Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Ideal Wind for a Star 30"

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Ideal Wind for a Star 30"

Old 11-24-2003, 02:51 AM
JW2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideal Wind for a Star 30"

I have almost completed the construction of my Dumas Star. (30) Can anyone tell me the ideal wind speed for this boat? I totally new at this (RC boating that is, I have sailed big boats for many years) and I don't have a clue as to the best wind speed.
Thanks in advance!
J
Old 11-24-2003, 08:42 AM
RobStagis

Default RE: Ideal Wind for a Star 30"

Heh - we dig out the Star 45's (really heavy Dumas kits) when the wind is UP...like nutty UP - 15 mph plus. But sailing a 30", especially for the first time, if you're alone, would be especially nice if you had 10mph or less, blowing on shore. Not less than about 5mph, though...smaller boats are becalmed easily, and a Star won't 'paddle' back on its rudder. So, 5-10 mph would be cool. If you're sure of your waterproofing and radio installation, it really doesn't matter, as long as you have enough breeze to sail back or an onshore breeze to drift back (*sigh* experience).
Old 11-25-2003, 08:58 PM
JW2000

Default RE: Ideal Wind for a Star 30"

Thanks for the info. I live in the tropics and the trades blow almost year around so 7 to 12 kts. is common. I'm building her as waterproof as I can make her. Recovery should not be a problem.... The water is clear and 88 F. (and I can swim fast!)
Thanks again,
J
PS. To bad there are not more participants on this forum!