them while some do not. I'm not putting one on my Emma. I'm using about 5 pounds (or more) of buckshot in the bottom of the hull for ballast. Some fiberglass the hull, some do not - I'm not. There are various methods of controlling the sails.
One guy has even done the USS Constitution and I think it might even be that big. The other site seems to have a lot more info.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:56 PM
BlakeVegas

Its hollow. It really doesn't need to be sail driven ill put a little engine on it if need be. I really just want it to putt around. So i should just weight it and drill a hole for prop shaft and rudder? Any ideas on amount of weight. Would a keel be easier or no. And ill look up who you where talking about thank you much appreciated guys
Old 02-07-2018, 02:20 AM
mfr02

If the sails are left on, if the air is moving, they will power the boat and it will need to be arranged as a sailboat. If enough internal heavy ballast can be fitted, on a boat that size, a fin might not be needed. Something to do with scaling factors of wind strength and sail area. If motorized, it will need enough motor to overcome the sails.
If a weighted fin is needed (to help cope with heavier weather) a lot of thought needs to be put into mounting it to spread the loads, which will be considerable. You can't just stick a fin to the bottom of the hull.
Have a look for a "scale sail" forum, you will likely find a lot of similar examples.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:41 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something that size is going to start running up the amount of weight (lead) used. From the standpoint of simply being able to transport, carry and handle it on dry ground, you may want to make sure any keel weight is removable.

Just for comparison, the J class boats run between 80-110 inches long and weigh 80 to 100 pounds or more. Most of that weight is lead in the bottom.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:49 PM
John Schall

Default Schooner, R/C

I built a scratch built R/C schooner about 2 yrs ago. I didn't want a deep keel because the only available place to sail is rather weedy, and a deep keel would catch weeds. I looked around till I found a ship to model. It was Wawona, a west coast lumber hauler. I didn't like wawonas hull shape, so I used the below waterline hull of Cutty Sark with a few changes. The result is a hull about 37 in long, with a 12 in bowsprit and three 20in masts. Draft is about 3in, displacement about 8lbs, beam about 8in. The hull is made of 0.07in produce crate wood, fiberglassed. Ballast is a solid lead plug made to fit. It sails rather well, but with two defeciencys. One is that it does not turn well despite a large rudder, so I have plans to enlarge it more. The other is that I wish I had made the masts 3in taller, for more sail area. She needs a good 12ft to turn about and at least a 10 knot wind. But, she points pretty well and gets a lot of attention and is fun to sail.

Some years ago, I tried fiberglassing an existing hull. The hull was made of fiberboard, the same stuff clipboards used to be made of. Not very waterproof. Water got to the fiberboard in spite of the fiberglass and it swelled up and split the fiberglass at the seams. Should have just kept it as a display model. I eventually scrapped it, there was no saving it. My point is that what the hull is made of is of vital importance. The produce crate wood works because it is real hardwood, not glorified reinforced cardboard. If you fiberglass your boat, you must strip off any existing finish down to bare wood so that the resin can soak in good for good adherence. Make the fiberglass good and thick so it won't crack. Regardless of what you do on the outside, polyurethane the h.. out of the inside of the entire hull, esp the bilges. The right amount of lead shot for ballast will probably work, but just in case, line the hull with saran wrap in case it just is not sufficient and you have to go to an add on deep keel. Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:04 AM
kzimmerman

I would bet that there is absolutely no need for glassing. You need to see what is inside the hull. Is there a deck joint? Cabins you may be able to get off? Does it sound hollow if you tap on it? If it is hallow, you will need to get access for radio gear and sheets. If it’s solid, forget it. A lot of schooners had a centerboard, it’s not difficult to pour something out of lead so you can have a centerboard and ballast.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:19 PM
mfr02

This is a rather old thread now. I would hope that if it had been practicable, it would have been started, If so, it would have been nice to see some of the progress. If not, again, it would be nice to know.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:20 AM
kzimmerman

I really need to check date stamps........
Old 10-11-2019, 01:21 AM
mfr02

Originally Posted by kzimmerman
I really need to check date stamps........
............even so, just putting resin on a non-porous surface rarely does much good. It needs to have glass cloth to give it strength. Resin on a porous surface, on the other hand, does seem to work. Balsa boats benefit a lot, the ability of the balsa fibres to soak liquid up seems to provide the fibre element that is needed. It needs to be part of the surface structure rather than something hanging on to the surface.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:00 PM
[email protected]

Default 78"x74" tall wood model schooner ship

Blake, do you still have the tall wood model schooner ship? My husband's was badly damaged in last military move and he's heartbroken, so I wanted to see if you'd want to sell yours? Thanks, -Christina
Old 06-12-2021, 04:01 PM
[email protected]

Blake, do you still have the tall wood model schooner ship? My husband's was badly damaged in last military move and he's heartbroken, so I wanted to see if you'd want to sell yours? Thanks, -Christina