Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

The perfect pond?

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

The perfect pond?

Old 01-08-2004, 09:26 AM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The perfect pond?

We (Paderewski Model Yacht Club AMYA Club 101 in Plainville, CT) have a very nice pond, all things considered. I think it's 7 acres, has good parking, access ALL the way around, good relations with the pondside inhabitants (about 25 houses), and easily-accessible launching areas, both shallow (EC12) and deep. Yeah, I'd like to do some deforestation for better breezes, but that's frowned upon.

I thought we had it good, but I recently found the Essex, CT model yacht club's pond. Sheesh. They've got picnic tables, grills, a DOCK, permanent racemarks.....

What would you want in a pond? We have issues with our local fishermen and they balk at permanent racemarks. We also have a vandalism issue - not serious, but bored kids WILL have their fun.

Go ahead - cost is no issue, vandals don't exist and fishermen are banned.......
Old 01-09-2004, 02:39 PM
ec12-1582

Default RE: The perfect pond?

Ok Rob, you asked, and here's the wish list.

(And if I ever have enough money to buy land and open a hobby shop, this will be on site-kind of like a 20 acre RC Boat event stadium)

Pond- At least 800 x 500ft. (Bigger than many current EC12 Sites and large enoug for a good modified Olympic Course). Depth at shore line at least 36inches. Power retractable bouys arranged to take advantage of prevelant winds. By using a control panel, the course can be changed by raising or lowering bouys. (Did I mention this needs to be on a Plateau with no wind obstructions.)

Hydraulic Launch and Recovery Cradles. (This is the cool part- a cradle that you place your boat in that lowers or raises the boat into/out of the water. No more kneeling in goose crap-several would be nice.)

A wide asphalt walkway around the pond so you don't fall into the muskrat holes as your following the boat around the course.

A covered pavillion with set up tables and benches so each sailor has a covered area and room for his gear, close enough to the shore to control the boat in the event of rain. Each table to have electrical outlets for chargers, etc.

A snack bar in the pavillion.

A covered spectators area.

Easily accessible restrooms.

A Hobby Shop on site that carries RC Sailing parts should you have a breakdown. Said hobby shop also needs a workshop area available to boaters for repairs, assistance, etc.

A storage facility where folks can store their boats, sails and equipment with out having to transport them.

Hawks on sight to eliminate Canada Geese!!!

Open to the Public with rental boats and instructors available.

Close to major roads/highways so anyone can find it.

A clubhouse with bar for all us RC'ers.

Adjacent to a public park making it easy for folks to find us.

I wish this sport was more well known, then maybe my business model would work.

Chris
Old 01-12-2004, 11:08 AM
RobStagis

Now we're talking Lifts and retracting marks.....I LIKE it.

Anybody else?
Old 01-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Bill McW

I think everything was pretty well covered above.
I would add 50-cent beer and 75-80 degree weather all year with wind speeds from 5-12 mph.
Oh yea....the water must be crystal clear with a smooth pebble bottom because we want to see our keels as well as the boat that sunk last year
Finally, sailing is from a lee shore all year long.

Bill
Old 01-22-2004, 08:49 AM
RobStagis

Ring babes - just to get sexist - holding up the heat number announcements. Oh, wait - we have 2 female skippers.....OK, OK - Ring hunks and babes, alternating . 'Bat' boys...what do they call 'em in full-size marinas? The guys working the docks? To launch, retrieve and service.

Actually, I'm a Scoutmaster, and just being mercenary, I've encouraged my Eagle Scout candidates to do 'pond improvement' projects for their Eagle project: more benches, a grill, etc. After all, it's public property!!! And improvements will benefit the public!!!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:53 AM
LarryLudwig

Add one more thing... and I lived across the street from it in Plantation Florida. A LARGE carved wooden sign... just the way the ones are in the STATE PARKS... and it says. MODEL SAILBOATS ONLY. I have never seen one before or since... I am no fan of Florida, I was based flying out of MIA and stuck there... but I have to say one thing..... you could live there 100 years... and sail every day... and NEVER hit all the local ponds. Everytime they dig a hole to build something they hit water, and leave a pond.

Now... I LOVE TEXAS.. and I am back home... but we are really hurting for water over here.
The ideal pond here is one that is wet and less than 45 minute drive away....
Old 02-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Bill McW

The perfect pond right now would be one without ice covering it

Bill