Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Rudder travel

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Rudder travel

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 11:13 PM
kknox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder travel

I need more than 45 degrees of rudder travel, Futaba... any ideas?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:20 AM
pompebled

Default RE: Rudder travel

45 degrees to both sides?
Why?
Need brakes?

Do tell!

Jan.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:22 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Longer or shorter link-arms? Long on the servo, short on the rudder?!

Maybe a pull-pull system? Probably your best bet...
Old 04-28-2004, 08:29 AM
LtDoc

kknox,
At some point, a rudder begins to 'slip' or 'skid' through the water rather than contributing any directional control. It can happen at more than 45 degrees or less than that, depends on several factors. At that point the rudder causes more drag than mere surface friction would account for, changing the rudder to a 'brake'. The manufactuor of the radio/servo makes no difference, they will all do it. "DR_Wogz" post about servo and tiller arms is probably the easiest way of going about it. Or, if you have one of the radio systems that uses 'digital' servos, you would probably have a programing option that would allow this 'over-travel'.
My curiosity is killing me! Why do you want to do this?
- 'Doc
Old 04-28-2004, 01:08 PM
LarryLudwig

I totally agree... more rudder travel is not always a good thing. If you are being overpowered by wind... the rudder is not going to fix it. Those crafty guys back in ancient times sailed without rudders, and when you take your Captains exam you are allowed to demonstrate your sailing technique without a rudder... so... try adjusting your rig... particularly flattening out your sails as the winds pick up and balancing the rig fore/aft so that the center of effort is correct and normally you should find that you have need for even less rudder. If you put over 45+ plue rudder make sure your brake lights work because the guy behind you will slam into you ! If in a race, everytime you touch the rudder, you are slowing the boat. You might be in for a larger rudder? Perhaps you are just way too small there... or a different style rudder. Balanced rudders are much more efficient and take less servo power to manipulate.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:48 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

having sailed and raced many a full sized sial boat, I know that you don't need too much rudder (uless you were caughht, and forced to do your 720) for course correction / maintenance.

Sailboats (keel boats) 'broach' when there is too much power in the sails, which casues the bow to point into the wind, no matter how much rudder is applied. It just turns into a giant brake!! You then have to dump teh sails, bear off, and harden up [sails in] again, to get the speed back. In strong winds, you always play the sails, or get more bodies out of the boat (hiking out). As for RC sailing, lessen teh sails in strong winds to stop teh broaching..

I had originally thoguht, taht his application might be for a powered boat, like a tug or such, that could require a very tight turning circle...

silly me.. sailboat forum!!
Old 05-12-2004, 10:22 AM
kknox

Thanks for your replys. The mast weighs too much. My last boat had a little mast, when I built this one it was a lot bigger. I sanded it to the dimensions of the first mast and now the control is where it should be. Thanks for your help.