Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Laser vs entry conventional boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Laser vs entry conventional boat

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 03:30 PM
captpjb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser vs entry conventional boat

Does any one have any comments about the RC Laser particularily as compared to an entry level Nirvana, Vitoria or Thunder. Ease of sailing, performance etc I am interested is an almost ready to sail boat not building.
Thanks in advance
Peter
Old 11-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Bill McW

Default RE: Laser vs entry conventional boat

You will love the Laser.
It is without a doubt, the best ready-to-sail boat on the market.
It is very simple to rig (no shrouds) and it sails very well. There are (3) different sail sizes available.
The controls, servos and accessories are also top notch.
There have been some critricisms of the keel trunk's integrity, but the Lasers I've been around were without any problems whatsoever.
You do know that it is a large boat and that you lay it on it's side when you are not sailing it?
Check out Great Basin Model Yachts <www.gbmy.com >. They have the Laser as well as all kinds of supplies specific to RC sailboats.

Bill
Old 11-24-2003, 08:52 AM
RobStagis

If you know how to sail, then I would also recommend the Laser highly and without reservation. BUT (there's always a but) if you don't know how to sail, you could run into what we see at our club. People are drawn to the Laser cuz of its simplicity, and it IS simple to set up and maintain. But once in the water, it's a very high-performance boat. It'll plane, it'll get people on shore saying "Holy c**p!!! Look at that thing go!!) But it requires that you concentrate. An A-rigged Laser will keep up with an EC12, but the EC12 sailor will be relaxed and joking with buddies whilst the Laser sailor will have a white-knuckle grip on his radio and be all concentration........

With that said, I pretty regularly, when the urge hits me, go sailing with my Dad's Laser cuz it's SO easy to set up and hit the pond with. I've had a Vic and Fairwind, and they're boats that are highly responsive to good tuning, sail well, and have active classes. They're simple to build, can go in the car fully rigged, and are WAY fun to sail against others. They're both a little easier to sail than the Laser.....my opinion only, of course.

My druthers? I'd rather have a Laser than the other two.....it's a keeper. Get everything you can afford - an A-rig is more useful than the carrying bag, eh?
Old 11-24-2003, 09:02 AM
Bill McW

I will likely order a Laser soon, but I see no reason to include the A-Rig.
The major reason I want a Laser is the wind where I sail is ofter more than 15mph and seldom (very seldom) less than 10mph.
I was thinking about the Storm Sail (C-Rig).
That way, I could sail when I want to-not when the wind permits.

Bill
Old 11-24-2003, 01:47 PM
captpjb

Decided to get a Sanibel as a compromise, up from the Nirvana down from the Laser although seeing some of the above positive posts on the Laser maybe I should have stayed with that choice! Mind you there is a $150 extra premium for the Laser which is 50% more than the total cost of the Sanibel.

It arrives this week so will post again once I get it sailing as I have not seen any posts from Sanibel owners on here.

Thanks for all the input.
Peter
Old 11-24-2003, 10:49 PM
Bill McW

I think you will like the Sanibel.
I'm uncertain if you would have been equally pleased with the Nirvana. I have one-they are OK for an entry level boat, but they require total modification of the electrics soon after you get it.
Sloops are really adjustable and respond better when pointing to weather.
Please tell me how you like it after you have had it out.
The Laser is an expensive boat. I thought I was spending a lot when I pumped $450 into the Seawind construction.
But, I have a beautiful looking as well as sailing boat as the product of my investment.
The portability and strength of the Laser is what holds my interest.
The "boat-in-a-bag" option is great for my plans. So is the storm rig. I live where it is constantly windy. You expect 20mph days around here-gusts up to 25mph are not uncommon.
A simple-rigged, out of the bag, high wind rc sailboat that is very well constructed.
I'm still interested. But I am not a rich man.

Bill
Old 11-24-2003, 11:05 PM
alex909

Where did you find the Sanibel? I saw one in Central Park (I asked the guy what it was and he said it was a Sanibel but that he got it as a gift) and it looks like a really nice boat. Thanks for the info!

Alex
Old 11-25-2003, 08:11 AM
captpjb

Alex
I got it from Horizonhobby.com. very efficient service it arrived yesterday however with the holidays and family commitments probably will not get it up and running until next week.

Peter