Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Canterbury J Boats

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Canterbury J Boats

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 05:49 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Canterbury J Boats

Anyone here sailing these?

Old 12-15-2018, 03:28 AM
Appowner
Banned

Wow! No CJ enthusiasts? You guys don't know what you're missing.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:24 AM
Al Stein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several years ago I wanted to build some boats to half the current size J class boats (the J boats being 1/16 scale)... so their 1/32 size would have put them in the almost the same length as the Canterburys -- then life got in the way!

It would still be fun to sail them but I was also discouraged by how many popular smaller sailboat classes the AMYA recognizes... nothing else as attractive, mind you, but so much competition. If I/we/somebody wanted to pursue that, I wonder what would be more accepted, a 48" fixed length (which, of course, would allow the Canterbury boats to be welcome members and might even up the design differences some) or a 1/32 scale (which would probably produce a rather unbalanced distribution of subjects, dominated by Ranger, I imagine, but that scale would make for a 45" length, eliminating the existing CJ boats... I don't think that would be very smart, but not having thought things through it was what I was considering at the time).

Aim High!
EC12 106

Last edited by Al Stein; 01-23-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 AM
Appowner
Banned

The full size 'J's range in size from the 90's to 120 feet and more. The CJ is sort of a one design class as opposed to the 'J' which has a selection of a dozen or more hulls. The CJ hull I believe is modeled after the full size Ranger which has been referred to as a Super 'J'. It is indeed 1/32 at 48 inches as the Ranger is over 135 feet in length.

The thing I like about the CJ is the way it sails. It has a "Presence" on the water. Stately and graceful. And it's big enough and heavy enough where it doesn't sail around like a toy.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:29 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
The full size 'J's range in size from the 90's to 120 feet and more. The CJ is sort of a one design class as opposed to the 'J' which has a selection of a dozen or more hulls. The CJ hull I believe is modeled after the full size Ranger which has been referred to as a Super 'J'. It is indeed 1/32 at 48 inches as the Ranger is over 135 feet in length.

The thing I like about the CJ is the way it sails. It has a "Presence" on the water. Stately and graceful. And it's big enough and heavy enough where it doesn't sail around like a toy.
Don't forget "fast". One of my club members picked one up a couple of years back. Might have been a Canterbury, might be a Nottingham, very little external difference. He has sold his IOM, preferring to sail, as he puts it, "the good looking boat". Same basic power unit, nicer shape under the water. The heavier weight means slower accelleration, the nicer shape with much less drag makes up for that. And if there is any weed about, it slides past it rather than hooking to it.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Appowner
Banned

Yes, they can get up and scoot when the need arises. The Nottingham is slightly different hull construction. They also have an offering around 60 inches long. The company web site is: Nottingham They are the official source of class legal (48") CJ hulls in the UK. The American source is a Mr Hans Berger and his contact info and prices can be found here: Hans Berger Hans is a great guy and will deliver to you anything from a bare hull to a turn key boat. Like everything, it just takes money.

The class was actually started in Australia an is quite popular down there. In the US the largest collections are found of course on the west coast. But there's a couple of groups in Texas and more smaller groups and individuals popping up all over.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:21 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The class was actually started in Australia
The guys around Christchurch in the Canterbury region of New Zealand might query that.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:42 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by mfr02
The guys around Christchurch in the Canterbury region of New Zealand might query that.
Thought I corrected that? You're right, it started in New Zealand. But they're popular in Australia too.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Al Stein

Originally Posted by Appowner
...Like everything, it just takes money.
Actually, I just saw the price for the first time and I'm pleased... hull and rudder at $145US. In context of my EC12, whose hull apparently cost $49 in the early 1970s, the current CJ price doesn't sound too bad to me.

I like to build (including building planked hulls), so a more open class appeals to me -- that and the shear size and weight of the J-class boats is what made me think of a class like any J boat at 1/32 scale, including allowing the 1930s conversion boats and the new ones -- Hanuman, Lionheart, Topaz, and Svea... if the plans are available. (Even looking at the original J-boats I was only able to collect all but one of the lines plans.)

Anyhow, there are some definite issues with the idea of yet another new class, but it sure would be great to see a variety of semi-scale boats all complying to the same rule

Aim High!
EC12 106

Last edited by Al Stein; 02-10-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:35 AM
Appowner
Banned

The CJ is a recognized class in AMYA. They put it under the "J" group. As for the J, you can get laser cut frames for the 1/16 size. I don't recall the company or just how many boats they offer but they have quite a few. I think they also claim they'll cut to any scale. So you could probably get a good start there.

Wish I could recall the company and their web site but I probably deleted it when cancer changed my modeling capabilities and priorities.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:59 PM
jetfueltypeA

thread post above for laser cut frames for the "J" sailboat are from Modelers Worksop are are located in Montreal Canada
I'am sure you will find it informative