Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Newb with a question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Newb with a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:37 PM
Charles Vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with a question

I'm thinking about getting a Proboat Ragazza 1. I have several RC speedboats and can sail a Hobie catamaran but I'm wondering what kind of speeds would I be looking at under normal sailing conditions with this boat? Thanks for your time...
Old 02-03-2019, 07:23 PM
AEK42

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charles,
Monohull RC sailboats make from 0 to 10 knots, so you will not be dazzled. Hull length is small, which limits the displacement hull speed. With large bulb keels, the boats will not plane. They will not capsize either, but knock-down winds will put rails under. It is important to seal deck openings to prevent boat filling and sinking (extremely rare). Boats like that are usually low quality and require minor fixes to operate properly. To race boats, you would need to determine the class boat that is sailed by your local group and purchase that. Used boats would probably be available, and the group would help with instruction, and more important, with a fun experience.

Look for other web sites for information, as this one is not used much.
Alan
Old 02-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Charles Vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AEK42
Charles,
Monohull RC sailboats make from 0 to 10 knots, so you will not be dazzled. Hull length is small, which limits the displacement hull speed. With large bulb keels, the boats will not plane. They will not capsize either, but knock-down winds will put rails under. It is important to seal deck openings to prevent boat filling and sinking (extremely rare). Boats like that are usually low quality and require minor fixes to operate properly. To race boats, you would need to determine the class boat that is sailed by your local group and purchase that. Used boats would probably be available, and the group would help with instruction, and more important, with a fun experience.

Look for other web sites for information, as this one is not used much.
Alan
Thanks Alan, ten knots actually sounds quite fast to me for that type of boat. And thanks for the tip about sealing deck openings, my Blackjack and Shockwave brushless boats are pretty well sealed so that's not something I would've thought of.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:18 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

When taking my boats for a walk, it is usually a gentle walk. Very occasionally, a brisk walk, but having a radio means that I can circle the boat while I catch up with it. Or talk to a passer-by. A yacht invites people to be interested. The interest is not the speed of the boat, but sailing it to get the best out of it.
Like AEK42 says, look for a local club and see if what they sail interests you, and decide if you want to race and endure the hassle, or sail for pleasure.
The Regazza is a very nice ARTR one metre boat with good performance that can cause you to break into a trot to keep up with it with the right wind and water conditions. There are many such available on the market at quite low prices, but all need quite a bit of care and attention to make them into reliable sailers. Their performance, in the right conditions, shows well against "real" racers like IOM boats. The big difference is that an IOM has 3 sail sets to cater for different wind, everything from "I think the air is moving" to "what am I doing here?", and they are generally designed with easy rig changes in mind and can be transported de-rigged. The ARTR boats are generally designed to be permanently rigged, having the room in your vehicle to carry one ready rigged can be a condsideration.. From a club, a second hand IOM can often be got for a fraction of the cost of a new one, and will perform in a much wider range of conditions than a single rig one meter boat.

Last edited by mfr02; 02-04-2019 at 02:33 AM. Reason: re-read the OP