Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Share electrics with R/C plane?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Share electrics with R/C plane?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 04:27 PM
dmwierz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Share electrics with R/C plane?

Greetings. I have a 27 acre pond directly behind my house and the idea of spending lazy summer days sailing an R/C sailboat out here appeals to me. I have read about the Kyosho Seawind and the Megatech Nirvana, and have yet to decide on which one I will get. My specific question directed to this forum however, is regarding that I am also in the market for an R/C aircraft for my 11 year old and I, and I'd like to save a bit of money by sharing the transmitter between the boat and the plane.

Right now, we're leaning toward the Hobbico NexStar ([link=http://www.hobbiconexstar.com]NexStar Home Page[/link]), and I was wondering if the radio that comes with the NexStar can also be used for an R/C sailboat. If so, how would I do this? I realize I'd need to buy the Nirvana without the radio, but I believe Tower Hobby has a combo they sell this way.

Also, my kid got a Megatech SkyVector ([link=http://www.megatech.com/product_detail_aircraft.php?ID=9930]SkyVector Home Page[/link]) foamie R/C airplane from his Uncle for Christmas. It has a 2 channel 27 MHz radio with it. Any chance the transmitter from the SkyVector would work with the Nirvana?

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:10 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Share electrics with R/C plane?

dmwierz,
The 'quick-n-dirty' answer is no, the transmitter shouldn't be shared by aircraft and surface models. The longer answer is because of the likelyhood of causing destructive interference. If you loose control of a boat there's really not a lot that can happen to it. It may disapear into the sunset, go dead in the middle of the lake, or just go 'nuts'. But the likelyhood of it being destroyed is fairly low. On the other hand, loosing control of an aircraft is an almost sure way to cause damage and probably complete destruction. So, the two types of models, surface and air, are put on different bands to reduce the possibility of interference.

There's another 'but', though. Some of the very 'high-end' radio systems allow you to change 'bands' so that they can be used as both surface and air controlers. All I can say about those is that you'd better sit down before looking at their price, and NEVER tell her how much you had to pay for it! Most boat models only require a two channel radio system, and they are quite cheap now (look for the specials). You would really be much better off going that route than by mixing surface and air frequencies...
- Doc
Old 01-04-2004, 05:30 PM
ec12-1582

I've got to agree with LtDoc. But, it may not be quite as expenseive as you think. A 75mhz radio for a two channel boat (Nirvana, etc) can easily be had for around new $50. retail.

Futaba 2ER or JR Beat Gear come to mind. If your willing to buy used, these are on ebay all the time and run about $25 with servos and reciever. If the boat will ever compete, you'll need to be on a surface frequency anyway as both AMYA and AMPBA (sanctioning bodies for RC sailing or RC powerboats) mandate it.

As to flying R/C. LTDoc is dead on. Don't risk losing control of the aicraft because some one nearby might be on 27 or 75mhz(surface)(Truck, car, or boat) you might not know until you've lost the plane.

I would highly recommend that you contact a local AMA R/C Club for training (instructor) on RC flying . It's not as easy as all the packaging on the model makes it out to be. If' you've never done R/C flying, your most likey to crash, ruin your aircraft and demoralize your child. An instructor is vital on R/C aircraft.

If your going to let him into RC, especially planes do it right. Follow the rules, (Frequency assignents, fly at approved locations {insured} and get an instructor.(AMA Qualified)

You'll actually save a lot of money this route by doing it right. (less repairs). Keep in mind, that R/C airplanes can easily do 40 to 60 miles an hours. Loss of control, is a serious event and can be not only expensive, but extremely hazardous to anyone on the ground.

Be Safe!!!

Until your ready to invest in highend band switchable radios {$350) or more, plus the RF modules($75+), don't try it. Get a cheap 2 channel surface for the boat, and an inexpensive Air 4-channel (72mhz) radio for the plane. (Total of maybe $175 total at a hobby shop).

Boating is easy, but flying NEEDS AN INSTRUCTOR>>>

You and your son wil enjoy the hobby, much more by following this advice!!!

Chris
Old 01-04-2004, 06:00 PM
dmwierz

Thanks to you both for good advice. I've flown R/C aircraft (25+ years ago) before, but he hasn't. His megatech SkyVector will be his first attempt. We'll spend some time tuning up on RealFlight G2 before heading outside. too much snow, too much wind and too cold right now. Much warmer flying on our PC.

Onward.

Dennis